HELP ME!

In this thread, you can ask questions of your fellow teammates. If you are having an issue with your store, Etsy, Customers, or just need advice, post it here!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
46 Replies

Re: HELP ME!

I'm kinda new and I'm trying to fill my store but when I look at it it just looks like things are over the place. I know I want to sell blankets and I know I want to sell hats. Right now I'm working on some blankets and about to do some hats just so I can keep new things posted while I finish up the blankets.

Please tell me your thoughts
0 Likes

Hi Kim!

I am new myself so I won't have a lot of advice for you since I am not having any luck with sales (sigh!). One thing I noticed is that your photos have a few different backgrounds and I think having a consistent and plain background for all your photos would help your items seem less "all over the place". Also, taking photos from the same angle for your items will seem a bit more professional too, imo. I think you have some really nice merchandise there! Good luck! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi girls,

I'm new too and I don't sell anything yet, but I can try give you some advices.

Kim, I think you can try to use all the five photos, so a buyer can see your item with details.
Also, you only send in USA, maybe you can try to send to others countries.

Celine, your photos are so good !
You maybe need more items in your shop.

This are advices that helped me with my shop view.
I hope it will be useful for you both

Have a good day :)
0 Likes

HELLO EVERYONE,

I'm also new to the etsy store i have sole 4 items since i have opened my store, I enjoy making and selling my candles aswell as my soaps and body scrubs, lately i havent had any sells i get alot of people stop by like a couple of items and thats it. is there anything im missing from my store or any advice you could share with me plz, i would appreciate it.
0 Likes

Hi Jasmine Keita!

I'm also new at etsy and basicaly have the same questions you have, as i haven't been lucky selling my items.

Maybe people don't like my work as much as i do? Are my prices too high? What's happening, is it too soon?

Well i got 3 advices of collegues i can share with you (and everyone else who as similar questions): improve your pictures as well as you can, and put in your products the best descripcion you can (i've seen you are too breef on them and has much complete is your description, as much you will appear on search engines).

Use as many tags as you can and try to use the words or 2/3 words in the same tag, that you've used when describing your items.

Well got a little better for me, but not enough so, i've been visiting some of the best shops on etsy and trying to leran as much as can with them, so i can improve mine.

Sorry i can't be of much help, but thought i needed to share this with you and everyone. Surely there much more fellow shop owners who can give much more and better advice!

Hope you all the best!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi All! I'm pretty new to Etsy, I started my store in April. I've had only one so far. Please help! Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I think I need to take better pictures, photography advise is definitely welcomed too (types of cameras, lighting, etc.)
0 Likes

Good morning Ladies. Congratulations on the first sale. That is the first step to sell on Etsy. Don't worry about your shops, every shop is unique and sales will come with time. By joining promoting teams like this one, will give you a chance to connect with other sellers and buyers. This group will have a special sale at the beginning of each month and I will encourage you to sign in when the time comes.Good luck.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

April: Definitely set up a simple and easy to put up and take down place and setting for taking your pictures. Try for more natural light, near a window or outside in indirect sunlight. Do not do direct sunlight, because it can cause too much reflection. Soft, indirect natural light is going to be your best friend.

Have a simple and consistent background, both directly underneath the items, but also up one or two sides, so you can take pictures from different directions and angles so that nothing or not much is in the background, distracting from your items. Things like a yard of fabric (you can easily get something for very little from the remnants at a fabric shop), and something to place it on.

As an example, I use most often my dining table, right next to the window. I have a box to prop my burlap on to create a "background" for my items, and the burlap lays on the table and up over the box. I can easily move it however I need to, and it goes back into my office when I'm done.

Also, try not to use flash, unless you take a class on photography and learning how to best use flash. It can complete wash out colors while also causing way too much reflection on the items themselves, and can over accentuate whatever your item is laying on. Use as much natural light as possible, with interior lighting added in.

Try lots of angles, see what you like, what you don't. Once you find angles and positions you really like, you will start doing those same ones over and over for the best results and for consistency.

Depending on what kind of camera you're using I could possibly give you a little advice. I do most of my photography with my phone's camera (seriously, depending on the phone and techniques, you can take some killer pictures with them, check mine out in my shop). I also use a digital SLR from time to time.
0 Likes

I just updated a bunch of cover images for my products. I would appreciate it if anyone would take a look and maybe let me know if there are any products they think have weak cover images. I know there are quite a few, but I would be interested to know which ones you think would benefit.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Lacy: The biggest thing I'd say after a quick look is when using natural light inside from a window, don't face the window as much as possible when it's that bright. You're getting a washed out side and a heavily shadowed side. You want to try to angle yourself and the item near enough to the window to get the light, but not too close.

You want to try to take the picture as if you're the wall next to the window. You want to try to have the sunlight as behind you as possible, not facing it with the camera. The light inside the house should be the extra light, not the main light source, to help even things out. Of course, don't block the light from the window, be beside it and the picture will be at a bit of an angle.
0 Likes

Could you offer some example Items? The reason I ask is that I never use the window light for anything but my mannequin. My item images are always used with my photo booth. I do however have old images that may have been with different types of light before the use of my photo booth. Basically everything in my shop is using a different image photo technique.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am getting 0 sales. any suggestions? I've tweaked until my brain is numb, so I'd like to pick ya'lls.
0 Likes

@Alyssa
20 items is not enough to make sales
Try to list at leats 120 !

Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, it was definitely the mannequin pictures, versus the other ones. Sorry, I had meant to point that part out. :D

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello, I am so happy I found this team. I have been open since 2011 and have done so so over the years, however I just can't seem to get my sales were they should be. I know for a fact my photos are not up to par. However I have some good reviews and five stars and 250+ items but it really seems like in the last several months my sells have really dropped?? I'm doing my best to try to get my shop on as many apps as possible but I'm not very good at that. Also, I don't really understand the promoting on Etsy marketing tool that they offer I believe mine is set at three dollars maximum a day, but I still don't understand why I am even spending three dollars? Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thank you, Toni
0 Likes

I can't really say much for paying to market, as I don't do that, but as far as outside marketing, I personally find FB, Twitter, and Pinterest to be the online sources I use. I also play team games for my new items to get them seen.

A good strategy is to pick a theme for your store. You have a bunch of items that don't go together at all. I can't speak for all vintage stores, but logically, I can't see how it would make business sense to not have a theme. You have glass dishes, and figurines, jewelry and art, shoes... it is all over the place. If you could narrow it down to a simple theme, maybe do victorian, or edwardian, or mid century... then you would find your buyers. As it is, I had a hard time navigating your items because they are a bunch of different styles. If a store doesn't hook me at first glance, then I am not really interested. I would also rearrange your store so that your items are mixed better. Your first page only has glass I believe... maybe a brooch. As for your featured items, always change them up so that there is a variety. Also, try not to put super expensive items in your featured items because someone will take one look at your general pricing and not bother to look at your less expensive items. Having 5 stars and a bunch of sales is good, but only serious buyers look for that. If you want to attract someone into being a serious buyer, you should change up the look of your store. Settle on a picture theme as well and style your images accordingly. You want everything to be seen by someone and have them think, 'yes, that is my style...and yes, that is too...' you don't want just one time buyers after all. In order to advertise my items, I try to post an item every few days when I can. This keeps my items current on the news feed of my followers. They know who I am, and they want to see that stuff. With every new item, I also share it with Twitter, FB, and Pinterest. This way, all of my followers on those sites will also see I have new things. I then play thread games with that item as well so that Etsy has a chance to see it. It is a lot of work, but I'm not sinking my money into advertisements that just put my items at the top of a search bar. In all reality though, playing games is what gets stores noticed. I can't say why your sales suddenly dropped. I don't know what in your store changed if anything. My only idea on the matter is that it could be because the holidays are here and people are paying etsy more money than you to feature their items above yours. But, that could be wrong. I have no idea. So anyway, that is my basic advice. Advertise by playing games, not spending money... and theme up your store.
0 Likes
LadyEosProducts
Inspiration Seeker

Lacy Chains, I think the picture for this cover: https://www.etsy.com/listing/238755120/chain-body-jewelry-gold-toned-belly?ref=shop_home_active_9

looks "smokey." In other words, a sharper, crisper image would be nicer.
0 Likes
LadyEosProducts
Inspiration Seeker

I had an order that I needed to cancel. I refunded the money and chose the reason that customer and seller agreed to cancel the order. The reason was because she was wanting more quantity than what I had listed available. She created a new order after I updated the quantity. Now I can't figure out how to delete the order on which I refunded the money. Help please.
0 Likes
LadyEosProducts
Inspiration Seeker

I finally found the information on how to cancel an order. No need to answer the help me above. Thanks, Dawn
0 Likes

Sorry I didn't get to it in time Dawn. Thank you for the advice! I know I need repics on a bunch of mannequin items. I just need a better spot for her honestly. The room she is in is not photogenic. But she is currently packed and ready for a move so maybe in the next couple of months I will have a better spot for her and can retake some photos :)
0 Likes

I need 10 more sales by Jan 4th! Would anyone be interested in helping me with that goal?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Lacy, the listing that Dawn pointed out a few comments ago... That's the thing I was talking about.

It's possible (I'm guessing here) that your mannequin is too close to a window, or you're not positioning yourself enough in the space in between the mannequin and the window (light source). Don't block the window with your body, but have the mannequin far enough away that you can get yourself near the window and pointed toward the mannequin. You want yourself to be (often) point the camera in the same direction as the light. Not pointed AT the light.
0 Likes

I want to take new photos of many of my products. The ones that are photographed in the snow/outside seem to be the best, but most are not photographed that way as snow is not always around. I have found a kit to take better photos, but I cannot afford it right now. What can I do until then to take better photos? Keep in mind I am a college student and cant go buy anything. Any method I use has to be done with what I have on hand or can borrow.
0 Likes

What you can do is find rocks or wood and use them to take your photos. It adds a bit of rustic flair to your shop, if you like that sort of thing, and because you can take the photos outside, the sun is perfect natural light.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.