understanding the tags in your stand alone store

can you use the same tags as you do for etsy or should they be different for a stand alone store
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: understanding the tags in your stand alone store

Jennifer,

The tags that you use on your product listings are only for filtering and search purposes within in your store. They don't have any impact on SEO. So if you want site visitors to be able to find items in your store with various tags, use those. This info comes from a chat I had online at Shopify with a guru :)

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I recommend you to use maximum 3 tags on your shopify website. Too much tags hurt your seo. Dont compare it with etsy, etsy uses tags in a different way.
0 Likes

Julie can you explain where you got that information? I've read so much about SEO on Shopify but can't find that anywhere. Tags are not for Google SEO, only for helping customers find what they're looking for in the internal search of your store, so I don't see what harm it can do to have a lot of tags. Don't want to screw it up though if you know something i dont!!
0 Likes

Shari

If you have too many tags then it becomes difficult for a customer o to find what they need, since the tags get listed in the drop-down under the collections.

I paint pet portraits at https://portraits-by-nc.com/collections/dog-oil-portraits

If you click that link, you will see ALL TAGS and once clicked the different breeds (like Poodle, Yorkie, etc) show up. If I would add a tag such as brown Poodle then Brown Poodle and Poodle would both show, which would be overkill.

Hope that helps!
0 Likes

OH MY - good thing I read this!!I just started working on my shop and added a ton of tags (after only getting 13 here, I went NUTS)... I guess I will have to go back and do some editing. So much to learn!!
0 Likes

Are there areas where we should use more tags?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.