cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you make your first sale?

Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
24 Likes
216 Replies

Re: How did you make your first sale?

I just opened on New Year's Day! No sales, yet...but I'm playing the teams, posting on social media, and spreading the word as best I can. Wish me luck for my first sale (hopefully very soon)! ;)
44 Likes

Best of luck to you Eliza. Keep at it. It took me a couple weeks before my first sale but then they started to slowly trickle in. You'll get excited and addicted to the "cha-ching" sound.
22 Likes

It's the same for me... Not sure I am doing something wrong? I'd really like for someone to check out my store and products then message me with feedback... preferably honest ;)

Anyway, I have not sold anything yet :(

10 Likes

@KaraCreatesCrafts It took me a few months to get a sale on Etsy, so don't give up! I just had a look at your shop and I think your struggling due to the size of your shop. I found great success in using digital downloads as a way to get my sales up and start appearing higher up in searches. Maybe try adding a few more options of digital downloads - they really are a numbers game :)

12 Likes

Hey Eliza (can I call you Eliza haha) all the best to getting your first sale---or have you gotten it yet? I will find out soon anyway, will check out your store. I just started as well, only 3 days ago in fact, and it's such an interesting and diverse market in Etsy. Sometimes, I feel abit intimidated. But yeah, trying as hard as I can too. When I read your note here, it feels like I'm not alone. All the best to your shop! :)

2 Likes

Best of Luck! I just opened 3 weeks ago

0 Likes

Aw! Thanks for the support and encouragement, Tim and Shelly!
6 Likes

I started my shop last year and was only able to sell one item---to a relative!  :D Can anyone here give me feedback on my store? I don't mind honesty---it's all business after all :) Thanks!

4 Likes
kraftnerdgh
Inspiration Seeker

Hi

Sellers must try to pay their etsy bills on time or before the deadline to prevent their items from being blocked  from the buyers.

That's one sure way of expecting any sale 

0 Likes
Raesofsun
Inspiration Seeker

It took me over 9 months to get my first sale. The first year was a dud... I sold 2 things. At the end of 12 months I re-evaluated my shop. I changed my product, improved my pictures and social media like crazy. But the single best thing I did was joined as many Pinterest Groups as possible. I got real views. My advice... don't "hope" for a sale... make that sale. And yes... loving that Cha-ching sound (just discovered that in December) Ha HA
32 Likes

I second Pinterest as a great way to get seen. I had a pretty tricky first year too - but the ball started rolling after I did some markets. Although the sales weren't great on the market days themselves handing out business cards to loads of different types of people did result in online sales further down the line.

6 Likes

all the best!!! saw ur shopp

0 Likes

I joined Etsy in 2011. My first sale was a popular Christmas Tree pin that was priced very low because of a discolored clear rhinestone. I've been selling vintage jewelry and collectibles ever since and last year was my best ever! I changed the name of my shop and improved my photos during the year. I enjoy selling and buying on Etsy and have even made a few online friends.
15 Likes

Did you promote your pins or just published them? 

0 Likes

Thank you for great advise! I am

going to start using my Pinterest!

0 Likes
VogueAndVestures
Inspiration Seeker

How can I possibly join a Pinterest group to incrrinc my visibility?

0 Likes

Hello, can I ask where these Pinterest groups are, how would I find them? Thankyou  

0 Likes

my first sale was just recently and I'm so happy. the order came from USA. Ordered a teether made of wood with the name Alexander

5 Likes

My store is 8 months old. The first sale was in 4 months. So far only 7 sales. I'm working on improving photos, searching for keywords.

11 Likes

I opened my shop in November 2018. My first sales were from family and friends through FaceBook, since then my sales have dropped off. Hoping to learn from the veterans how to get noticed through the Etsy search options.

6 Likes

Annoyingly I find sales to grow and decrease exponentially. The fact that Etsy SEO bases how high up a search you come on how many sales have been made on a listing mean it is very hard to get your listing onto the top page of a search.  I would also love any advice from veterans as to how to claw back those sales once they have dropped off.

5 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Opened shop Sept 2018 and first sales were from friends.  2 weeks ago I had my 1st "official" sale from a directed promotion listing and after tweaking my SEO. 

6 Likes

This is actually my second etsy shop. My first sale on it was quite some time ago when I was still figuring out what I wanted to do. I think I just got lucky & from there the same buyer came back to buy 3 more things from me.

I didn't really see more sales until I decided to get serious building a brand which I did after I took a training that went into the psychology behind sales.

People are more likely to trust you if your shop looks pro. That's just a fact. First impressions are everything. I learned all this from a mentor I follow. She's a genius at branding & marketing.

Right now my shop is on hiatus as I work on my next collection. I'm actually taking my designs in a different direction.

If I could give one piece of advice it would be to find a business coach to follow. You don't ecessarily have to pay for one until you're ready to go to the next level. A lot of them give tons of useful tips for free.

My business coach is amazing. You can check out the free training I took here:  https://bit.ly/2EhHz5d

7 Likes

Wow, do you have any tips?

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.