I received and email from Etsy Trust and Safety team telling me that my shop has received a high volume of buyer complaints in relation to it's volume. As a result, it says my shop is below their customer service expectations. 

How can that be? I have 1000's of sales and a 5 star rating. I rarely get poor feedback. It also states this can lead to acct suspension. I'm so confused.

Anyone ever deal with this? 

GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Re: Email from Etsy Trust and Safety

Jump to solution

@DreamingBabies  One 1-star review divided by X Orders is not going to be 1% though, so even if it included last week you would not have crossed a 1% threshold of order defects.

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Jump to solution
1 Like
ThePoshRobin
Community Member

Jump to solution

Just want to let you know that I also received the same e-mail last week. It is legitimate, insofar as that it is actually from Etsy. However, I, like you, have enjoyed good sales and good reviews.  It seems that the recent one bad review (2nd time in 5 years, vs. hundreds of 5-star reviews) and one "case" recently opened against me by a customer who wanted a refund that she was not entitled to (case closed by Etsy Admin because was unfounded) has somehow flagged my shop to Etsy as "underperforming". I am in the process of hashing this out over e-mail with Etsy "Trust & Safety" as they refuse to communicate over the telephone. 

Just one more indication that Etsy is now fully willing to throw sellers under the bus in the name of profit. Oh, how I wish that Etsy had never gone "public"!

4 Likes
cindylouwho2
Community Member

Jump to solution

@ThePoshRobin   they were sending these before they went public. It's possible they may have widened the reasons for sending them now, but many of us got them years ago, if you read the thread. 

1 Like
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Jump to solution

I think it pays to take careful note of what Etsy says about the time frame they look at. Yes, it is from 90 days ago to 30 days ago - but that's not the end of it.

They also say they "look for improvement" before they send a warning.

So any recent bad reviews, cases, etc could be the trigger because RECENT issues would demonstrate there has been no improvement - in fact the same "order defect" is still happening. That could well trigger a search further back than the 90 days too, in order to detect a pattern of the error happening - and no improvement would be detected if there is a recent issue as well.

Also I doubt that a case being resolved in the seller's favor would mean it is not counted. Even when Etsy tells sellers the case has been decided in their favor, they often pay out the buyer themselves. So the seller doesn't have the refund deducted from their payment account, Etsy pays it out of their own funds under the Buyer Guarantee, in order to satisfy the buyer.

As far as I know in such cases, the buyer is unaware that the refund has NOT come from the seller, so they think they "won" as they got their refund. This has happened to me at least once that I am aware of since the Buyer Guarantee has been in place.

There are most likely thousands of cases in which both buyer AND seller are right (or in which neither is right), so Etsy forks out in those instances. I am quite sure that those cases will be counted as an Order Defect - they cost Etsy money.

3 Likes
Highlighted
TheGildedCrystalShop
Community Member

Jump to solution

I just joined this club "got the email this morning". I have not ventured on trying to sell on another platform due to this is not my only income, but I think it's time to start looking at my options. 

3 Likes
gertarasmussin
Community Member

Jump to solution

I would strongly advise anyone who relies mainly or exclusively upon Etsy for their income to open up other income streams as appropriate to your business. There ARE other sites for vintage and antiques. Sorry I am not expert in selling artisan so dont know of replacement Etsy handmade sites apart from Ebay. And there ARE other ways of selling than on market places - social media, blogs, own website, fairs and markets, consignment, etc. No one way is right for all sellers

3 Likes
gertarasmussin
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy legal have a habit of communicating via a mosaic of pasted in quotes from the Etsy handbook so their "communication" turns out to be smoke and mirrors. Remember also that Etsy have a (bad) reputation of applying their rules in a purely arbitrary way. So if you are a massive reseller with a shop full of fautiques or fauxhandmade you will get one interpretation. However if you are a small artisan or vintage seller you may well get another much harsher interpretation.

1 Like
MaidenLaneBoutique
Community Member

Jump to solution

Here is the issue with this "formula".  As we all know, not every buyer leaves a review.  I have another high volume shop in which I sell mostly supplies.  Out of every 50 sales, maybe 8-10 buyers leave a review.  So, if one of them is negative, is looks like 10% of my transactions are negative, but in reality, its more like .02% of TOTAL sales.  The "formula" should most definitely be based on TOTAL units sold.  

3 Likes
AbstractTrendz
Community Member

Jump to solution

I believe the "formula" is using total sales. If you get more than 1 bad review for every 100 sales than that's over 1% defect rate.

0 Likes
LynnsGemCreations
Community Member

Jump to solution

Ive just received this email today, really worried. Ive had a couple of recent 1* 2* reviews but in the overall amount of sales ive had its nothing. Maybe its because they were so close together. Im still having good reviews in amongst them.  Ive refunded a couple of unhappy customers just to keep them happy and avoid another review even when its not my fault.

My worry is if they decided to close my shop, what about my other two, would they close those too? Ive worked hard to build up a business on here. If they suspend do they suspend the other two aswell? If they suspend how do i get it unsuspended?

I have asked for a call back but so worried ive had to come on here to get some answers.

