Embedded metal?

Hi there! I'm new to this group, and hoping someone here can answer my question. I make ceramic jewellery, and so far I just bore holes in my pieces and use metal bails or wire to string the pieces on cords. However, I'd love to be able to embed metal pieces (hoops, earring backs, etc) into my pieces. I've spent a fair chunk of time with google trying to figure this out, but haven't found any clear answers. Is there a type of metal I can safely use for this? Does anyone manufacture findings for this purpose? It looks like I could use titanium or nickel for this, just going by their melting temperatures, but I don't really want to experiment with a kiln that I share with the rest of the studio members!

Thanks,
Maggie.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Re: Embedded metal?

Hi Maggie,

I've used Kemper Tools high temperature wire to fire loops into ornaments up to cone 6. Google "high temp wire for ceramics". Think it's generically known as kanthal wire if you want other sources. If you want to go for that rustic look, there's always old electric kiln elements, but they might be thick and brittle.

Good Luck!
Barbara
0 Likes

Thank you very much Barbara!
0 Likes

Hi Maggie! Try nichrome wire. You can get it at ceramic suppliers in different guages or as little hooks. Good luck!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.