New Shop, Any Feedback is appreciated!

Photography help is especially welcome!

I just opened the shop last week, and definitely need help with photography. Where I take my pictures I don't have any natural light. Any low-cost suggestions for light that is not so yellow?

How are the item titles? Pricing?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: New Shop, Any Feedback is appreciated!

Hi Kristin,

Lighting can be very difficult. You've done a great job with showing different angles and getting clear, crips photos, and I love that you show your packaging and the t-shirt shot for scale. I'd suggest getting 2 or 3 more lights, use cool white bulbs as bright as you can find, and then use white boards set up at angles around the piece to bounce light around and minimize the harsh shadows. You could even set up a little DIY light box without a bottom so you can use that lovely wood grain background. There's lots of free software you can use that will help to remove any slight yellowish or bluish colour cast from your lighting setup.

Your tags definitely need some work. Use short phrases instead of single words - try to think of descriptive 2-3 word phrases that people might type into the search box.
0 Likes

I'm not sure what you might think about lightening up your background. The colors might pop a little more with a lighter color.
0 Likes

Hi!

I think you need to diffuse your light to reduce the harsh shadows and bright spots on your items. You can try to google for DIY light diffuser and see if any solution is suitable for you. If you use yellow light you may need to find an photo editing software and adjust the White balance of the photos so that they are less yellowish.
0 Likes

Hi Kristin!
I really like your packaging and the ring dishes are so pretty. If taking item photos with a smart phone, there are some really handy apps for creating images that have a very pro feel. PS Express and VSCOcam are two that work well and have a lot of tools to play with while still remaining user friendly. If at all possible, get your items into some natural light! Also, playing with camera angles to avoid deep shadows would be good. Lastly, are you going for a 'demo' photo when your items are pictured with a t-shirt? I would enjoy seeing them on an actual model...close up. Or maybe on a display bust?
I am still working on undersranding titles myself, so I don't feel qualified to comment there!
I hope that helps!
Natalie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Congratulations on a great shop looks super with sales already! I would recommend for lighting setting up by a window with natural lighting that seems to work best for jewelry. Keep up what you are doing it is working!
Best of luck to you,
Victoria
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Shop looks nice! I know for pictures when you have trouble with light you can actually use a car sun reflector to help with lighting. Bounce natural light off the reflector onto the area where your pieces are for a more natural light look. Hope that makes sense.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Adorable jewelry! As a buyer, it would be great to see the product on an actual person. I would like to know how big to expect the earrings to look on my ears and things like that. Maybe find a friend to take photos or model your products for you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

u can find cheap equipment on ebay . wont cost u much
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think you are off to a great start, and that if you fix the issue you noticed (lighting in pics) then you will be golden.
I had almost this exact same problem with the first batch of pictures I took. My products are a bit different, but what I did was I took my pics outside.
On a semi cloudy day with no direct sunlight on the actual item, there don't seem to be any harsh shadows or glare, and it costs basically nothing.
Even if you do decide to get some equipment I would suggest trying outside.
Also, as someone else commented earlier, having things that are wearable actually being worn by a person in the picture is a really good idea.
Hopefully that helps, good luck!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.