1 Like
AbstractTrendz
Community Member

Jump to solution

I feel your pain. I was really worried when I received the email 2 weeks ago. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. First off, the automated email is triggered by their algorithm. The algorithm can be triggering false positives. I'm sure they are working and improving the algorithm, and from what I've heard, they will be incorporating a Defect Score Page in our Shop Dashboard soon so we can monitor our score. Just think of the email as a friendly reminder. I'm sure that your shop would have to be flagged multiple times before they would consider suspending the shop. I don't think they would just suspend your shop just like that with out giving the seller a chance to improve. 

1 Like
SewingSupplies
Community Member

Jump to solution

I went thru all of your reviews, there are no 1* or 2* or 3* reviews for your shop. Out of 166 reviews ALL but 7 were 5* reviews. Only 7 reviews were 4* and none of those had any negative feedback for you or your shop. Every one was happy with their purchase and with your service. You should of NEVER gotten a negative letter from Etsy. You shouldn't let any of this bother you, it's pure crap. Quit worrying.

2 Likes
cindylouwho2
Community Member

Jump to solution

@SewingSupplies  a lot of things can change in the 3 weeks since that post was made. 

0 Likes
sweetniks
Community Member

Jump to solution

I just received that same letter.  I am dumb founded but happy to know that I am not alone.

0 Likes
ITWINZ
Community Member

Jump to solution

I received this message too. i guess it was due to a message said that I didnt shipped her item for 2 weeks. Then , I found that she didnt have any transaction form my store before. She was not my client! Then, I sent email to etsy, they said that they received complaints, for sure not error message. But they show me what complaints is. 

0 Likes
BethsCardCreations
Community Member

Jump to solution

This same thing just happened to me! I have received very few complaints over the 10 years I have been on Etsy. Just recently someone opened a case against me because her order didn't arrive...because she had entered the wrong address when checking out.

I have no idea where this is coming from.  I have contacted Etsy to get some specifics.  I hope I hear back.

Did anyone notice a change in shop traffic and sales because of this?  My sales are extraordinarily low this month, and I am hoping this is not the cause.

0 Likes
SerenityStraws
Community Member

Jump to solution

I just got that same email from them and I was furious!!!!  I, too have had 1,000+ sales and they found a whopping 2 low reviews!!!!!  Had I not been getting alot of orders, I had to stay away from my computer all day or I would have closed my acct.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.  Neither of the reviers contacted me about any issue.  So 2 out of 1,000+ is high volume??????  Yes, I did contact Etsy and it wasn't pretty.

@BorealisSeaGlass wrote:

I received and email from Etsy Trust and Safety team telling me that my shop has received a high volume of buyer complaints in relation to it's volume. As a result, it says my shop is below their customer service expectations. 

How can that be? I have 1000's of sales and a 5 star rating. I rarely get poor feedback. It also states this can lead to acct suspension. I'm so confused.

Anyone ever deal with this? 

0 Likes
SterlingWholesale
Community Member

Jump to solution

More than 1% defect rate in a 60-day period will get you an email like that. Defect means 1- or 2-star review or a case opened.

0 Likes
SterlingWholesale
Community Member

Jump to solution

I ditched international shipping because of a higher incidence of lost or delayed mail and therefore possibility of low reviews or cases. Literally your shop staying open depends on it now. 

2 Likes
SterlingWholesale
Community Member

Jump to solution

God forbid they should make the performance goals and metrics known, to buyers and sellers, like ebay does, right there on the screen. No, it has to be hidden and mysterious.

0 Likes
SerenityStraws
Community Member

Jump to solution

This is the email address that my letter came from:

trust-and-safety@etsy.com

0 Likes
SerenityStraws
Community Member

Jump to solution

This is the email my letter came from and it works.  I got a reply.

trust-and-safety@etsy.com

0 Likes
BohoButtonShop
Community Member

Jump to solution

I got the same email a couple of days ago.  The problem that triggered it was a one-star review that stated that said the buyer loved our item, but it was too small.  The size is given in the title, in the description, and there is a picture of the item next to a quarter to show size.  I have had no customer complaints that were escalated to Etsy or open cases on my account since 2018, and those I quickly refunded or saw that they arrived through tracking.

Since then, sales have plummetted, even though I run $15 in ads a day.  Kind of sad, seeing that I have 20,000+ sales and have been on Etsy since 2013.  It just seems harsh to make one have their search results cut because of something like this.

I don't like it.  It reminds me a LOT of Amazon, whom I do not particularly like doing business with as a seller.  It feels that Etsy is losing it's "handmade spirit" and wants to compete with Amazon and Ebay.  I won't go into that though.  I'm just surprised and a bit sad.  

2 Likes
BethsCardCreations
Community Member

Jump to solution

My email from Etsy Trust and Safety was triggered by a woman who opened a case against me because she didn’t get her order. She had given me an incorrect address. So, duh, of course she wouldn’t get her order. But she refused to close the case until Etsy “solved” it.

Sales started dropping drastically after that. I wasn’t sure if the email played a factor in this, but it seems that others are noticing the same. Does anyone know for sure if this affects our search ranking? I’m just so ticked that a mean, disorganized buyer can damage our sales so badly, if that is the case.  I keep watching my sales drop 5% down from last year, 6%...now at 8% below last year.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.