Former_Member
Not applicable

Can Anyone Guess The Glazes On This Piece? It Was Suppose To Be From The 60's

I saw this piece in this Etsy Shop - https://www.etsy.com/listing/129349907/gorgeous-mid-century-modern-abstract?ref=tre-2722734271-3

It is listed as from the 60's. I would love to reproduce the glaze effects on it. Any ideas? I generally work in white bodied stoneware cone 5 to 7. I would love to reproduce the effects. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks blessings.

Pastor Dan, Martha's Chapel School of Pottery

www.schoolofpottery.com
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Replies

Re: Can Anyone Guess The Glazes On This Piece? It Was Suppose To Be From The 60's

Oh gosh, there's a lot going on there. Maybe started with a stony semi matt white glaze over all and then from the 3rd photo that views the vase from the top angle, it looks like they partially dipped in other glaze/glazes cuz of the lines. The pink looks like it possibly comes from chrome ox so maybe a wash was applied? The tan might be rutile breaking in the blue glaze or maybe a wash applied as well. Looks like a warmer stoneware clay than white, and if it was made by a studio potter rather than manufactured, I'd guess fired cone 10 in a gas kiln but pretty oxidized.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Looks like you'll have a challenging project on your hands. Best of luck!
0 Likes

Re: Can Anyone Guess The Glazes On This Piece? It Was Suppose To Be From The 60's

I too would guess cone 10 but because of the red I am sure it was a reduction. And a rutile blue glaze over white mat. The red looks more copper than iron to me, though from the little I see of the foot I believe it was red stoneware so might be it is just showing up through the base white mat glaze. Good luck reproducing.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.