Former_Member
Not applicable

Lettering

How do you do your lettering? I either free hand or print out the font I want and use transfer paper, but I need to be able to produce my signs faster. Any suggestions?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
41 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Lettering

Stencils. Vinyl particularly. They stick wonderfully on the wood with minimal bleeding. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I cut my own stencils with a Silhouette Cameo from Dura Lar, Clear Lay or vinyl and use a very light spray adhesive. I use the traditional method of stenciling and have no bleed through. I'm very happy with my method.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, I second it; vinyl is the way to go. Less mess, great adhesion.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I can see why you would want a better method. I have a Silhouette Cameo and design and cut my own stencils using Grafix 5 mm Clear Lay. I have tried various products but find the Clear Lay works best. I use stencil adhesive and have no bleed. I no longer use vinyl.
Before I got my Cameo, I purchased my stencils from online vendors but soon found it cost prohibitive. I have more than paid for my Cameo with what I've saved. Grafix Clear Lay is fairly inexpensive, and the stencils can be quite easily cleaned and reused. Hope this helps. Message me if you have any other questions.
0 Likes

Hi all! I actually have a silhouette cameo as well and this is how I cut my own stencils too! I use the Grafix 7 mil although I may try going down a size but just recently ordered quite a few rolls so will have to wait until this is done before I purchase more.

I am curious though what the vinyl is? Please excuse my ignorance as I have always stenciled with what I use!

Hope all are doing well. Take care. Heather.
0 Likes

I have heard several people complain about vinyl peeling. I thought about trying it until all of that. I buy stencils and paint by hand. I do not use any adhesive. I do not use spray paint - just a stencil brush. A few items I do by hand. Just depends.
0 Likes

Heather - Vinyl is like the plastic type stuff that you see on cars - sort of like a bumper sticker. That is a bad description but not really sure how to describe it :) It sticks onto the wood or what ever surface you are using.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Excuse my ignorance, also, Heather, but does the vinyl come with a peel off backing that sticks to the wood? Doesn't it tear also? And can it be reused?
0 Likes

Hi Nicole, thanks for the insight regarding the vinyl!
0 Likes

I have never worked with vinyl myself Kit but what it sounds like is that you cut it out (cricut gets used a lot for this) and then there are various types of transfer paper used to get it into place. It is sticky on one side and is supposed to stay stuck once in place.

I would be afraid of it being crooked or bubbling or something LOL
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi! :). I use my cricut to cut stencils from 5 mm clear lay milar film. No adhesive, just tape to hold in place while I paint.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Jackie,
Where do you purchase your 5 mm clear lay molar film from? Are you purchasing sheets or rolls?
Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Shannon I buy it from http://www.misterart.com/. I usually buy it in the roll because I use so much and it lasts me quite awhile. :)
0 Likes
LEVinyl
Post Crafter

For our signs we use an interior vinyl. We design all of the designs ourselves. Our interior vinyl is a high grade self-adhesive that does not require any extra form of protection. We also carry an exterior vinyl that is made to be used outdoors and withstand the elements! It lasts up to 15 years in any weather!
0 Likes
MainelyMae
Inspiration Seeker

I just purchased a Silhouette Cameo. I bought it with the intent of making my own stencils. Could anyone tell me who uses one now how to obtain bridges in my fonts? Are there fonts you can purchase with bridges in them? I am ending up with O's with no middles and so on. Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also have a Silhouette Cameo. I purchased MAKE THE CUT software that I use instead of what comes with the Silhouette. It has a very easy way to put in the bridges. It has been invaluable to me. Contact me if you want any further information.
Kit
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jackie thank you for letting me know! Sorry I'm just now getting back!
0 Likes

Jackie, How do you put bridges in? I have a cricut expressions 2 and spent lots of money on materials and fonts only to discover that none of them work to make actual stencils because there are no bridges. I even contacted Cricut directly and did not receive help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Nicole, I'm not sure how Jackie does it but there is software that works with Cricut called Make The Cut. It has an eraser feature to put in the bridges. I don't know if Silouhette software works with Cricut, but Lottie, from our team, bought that and says it works.
0 Likes

I will check on that. Right now I have $350 invested into it and it isn't doing me any good. Thanks
0 Likes

I just looked it up and it says they are no longer compatible with the cricut
0 Likes

I was reading about the cameo but there are very mixed reviews
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My cameo works perfectly. And I really like the Make The Cut software. Several others on here have a Cameo also.
0 Likes

That's what I had heard so I wanted to check it out but I was finding a lot of reviews that after 3-6 mths people stopped using them because they didn't work as good. I will definitely look into it more. Thank you.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.