Highlighted
TwoEasels
Registered Member

Taxpayer ID on Etsy website doesn't match my 1099 form in the mail

Help, I'm trying to start on my taxes and can't figure this out. I so far been working on January 2018 and it all my CSVs match to what is shown on my Taxpayer ID sales amount on the website. But when compared to the actual 1099 form I got it the mail it doesn't, the actual form shows about $50 more and I can't figure out why. It's off for every month compared to the actual form. I don't get it. 

1 Like
62 Replies
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

Re: Taxpayer ID on Etsy website doesn't match my 1099 form in the mail

Following.   

0 Likes
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

I would contact Etsy....

0 Likes
ManInTheMoonHerbs
Registered Member

Please tell me it's not the amount of sales tax Etsy collects and remits.

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

Demonstrates the issue reported by other sellers being swept under the rug:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Bugs-and-Technical-Issues/1099-Received-Different-From-What-is-on-ETSY...

1 Like
ManInTheMoonHerbs
Registered Member

This issue was supposedly fixed around this time LAST year. Guess it's time to track every sale again : /

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

I assumed this was going to be the case.  Now we have no way to show that the taxes were actually remitted and we can't take the deduction without audit concerns.  This is the kind of thing that would make me leave Etsy.  It is ridiculous.  Besides keeping the website operational, this is their primary function.  

1 Like
FrenchVintagePrints
Registered Member

Post in Bugs so that they get a heads-up... and hopefully get back to you too.

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

see Kathy's post.  They have swept this under the rug for months, mannnnnny months.  

0 Likes
lulubugjewelry
Registered Member

Following. 

0 Likes
TwoEasels
Registered Member

I called and they said they would work on it and get back to me. So I wonder how long this will take.

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

Thanks for calling.  I look forward to your updates 

0 Likes
BlackSheepDyeworks
Registered Member

@GRITSGirlz's "swept under the rug" accurately describes how I feel about Etsy's handling of this issue.

I have written to Etsy support since the thread was shut down, and after an initial generic reply from them that totally missed the point, I persisted, and received an acknowledgement a few days ago that they are looking into it.  I received the same reply as the seller in this thread: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Member-Q-A-New-Community-Spaces/1099-K-error/m-p/125159705#M3885

Nothing since then, though, and I still don't know if they plan to issue corrected 1099s, or if the Taxpayer ID page is just showing incorrect amount(s). Until I have a definitive answer, I can't do my taxes.  Not a huge issue for me personally at the moment, but it's a bigger concern for some.  And it's a larger issue to not say anything to sellers who may be affected, and may have already submitted their return.  Really irresponsible.

0 Likes
DeslattesCreations
Registered Member

I don't think the Taxpayer ID page is incorrect.  It matches my Payment Sales report for the year.

That means the 1099 is incorrect.  

Someone had wondered if maybe the last few transactions of the year may have been dropped but my transactions are off by 5 but the total of the last 5 transactions of the year do not equal the dollar amount that I am off.

Very frustrating since I was ready to submit my taxes and now have to wait on Etsy to respond.

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

As Etsy collects and remits taxes for more and more states this could become huge.  It is sloppy.  WTH are they doing with our money if they can’t get this right.    It is truly what we pay for.  It is scandalous. Perhaps this issue needs to go to the various e-commerce bloggers and news websites 

1 Like
BlackSheepDyeworks
Registered Member

I agree @DeslattesCreations, I suspect the 1099 may be wrong, rather than the Taxpayer ID page.  I too tried to find the missing amount in taxes Etsy collects on my behalf, or in a sale that fell on the 31st and could have been credited to Jan 1, or vice versa, etc.  Nothing matches the weird difference amount. 

0 Likes
CarolinaHats
Registered Member

I had initially reported this in the bug section and the thread got shut down.  I was told that the engineering team is currently investigating and that it may take some time for the team to isolate the cause of the issue.  I was also told that they prioritise identified bugs by impact on the marketplace and  I won’t hear from them unless they have additional information to share.  They said they would let me know when they have a fix.

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

The IRS may disagree with their priorities. 

1 Like
GreenStreetMosaics
Registered Member

Exact same problem here. 

So... I posted on another thread, which was closed by Admin with the recommendation to contact ETSY directly.

So... I called ETSY support but the person I spoke with couldn't help me. I was told only finance can assist, and that department does not accept phone calls. I was told I would receive an email in a few days.

So... after a few days of nothing, I wrote into ETSY help, the ticket was "closed." I wrote in again today abd haven't heard anything back.

I am really not sure what else to do! How do we get help? 

I have an appointment with my accountant next week! This is definitely time sensitive, as it is tax season. 

0 Likes
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

Etsy has been very cavalier about this from the beginning. When they started collecting sales tax is when the problem started.  And that was only for Washington.  Now there are 10 or so states they will be collecting.  It will only get worse 

0 Likes
DeslattesFurniture
Registered Member

I did read online that if you get an incorrect 1099k and can't get the issuer to correct, then submit the correct numbers on your taxes with a letter explaining the difference, along with any proof that shows it incorrect.  

What was vague was how long they had to respond or provide a correct 1099k.

1 Like
FenderMinerals
Registered Member

Here is the problem in a nutshell.  Etsy is supposed to remove the sales tax they collect/remit.  Some of that has not been removed.  Therefore we pay income tax on that amount. