filing sales tax

The instruction booklet for filing MI sales tax states "If your gross sales during the year are less than $5000, you do not need to collect or pay sales tax." That would be me. But my question is, even though I don't owe anything, do I still have to file to show what my gross sales were? It seems I should, but when I fill out the form, it says I owe $100 in sales tax. I don't want to pay if I don't have to. Not sure what to do.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies
BloomingOak
Conversation Maker

Re: filing sales tax

Where did you read that you do not need to pay sales tax? The only spot in the instructions where I see that is specifically for non-profit organizations. Even so, if you have collected any sales tax from your Michigan customers your must remit it to the state.
0 Likes

p.3, right hand column The only sales I had off of Etsy were wholesale and didn't collect tax. If I figure the tax due on Michigan sales on Etsy, I would owe 25c. Which would round up to be 0. I know it's down to the wire now. I've tried to call several times, and after being on hold a while, I get disconnected. It's getting very frustrating.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Does it make a difference if etsy collected it? That's how my sales are set up. Last year wasn't even near $600.

0 Likes
BloomingOak
Conversation Maker

On pg 3 of this year's instruction booklet, the $5,000 figure is referring to non-profit organizations. I don't see it anywhere else. If you have a sales tax license, you must file. You are also obligated to pay use tax (on non COGS supplies) if you did not pay sales tax when you bought. If you collected any sales tax from any customers you must remit. If you had sales in MI that were wholesale, you report those as a deduction from your total sales.

Susan, not sure what you mean by your question. If you sold on Etsy to MI customers and sales tax was collected, that money came to you (Etsy did not keep it) and you must remit it to the state.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I haven't sold anything to a Michigan customer in 3 years. With my small amount of sales that was easy to check.
0 Likes

Ellen, I don't know how I didn't read the nonprofit part! Thanks for pointing that out.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.