Firing a kiln indoors

I'm still learning as I go and have been firing my small 120v kiln inside my living room, since the plugs are all standard. I have been reading about the health hazards of the fume associated with firing and now have moved my kiln in an outside building. Now I'm worried about the fumes I've been breathing for the past 12 months. I've been firing 5 days a week for 12 months. How bad is this? I'm scared that I may have caused serious damage by these fumes. I know a lot of people work around hazardous fumes everyday for years and years, but I thought I'd see if any more experienced potters could offer advice.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies

Re: Firing a kiln indoors

While kilns should always be properly vented and fumes associated with firing is a concern, I wouldn't be overly concerned now that you've corrected the situation after just a year. If you were firing lead glazes or fuming copper, etc, I probably be more worried, but from my understanding, mostly effects are cumulative over years.
0 Likes

Thank you Barbara! You are eased my worries : )
0 Likes

Hi! I think it depends on how big and well ventilated your living room is and how often you fired. In my experience the most emissions are during the heating up phase when you have the lid cracked to let out all the organic material gases and at the high point when your clay/glaze reaches maturity. You are probably ok, but you may want to address these concerns to your kiln manufacturer's tech support or an ear nose and throat doctor.

0 Likes

I will help you to sell more on etsy ! I can post your shop to my large facebook group. You will receive more than 4000 users from it. Visit https://bit.ly/2DsL72X to proceed FPGVIVTYzt

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.