Former_Member
How do you do your lettering? I either free hand or print out the font I want and use transfer paper, but I need to be able to produce my signs faster. Any suggestions?
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Lettering

I have a Silhouette. I found out that you can make bridges in fonts by using the knife tool. There are several Youtube videos that demonstrate how to use it. I'm not sure if it can be done on the Cricut software, but the Silhouette Studio software has it.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I apologize for not replying sooner Nicole!! I use my own editing software I've had for years- Corel makes it, its called Paint shop Pro. That's how I design my stencils, and I use the erase tool to make the bridges, and then fill them in by hand after its painted. I hope that makes sense!!
I'm currently experimenting with different materials to use than the mylar film I've used for the past few years, because it doesn't always lay flat and drives me insane with bleeding at times. I've tried vinyl as a stencil, and its too thick. I am going to try Dura Lar, but any other suggestions would be great! Thanks :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, I am new to the Sign group and I now this is an older thread but I thought I would put in my experience. I also use a Silhouette Cameo to design and cut my stencils but I use contact paper instead of vinyl and it works great and so much cheaper than using vinyl. (Contact paper is the materiel that you would use for lining drawers and such. I buy my rolls at Home Depot.) Because it has an adhesive back it sticks right onto my wood and has very little bleeding. Of course I have to place all of the a's, o's, g's, e's, etc. by hand, but it works fine. You can reuse it a few times but you have to be careful because it sticks to itself easily. I hope that helps someone!
0 Likes

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have used vinyl. Sometimes the paint would bleed thru them. Then my work is doubled. Then have to go back and paint up by hand. I will look for more vinyls that can stick better. But, I like to change the fonts. Is there a good vinyl to use?
0 Likes
EllisonMade
Inspiration Seeker

I use a few different methods for stenciling. Because I am trying to run a business, I try to keep my materials at a minimum without sacrificing quality. Vinyl is a great stencil, but it is entirely too expensive to use as a stencil for one time use so I use contact paper instead that you can find in the laundry/kitchen section (around $5 a roll). I use Silhouette Studio, but only have a Portrait. I paint my base color, transfer the contact paper and then paint over the contact paper (another tip is to mod podge over the contact paper before painting to reduce any bleeding).

I also use cardstock if I'm hand-painting small amounts or using a paint pen (I did this for my "it is well" sign). I use it as a stencil and just paint within it. OR if I'm doing an image or something relatively simple, I cut it out of cardstock, use easy-tack spray to stick it down and then paint over it.

And yes, if you have silhouette, just use the knife tool to cut your bridges. You'll sometimes need to cut in two different places to make the bridge large enough. Hope this helps :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I do the same thing as Allison... I use contact paper and cut it out with my cameo. much cheaper than vinyl. And I use mod podge to help minimize any bleeding that could occur. I make larger signs currently though, but am going to produce a few smaller, non customized items for which I may try the grafix sheets for reusable stencils, but how do you prevent bleeding since it they aren't sticky on the back? Or are they?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use a Cricut Explorer to cut my stencils that I design in PhotoShop. I do not use any adhesive. I use 12x12 cardstock for my stencils. I like this process.
0 Likes

All my work is painted. I give you all credit that work with vinyl and the machines. I tried....and failed.

Hand painting is the way to go for me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dawn, how do you get such clean lines without using some sort of stencil? What brush and paint and technique do you use? I would love to learn!
0 Likes

Dawn I paint all my work just like you do. Jessica is right, you do an awesome job! Sometimes I think it might be easier if I did use stencils or vinyl for those signs with lots of words, but deciding on what machine to buy and learning how to use it seems like a lot of new work for me. So for now hand painting is my way also.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you have problems with bleeding under vinyl, after the vinyl has been squeegied down, paint the letters with the background color before painting with the letter color.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jessica how do you take the modge podge off once you're one? I would'nt mind trying that technique. I use mylar or durlar. It works the best for my stencils!
0 Likes

I guess I should re-word my last reply. "Most" of my work is hand lettered. I do now stock some signs that I've ordered stencils for.

But my canvas's and frames are all hand painted and hand lettered. Sometimes it's a tedious job, but for me it's my stress reliever :) The smallest thinnest brush I can find, and most times I'm sitting on the couch with the canvas or frame on my lap, and happily lettering as I listen to the tv. :)

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very cool, Dawn! I have been practicing hand lettering too. Do you do an outline transfer that you paint in?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use a Silhouette Cameo also and cut my stencils out of contact paper. Very cheap and if the wood is clean no bleeding. If I am working on more of a uneven surface I paint with the sign color then the lettering color. That way you never see any bleeding.
0 Likes
MainelyMae
Inspiration Seeker

Those of you using contact paper with your cameo what settings are you using. I find I am tearing them so much or some letters will cut well and then on the same page another will not. Would love to know your settings!
0 Likes
MamaSaysSigns
Inspiration Seeker

I use contact paper from the dollar store it's a bit thicker the brands home deco .its thicker then the contact brand of shelf liner and I find it sticks easier. My depth is 6 or 7
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.