cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount , my sales came when I offered free shipping!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes

Hello !  and my store is one year old , and I'm doing this  -

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=exclusive+project+on+glass+canvas

I also would be glad if you visit my store and give advice . Thank you!

_

1 Like

0 Likes

My first sale came from a friend of a friend, who shared our listing on their Facebook timeline! Always a good idea to link your listings to any social media you have. Often times, our friends are all to happy to support us in our venture when they can! 

2 Likes

I made my first sale today!  I am not sure how it happened because I have been trying to work on the SEO for other listings, lol.  Maybe the other listings helped me get seen and the customer found something else in our store.  I am still working hard on getting my titles and tags right, but I was sooo excited when I heard the "Ching" sound.  Hang in there everyone and envision that sell.  It will come!

9 Likes

Congratulations!

I wish you many more sales! I agree with you, nothing more exciting than the "cha-ching" sound.

1 Like

Well I haven't sold anything yet but to be fair, I only opened shop a week ago.... And I only started making jewellery in December. 

But I have this great concept idea of how things will be someday down the line and I just need to keep my head down and shovel in the work. 

And follow all your great advice !!

Thank you all!

5 Likes

We opened our shop three months ago and we got the first sale last week...

2 Likes

I started my store because I didn't want to create designs for employers anymore. I don't have a legitimate sale yet (my 1st sale was to a friend) but I seem to be driving more traffic to my store when I added new items and services and fixed my titles and tags. I'm not discouraged because I only started really working on my store this week. Hopefully someone I don't know (LOL) will make a purchase soon :) wish me luck guys!

4 Likes

Any feedback on my shop would be deeply appreciated :) Thanks!

2 Likes

Good luck dear, not easy but as long as you are generating traffic to your store it's good.

Now you just need to convert the traffic into sales. Not necessarily by cutting the price, but rather by improving the quality of your pictures maybe.

3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello 👋🏽 you can take a look at my store❤️❤️❤️

1 Like

I am not sure how my first customer picked up my store. :)

Opened for couple months, but heavily updating my shop and surfing in social media for a month also, then my first customer comes to me asking for custom order. After back forth over 60 messages, she was satisfied to place her order. 

2 Likes

Wow, after 60 messages...

How is it going now?

1 Like

Oh man I've been there. That's why I don't do custom work too often. There's no money in it. By the time you're done communicating with someone you've put in so much that there's no way you're getting compensated properly.

But if you choose that route I'd recommend simplifying the process. Give people less details to choose from. There have been studies done on this, when people have more options they get "decision paralysis". Give them a few & they can easily compare, then choose what's right for them. 

If you're interested in promoting your social media. I have a facebook group for that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fashionsocialteam/

We're just getting started but already we have some active members. & it's closely moderated so you don't have to worry about people not liking, sharing or commenting on your posts.

0 Likes

Custom orders are not bad, as now most of my customers or potential customers are looking for custom orders, especially for engagement rings.

My lists now are just like an exhibit window, showing that I CAN produce what they are looking for. :)

Yeah, lots of message sometimes may be just turning into nothing, but I do not want to burn the bridge to any potential customer.

Also the more you communicate with them, the more you know how to lead the conversation, as some know exactly what they want, some do not, they need some ideas.

Just create a private list for my customer, waiting for her to place the order. :)

Anyone who has an interest for Moissanite rings, please take a look of my store, thanks. :)

0 Likes

I joined Etsy 2 and a half weeks ago, and haven't had a sale yet, of course. However, I didn't have any idea how long of a wait was "normal", so it's really nice to read all your answers! Thank you everyone, and thank you @workyourart for asking this question! :)

3 Likes

I have only had my etsy store set up for about a week, yet to make a sale, but I will be so happy and excited when I do! 

Wish me luck!! lots of posting on social media and these teams and discussions are great for newbies!! 

3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I got my first sale from promote listing after 1 week.

This’s my store : https://www.etsy.com/shop/COCOBRIM

1 Like

I opened shop in November, 2017 . I got my first order in the last of month. But I was happy because of That first order.  My first client gave me a good review with the pictures he used my product in a creative creation. 

Best of luck to all new shops. 

2 Likes

I got my first and only sale two months ago, a month or so into the process. I believe it was actually off of Etsy Community that the customer found my shop! She left a five-star review a few days later and it contained very informative feedback. I am very thankful to have gotten a sale so early as I know it's not normal. :)

1 Like
OmahBali
Crafty Poster

I just open my shop today. Super excited! I noticed it will takes a while until i make my first sales, wish me luck! Would be appreciated if you could have time to take a look at my shop, and give me any comment or feedback about my products or my shop. Thank you :) 

4 Likes
OmahBali
Crafty Poster

And today I just made my first sale! Superrrrrr excited :) 

2 Likes
YardApiary
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, I really like your pillows - just a note - I would offer also to choose separately pillow cases (with zipper) and pillow insides ;) But that's just my opinion. Still like them very much and first have to buy a super comfy sofa and next will think about pillows :)

0 Likes
YardApiary
Inspiration Seeker

Oh, just realized that you sell pillow covers - please, disregard my previous comment :)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.