Former_Member
Not applicable

What do you look for in photos? #tryingtothinklikeacustomer!

Hi there,

I'm starting the process of revamping my store and I'm attempting to 'thinklikeacustomer'. I've asked myself these questions but I'd like to hear from others also.

I'm not after a shop critique. Just an honest answer of some questions.

I'm talking the five photos in a listing.

- when looking at these five photos, what do YOU like to see?

- is it helpful to use the entire five photos? why is it helpful?

- how do you like the five photos to be used?

Thank you for your time,

Ashleigh.
Creepy & Co
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What do you look for in photos? #tryingtothinklikeacustomer!

I like to see products in settings that evoke a "tone" of a given piece. So if I'm looking at a Tarot reading, a discreet quantity of "mystical" items beside the spread would help get me in the mood. If I were looking at earrings that were modern, I'd expect clean lines and bright lighting; if I were looking at a Renaissance-inspired pair of earrings, I'd expect heavier colors and more richly textured backgrounds.

The more different pictures you can take of your piece, the more of its "story"--and I'm big into product story!--you can tell. Just like if you sell drills, you don't actually sell drills--you sell the hole--sometimes it's not about what makes your piece different from someone else's, but how your piece makes that customer FEEL more distinctly and positively about themselves that encourages sales. (Whoa, long sentence, sorry!)

If there are different options available, too, using at least one of those photos to show off the options is fantastic. (People like customization, even if it's just a choice between two metals or something.) I have four decks that I regularly use for readings, so I took a picture of the Fool card from each and put them into a collage for the last image on every listing. That way, people can pick the deck they want for the reading! I've gotten some great positive feedback from repeat clients after I added that option.

I also filter EVERY ONE of my pictures, and I know that makes my photographer coworkers grit their teeth. I don't have time or expertise to tweak in Photoshop, unfortunately, and filters really do work to brighten up colors and make the picture more appealing. One day I'll be good enough to #nofilter, but it won't be anytime soon. (I'll prolly hire someone for pictures before then!)

For your photos, I love the richly textured wood behind some of your products--makes me think "Old house that maybe might be haunted," which fits your store name and theme--and the odd paneling-floor behind the voodoo dolls specifically.

I think you might have fun with some "spooky but cute" props around your dolls in the future, and maybe switch up the locale. So do two pictures with that "basic" wood paneling to show front & back, then maybe two more in a different setting. (Outside? With other "ordinary" dolls to be extra spooky? No idea.) The last pic in your lineup, though, I really truly think should be all three dolls of the different colors together, so someone can see what you mean by "green" or "red." (Is it forest green and pinky red? Or is it blood red and mint green?)

I hope this helps! Great question.
0 Likes

oh man I thought I had a blog post about this but can't find it! that'll have to happen.

But oh yes, there are so many ideas on my "photo checklist" that I consider it a cardinal sin to not use all five slots. I like to see...

1) The whole item in one shot, with white space around it so it fits in a thumbnail and I can see it without scrolling. This is ESPECIALLY important if it's a long necklace or a candlestick or something vertical - don't make me scroll to see the item, pull the camera back.

2) Closeup of details

3) "Sense of scale" photo - in its natural, usable setting, next to known objects, so I know how big it is.

4) "Concrete scale" photo - next to a ruler that has both inches and centimeters to remove all doubt about dimensions.

5) Closeup of hardware. Jewelry, for instance, how's it clasp? Framed picture - how does it hang up?

6) Other angles. If I was in a store I'd pick this thing up and look at the back, side, bottom - I can't do that online, so give me a photo!

7) Photo of the item being worn, if it's an accessory. What kind of things does it go with?

8) Packaging, if gift packaging comes along with it and it's cute.

So that's 8 photos and you only have 5 spots - surely that justifies using them all! It's true, sometimes I get lazy and don't use all five, but if I'm serious about a listing? 5 it is!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I <3 spacefem's suggestions so hard.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all of your help peoples! Great suggestions that I'll definitely incorporate over the next couple of weeks when I re-jig my shop! =]
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.