custompetandtack
Community Member

Etsy pop up message on convo page about my response time

Is anyone else seeing this message on your conversation page?

"We recommend responding to new messages within 2 hours, so keep up the great work. Tell us what's working for you."
"Initial messages responded to in under 2 hours have over a 40% higher conversion rate that slower response times."

There's also a link to click "tell us what's working for you" and it's a survey to complete.

Really?  So now etsy is recommending I should respond to new messages within 2 hours?

I don't sit at the computer 24/7 nor do I work 24/7.  I have items to sew & other things to do.

I  check messages around 7 am, again at 1 pm & the last time I check them is around 6-7 pm then no more until the next morning. I think 3 times a day is plenty enough to check convo's.

I didn't know what topic this should go under since we no longer have just a general discussions/questions option so I figured customer service was the best.

I think Etsy should practice what they preach since sometimes emails to support go un-answered for days or never answered.

120 Likes
187 Replies
AuntSusansCloset
Community Member

Re: Etsy pop up message on convo page about my response time

Oh boy, I haven't seen that yet.

1 Like
MixieAndMoxie
Community Member

Seriously ... who the heck answers a convo during the night at 2am?  My phone is off.

Your last sentence is Perfection!  Not only does it apply to email support, but also to the many issues posted in Bugs which are not fully addressed with an answer or solution for weeks or more.

21 Likes
BeachFleaMarket
Community Member

I'm kicking myself for not adding this to my comments. I mentioned that my phone is turned off at work, driving, church. I originally thought that the conversion was tied to reading messages because not all messages need a response. At some point a conversation must end. I can see us saying "thank you' or "okay" over and over again.

4 Likes
CraftyMamaGifts
Community Member

Hahaha...me! I'm crazy about checking my phone for convos. I sleep with it next to my bed and wake up several times a night to check it. (I'm a little obsessive, lol!) Probably why I don't sleep well!

4 Likes
MixieAndMoxie
Community Member

Oh @CraftyMamaGifts 

LOL.

Sleep always comes before convos!

4 Likes
CraftyMamaGifts
Community Member

@MixieAndMoxie  I sure wish I could! I just don't sleep well, never have. I figure why not answer convos with all this extra time LOL!!!

2 Likes
hopeandjoyhome
Community Member

@CraftyMamaGifts  I say this out of concern..bad sleep is BAD for your health. Leave your phone in another room. Unless you have an ill aging parent or teens that are not home yet there is no reason to have it there. Any Etsy convo can wait until the morning. Sleep!

5 Likes
CraftyMamaGifts
Community Member

@hopeandjoyhomeI definitely know about the bad for your health part. The problem is, I've never slept well, not even long before the days of smart phones. It's really either lay in bed with my eyes wide open for an hour at a time, or try to do something productive. I keep thinking some day I'll get tired enough to sleep through the night, but it hasn't happened yet. :-( 

2 Likes
YourPaperStash
Community Member

Perhaps Etsy meant this to go their help department.  It takes them approximately 4 days to respond to messages.  

13 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

When I saw this I was like WTH is next? 

@MixieAndMoxie  I forgot about NO one from admin replying to most of the bugs threads or either get a generic answer that doesn't address the problem or tell sellers that reported problems that admin can't reproduce the error even though a lot of sellers can reproduce this error on multiple devices (especially the problems with PL's posted by @GRITSGirlz for 40+ days).

7 Likes
YourPaperStash
Community Member

Self reflection is not their strong suit.  

8 Likes
AnnaleasFinest
Community Member

Yeah, but they're not waiting for a sale from us anymore.

We're "won over"....;)

We're hooked.

1 Like
EverlastingsBySue
Registered Member

Every two hours seems extreme.   I guess we should answer convos in our sleep.   I will do my best!

2 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

I wonder what happened to the 24 hour response time Etsy added to our listings awhile back?
I assume it was a test since I don't see it now. 
I guess they're going to change it to a few hours.

@EverlastingsBySue  I see this on your listings. I know that last sentence is new.

"Request a custom order and have something made just for you.
This seller usually responds within a few hours."

I just posted in Bugs, I have the custom request button enabled in my shop and I'm not seeing it on my listings, ONLY on my shop home page, I checked using this account and my other account. So it seems this might be yet another useless test.

@EverlastingsBySue  I just went back and looked at some more of your listings and the rquest custom order link is missing on some of your items and it's there on some items.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Bugs-and-Technical-Issues/The-request-custom-order-link-is-NO-longer-o...

