What have you learned?

There is so much to learn about selling on Etsy and I thought a thread where members can post tidbits of useful information you have learned might be helpful.

I am still relatively new to Etsy but not to selling online which I have done for many years. One thing I had never had to worry about before was SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). This is something I have had to do a lot of reading on and I have found a link that is a lot of reading, but very helpful.

http://www.etsy.com/storque/media/bunker/2009/09/Etsy_Sellers_Guide_to_SEO_Version_1.0_.pdf

What other tips and techniques have you got to share that might be helpful to members in regards to selling on Etsy?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: What have you learned?

Just found another really cool tidbit of information great for competition research!

When you do a search there is the different listing views at the top right near the sorting options. There is one called Research View! Great for checking out prices of other products in your search! It is well worth checking out!
0 Likes

Spread your work out. Do a little bit each time. By listing 1-3 items per day you increase exposure to your shop, can focus on promoting those items through teams, social media, etc and it's easier to fit into a busy day. Fans are more likely to come back to look if they know there will be regular additions.
0 Likes

Great tip Karin!
0 Likes

I LOVE this tool. The BEST thing ever for working on your tags!
http://etsygadget.com/

Anyone else have any handy tips?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm really sad that this discussion didn't flourish! I am new to Etsy (just under 2 months) and I need all the help I can get!! thank you for sharing these things Robyn and Karin! I will be reading them and studying them for sure!! (In the morning... I'm about to go to sleep!) Now... for a tip to successful selling on Etsy? I don't really know what's working and what's not yet... I think photographs of your items are really important to successful selling because that's the customer's "window" into the item. So, I have been trying to practice and get better at the photos of my jewelry.
1) good lighting & 2) sharp, clear pictures, not blurry
those two I know for sure... still trying to figure out the rest! : )
0 Likes

I learned that people actually do wait til the last minute to shop for Christmas! Next Christmas I plan to have more products to offer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Get to promoting on social networks. I have gotten plenty of traffic and even sales just by promoting my shop and listings on Twitter. It's very helpful.
0 Likes

Great tips! I would love to see this thread flourish also, we can learn so much from each other. I recently discovered Betsi Lite.

I had dismissed Betsi at first as I didn't want to have to pay to edit my listings, but you can do an awful lot with Betsi Lite and it is free! It is worth checking out.
http://blugrin.com/Betsi/#.UsUzAPQW18s
0 Likes
YanceyDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Hello everyone! I started my shop on Dec 6, 2011. The one thing I would like to say is to not give up even if your views and sales are not all that great. It is hard getting the first few sales but as time passes it will pick up. I've seen many shops quit long before they should have.

Good luck!
0 Likes

I agree Phillip! Most often if you are not getting enough views, it is because your tags and titles need work. You need to make sure you use all your tags. Use keywords that people are likely to search by and make sure the strongest keywords are in the start of your title, first sentence of your description and repeated in your tags. If you tags etc are great, it could be people aren't clicking because your photos aren't enticing enough. Make sure your photos are bright enough and show your item in a flattering natural light.
0 Likes

I've been selling on Etsy for a little over a year now. In my shop I sell both my art work, as well as vintage items and supplies. I have been going back in forth about whether it is better to have one shop for my art and a separate shop for vintage and supplies. Has anyone dealt with the same issues? Have any advice? Thanks so much! I just joined the team and I am looking forward to participating!
0 Likes

Hi all! I have learned to sell more on etsy, you really have to promote. A LOT. Join teams that do promotions. Make treasuries. Promote on facebook, pinterest and (my newest addition) twitter. Others help you promote that way.

Deborah-- I have done something similar. I have some supplies that I sell along with my jewelry. It's very similar items, so I just went with it. I asked a friend who has two shops- one for jewelry, one for supplies - why she did that and other info. She said she was combining them now (which she has done) since things somehow find a way to both shops anyway.
0 Likes

Thanks, Crystal!!
0 Likes

Thanks for that pdf! I will pass it along to my buddies!
0 Likes

My shop has been open for about 1 1/2 years. I believe team promotions help but you also need to have good SEO and I find that using Etsy promoted listings is beneficial in generating sales. (I always customize by bid) You can set a budget for as little as a dollar a day...try it for a few days or a few weeks. This would be especially helpful if your shop/products are not being found on the first page of searches. I have a Pinterest board that is dedicated to Etsy shop owners. You may want to check it out for helpful SEO tips and instructions.

https://www.pinterest.com/wandalou28/etsy-need-to-knows/
0 Likes

Great discussion!
My tip:
When someone adds one of my products or my shop to their favourites, I send them a thank you message with a coupon of 10% discount.
I've noted that this helps to promote sales :).
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.