SaltoftheArt
Community Member

Buyer says refund went to a different card

recently I had an order where I needed to make a price adjustment and issued a refund to the buyer of four dollars. They recently contacted me and said that the refund went  to a card they no longer have and that they bought the item with a different card. I don’t know what to tell them  as I can’t see any kind of card information on my refund screen and this is the first time it’s ever happened to me and not sure if this happens sometimes any advice?

0 Likes
5 Replies
ALikelyStory
Community Member

Re: Buyer says refund went to a different card

Tell them Etsy handles all the financial aspects of the sales, and they need to contact Etsy's customer care.

1 Like
PillowDetails
Community Member

Tell them they need to contact their credit card company.  Refunds would only go back to the card used with the original purchase.  And be sure to tell them that Etsy uses a payment processor on your behalf, and you have no access to any of their financial information.

* Think about it - if it's a card they no longer have access to, HOW would they know the refund went there?  Wouldn't they just tell you they never received their refund?

3 Likes
SprocketsInside
Community Member

@PillowDetails “Think about it - if it's a card they no longer have access to, HOW would they know the refund went there?  Wouldn't they just tell you they never received their refund?”  Exactly right.  

1 Like
HotOffHerHook
Community Member

What A Likely Story said!   Be sure to explain to customer that the seller never handles this other than putting in for the refund TO ETSY and Etsy makes the refund to whatever card the customer used for that purchase.

0 Likes
SaltoftheArt
Community Member

Good good great info here. I’ll let them know what steps  they need to take. It does seem like a odd situation ha ha. Thanks everyone

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.