New shop

So, I've been open for almost two months now and am wondering if anyone sees anything obvious that I am missing that needs to be changed? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New shop

Hi Shena,

Firstly, you've been open two months and made almost 40 sales!! That's good going, it really is. Well done!

Secondly, let's get to business :)

Your photographs and titles need some work. From just looking at most of your items main image, and the first portion of your title (which is what your buyer is confronted with in a search), you haven't made it easy to discern what the item actually is. I would like to see:
► The full item, showing the full phrase.
► A succinct title of what the item is

I see in the first photo you have the entire image there, but you should try to make the photo size the same dimensions of the thumbnail your given. For the larger signs, that you feel the writing would be to small to read, crop the photo, or edit the thumbnail, so that you can see the key part of the phrase or at least something that makes sense.

For the titles; the first three words are the main area that searches use, and that buyers can see, these need to describe your item as fully as possible, the rest can go after this, in the description, in your tags, or all three, I don't care as long as your first 3-4 words describe your item. i.e.
►'Painted Lyrics Sign. You Are My Sunshine. Yellow Wooden Sign.' or ►'Motivational Text Sign. Turquoise Teen Bedroom Decor. Not Perfect, Just Awesome'
►'Painted Wooden Bible Saying. Christian Home Gift. etc. etc.'
Choose which key phrase you think is most important. Then build your title of key 'searchable' phrases, because that is what buyers are searching with.

Additional photos. These are more important than you think. Your buyer can't touch, look up close, or turn your items round in their hands - so you need to do that for them. I would suggest getting (
1) a really good front on photo - as straight and centred as possible,
(2) a photo of either the full back, or just the hanging method,
(3) maybe a side view, so a buyer will know how far the sign will hang/sit from the wall,
(4) something showing a possible set up, so mock up (or just use your own living space if it's aspirational) a setting, show the buyer how it might look in their home/work space/wherever; or show it hung together with other signs from your shop, look how amazing they are together, how could anyone just buy one!
(5) buyers like to know that there item is not going to be damaged during postage, if you wrap it - show it wrapped, if it's in bubble wrap - show that, do you box it - get a picture on there.
What I do for my mine, is I have used one picture as my example for all my different prints, I have a collage of; the print in it's cellophane envelope, the print wrapped in tissue paper with a hand written tag (an extra free service I add, when requested), and a picture showing the hard-backed envelope.

A final point I would add, is to use your shop description - that is another area is used by search engines, so it is worth it. That needs to be key words heavy, but grammatical. Okay, so make sentences.

There's more to be tweaking once you have finished with all that, but these are some major things that need working on for now. Try to think visually, most decisions are going to be made with the eyes on Etsy - give them something good to look at!

Again, you're doing really well, you just need to stick at it now!
Marie.
0 Likes

Marie, thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed. I know I'm doing pretty well on here, but I also know there's always room for improvement.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

There is always room for improvement!! You'll find that you will constantly be tweaking and amending.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.