Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get your shop ready for the Etsy Design Awards!

Hi all!

We hope you’ve heard about the 2019 Etsy Design Awards, which will recognize the work of extraordinary sellers from around the world and across multiple categories. Eligible sellers can submit one item from their shop for a chance to win $15,000 USD among other prizes.

For more information on the Etsy Design Awards and eligibility, click here.

To help you get your listing ready for submission, we’re kicking off a peer-to-peer listing critique with this thread!

Here’s how it works:

• Reply to this thread giving the listing above one tip for improvement (i.e. Are they using all 13 tags? Have they captured all the right angles in their images? Do they offer competitive shipping?), and one thing that’s working well.
  • Share the listing you plan to submit (or a similar one) in your comment as well.

Happy critiquing and best of luck, all!

[No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. & DC, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Russia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and Vietnam, who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory of residence, who are Etsy Sellers in good standing, as determined by Etsy, in its sole discretion. Ends 11:59:59 PM ET on May 28, 2019 (04:59:59 AM GMT +1 on May 29, 2019). Void where prohibited. Subject to Official Rules, available at www.etsydesignawards.com.]

50 Likes
415 Replies
EDCCollective
Community Member

Re: Get your shop ready for the Etsy Design Awards!

After reading the info on eligibility, I refreshed my page and still did not see a listing for me to comment on so I am going to post my listing below. If someone has posted by the time I finish this post, I will comment on it.

Here is the listing I am thinking about submitting since I know I can have availability during the required times.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/508361285/16-x-20-gallery-wrapped-canvas-nature

11 Likes
FenderMinerals
Community Member

Love those prints.  The only suggestion I have is to separate all of the various prints into each a single listing.  First it will shorten your descriptions which is great for the mobile device user and secondly give you more positions in search.  Congratulations on a beautiful shop.

11 Likes
Odaka
Registered Member

Hello,

I agree with FenderMinerals, I would also separte some prints (maybe by category),

I would also suggesst to take a few steps back when you take the photos, or just not cropping them so much.

I really liked the birds series. Maybe you should open a listing of Bird prints...

Good luck,

David

0 Likes
TibsDesignCo
Registered Member

Beautiful art!! I would agree, splitting up the listing would be helpful when buyer is searching. The photos are great! I might suggest the watermark to be smaller and placed near the bottom of the canvas or somewhere half on and half off the canvas so they know it is a watermark but so that you can really showcase the art more.

1 Like
BHClaysmith
Community Member

I found the listing a bit confusing because it was for so many different pieces. When I read the description, I found the pictures were from several different series and was wondering why you didn't list each series individually, showing the artwork perhaps hanging on the wall or in a room setting where I could get a feel for size and visual appeal.  I found some of the photographs quite wonderful and would have loved to be able to spend some time seeing them in different appropriate settings.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192611990/paisley-intaglio-flexible-rubber-stamp?ref=shop_home_active_9...

3 Likes
before7am
Registered Member

Response

Definitely participate!

You're very detailed in your description and have strong images, my feedback:

- get separate listings for each of your images and then focus the listing only on this particular image I feel it's clearer for the buyer

- If possible get pictures on how the image look like on a wall or in a frame

Keep up the great work!

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

Lovely Art!  Your photos are beautiful as well.

I do agree with separating your listings, for the same reasons FenderMinerals stated.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
JeremyAshcroftMaps
Registered Member

Lovely artwork. I’d recommend shipping world wide, limiting sale just to the US is definitely reducing possible sales. I ship from the UK regularly to the US and Europe and there are rarely any issues with the postal system. Any lost items will more than be made up for by increased sales.

Best wishes,

Jeremy.

1 Like
EDCCollective
Community Member

Thanks everyone, definitely some good food for thought and things I should work on as I am able.

1 Like
GoodNiteGracie
Community Member

Beautiful! I would suggest (as other have) to separate the listings. Also, to add a photo from the side (to see the depth of the canvas) and the back (to see how it has been framed.) And also hanging on the wall. Just my opinion. Love your work. >^..^<

1 Like
PatsysPressedFlowers
Community Member

Etsy may  like it better without the watermarks. 