1 Like
CoxRetros
Community Member

I turn my phone off at night or leave it in the other room when I go to bed.  I'm not on-call day or night and I think most customers are reasonable about it.  I find that I get good sleep and can start the day with whatever happened overnight when I de-prioritize my stupid spybox phone!

2 Likes
Highlighted
InNonnasKitchen
Community Member

I have received this and completed the survey

My only reservation would be:

ETSY is a Global Platform, to respond 'within 2 hours' means one would have to staff 24/7 to reply to convos. This measurement is flawed.

ETSY assumes all convos are from customers. ETSY convo is also used for personal interaction with other ETSY shop owner and/or team members. 

No business has this measurement. Yes, it is good business sense to reply to customer's questions, but have yet to find a business that replies within 2 hours. I shop a lot online, and have sent inquiries on orders, Walmart, Target, even Amazon, and it normally takes 24 hours to get a reply, more if it is over the weekend, which I am happy with. I hate to receive "automated" replies, "someone will get to you shortly", I rather wait and get the reply to my question.  ETSY does not even reply to emails within 2 hours. I am not sure how informing me of how long it is taking me to reply to my messages helps me. I know how long it is taking me to reply

ETSY assumes all shops are full time businesses. Most shop owners are part time and/or do it as a hobby, and carve out time during the day/week to work on ETSY. I think that each shop knows how long it takes to reply to their messages. This is information that ETSY should not bother in collecting or wasting precious resources in tracking. There are other more important issues ETSY can focus on that will be of more value to us. 

One part of the survey that I find unsettling is the statement that ETSY keeps track of response time. My question would be "why?". What is this information being used for? Why isn't this part of the Seller Handbook? It would be important to understand if 'response time' is part of the algorithm? is it part of the "health of ETSY Shop"? what? are ETSY shops penalized for taking more than '2 hours' in replying?  I receive 40-60 messages daily, 75% are from customers. I check my messages as they arrive, if I feel the question is important (where is my order, when will it ship, etc), then I will stop what I am doing and I will reply; but if I feel the message can wait, I will reply to it when I do the 'administrative' aspect of my business.  I have personal messages from ETSY peers that I wait 2-3 days to reply. 

I am not going to tell ETSY how to manage their business, but before investing time and energy and resources, I would question if the information they collect is value added to customer or shop owners. Is there a 'bonus' or 'reward' for replying within 2 hours? 

39 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

My 1st thought was since Etsy seems to be tracking our response time now so what happens if we don't respond in 2 hours are they going to put our listings on the last page in search or worse, not show them at all?

4 Likes
barkrock
Community Member

This is SO hypocritical that I don't know where to begin!

A publically owned and traded corporation that offers virtually no real customer service and that takes days (if ever!) to respond to written inquiries, is preaching about how we as individual small shops, should be available 24/7 for customer inquiries?

Wow.

41 Likes
JDCreativeHands
Community Member

Pat, you think it might come under 'Customer & market experience' under search article which does say how search placement is performed.  If they are tracking this under the guise of helping us, I can also see it as a tool used to punish or favor shops.  Sorry I tend to go the negative route.    

6 Likes
cosediisa
Community Member

simply perfect Nonna

1 Like
DirtFrogFurniture
Registered Member

Your point about why Etsy is tracking is one of my key questions and feedback. Is response time added to the algorhythim for returning search results?  I don't know. And as many have said, it's good common sense and customer service to reply as quickly as possible but if a convo comes in at 11pm my time, they won't get a response from me till morning nor do I think anyone actually expects a response.

The metric has disappeared from my convo box today.

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Member

wow. even amazon gives sellers 2 business days to respond! this sounds like a fluke or something... 2 hours? i'm a buyer. last time i heard from a seller in 2 hours was way back during an auction on fleabay when i had a question about bidding. but that was rare and was only became seller was online also bidding on stuff herself! i hope yu guys get an answer, it sounds like mahem in the making to me. wow.

1 Like
StitchedbyBeverly
Community Member

On Amazon Handmade, sellers are expected to respond within 24 hrs (Amazon track messages responded to within 24hrs vs. over 24 hrs). 

2 Likes
QueenOfShenanigans
Community Member

Amazon also gives you the option to mark it as "no response needed".  There is no option for that here.

6 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.