Beautiful work! Good luck! 

0 Likes
SeijaNeumyer
Community Member

Love the lizards! I too would suggest making a listing for each one, so you can get more visibility and show more details. If it's possible, a photo showing the painting in a room for context would be great. 

0 Likes
JensgemzStore
Registered Member

Hi, here is my listing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/600226476/vinyl-only-personalised-balloon-vinyl

0 Likes
BurntEarthHorseHair
Community Member

I really liked your shop polices section. Great job on that. Gave me some ideas to improve my own. The canvas photo prints look outstanding but agree with others on the mixing up might make it hard for person to find what they are looking for. Good luck. MikeT 

0 Likes
BurntEarthHorseHair
Community Member

Hi all! 

Here is the listing I would submit for the Etsy Design Awards. Please tell me what you are thinking about .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/684217538/new-release-one-of-a-kind-terra?ref=shop_home_active_4&frs=1

Thank you,

MikeT

3 Likes
EDCCollective
Community Member

I love  horse hair raku pottery. I am used to the white but the red is nice too. I found the description of one of your slip names to be distracting. I liked your photos but if you could also show the tops and bottoms of the pots, I think that would be a good addition. You might want to work the word raku into one of your tags. Good luck.

2 Likes
GegotPaintings
Community Member

Hi all! 

Here is the listing I would submit for the Etsy Design Awards. Please tell me what you are thinking about .

https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/611353166/tableau-abstrait-bleu-orange-original?ref=shop_home_active...

Thank you !

2 Likes
FenderMinerals
Community Member

Beautiful!  Free shipping is a nice touch for canvas, as a buyer I would have no clue what shipping is and might be stunned otherwise.  The price seems very fair.   The only tip is to use Bitly.com to shorten your links, it makes the description neater.  Good luck in the contest.

3 Likes
Odaka
Registered Member

Hello,

I really like the colors of this work. It's such a nice combination...

I would suggest to add more distance photos. You have only zoomed photos, and one digital salon.

I think I would have wanted to see it in more rooms/atmospheres/homes, just so it would help me imagine how it will look in my home...

Good luck,

David

4 Likes
TibsDesignCo
Registered Member

I love the canvas!! This is definitely something I would choose for my own home! I would suggest the photo with a chair, rather than a large couch, or something smaller. The couch is making the canvas look smaller when it is alone on the wall and it is not that small of a piece. It would seem cozy with a chair and the lamp and a fun accent pillow that matches. I know that is a big change but it is such a neat piece, it could maybe seem like more of a statement. I love that you staged it, I don’t have a space to take photos like that so I just get excited when I think about it! ☺️

Great canvas!!

2 Likes
BHClaysmith
Community Member

A painting is such a personal expression, one which comes from an inspiration only the artist feels, so I like to know what inspired the artist to create the artwork. Why these colors... why this subject... why the technique used...

Tell me why I should buy this to hang over my sofa or in my office! I do find the colors appealing but the name of the work is lacking; I would rather see a name which makes me want to study the piece up close and far away. A name and description which gives me some insight into the soul of the artist...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192611990/paisley-intaglio-flexible-rubber-stamp?ref=shop_home_active_9...

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

You are a gifted Artist; beautiful work!  And the photos are lovely.

I'm not an expert by any means.  But I think it would be helpful to have this phrase in your Tags: "textured abstract".  It is in your Title and I believe matching it in your Tags would benefit you.

Good Luck to you! 

0 Likes
GoodNiteGracie
Community Member

My suggestion is to add a photo from the side (to see the depth of the canvas) and the back (to see how it has been framed.)Love your work.

0 Likes
Metamask
Registered Member

These are some of my favorite colors, the painting emanate good vibration and calmness. The picture with the couch look fake. Did you do it in photoshop? Painting to flat, some dropshadow would help to give it some context with the rest and some texture on the wall. Wall seems to overexpose. Congratulation.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.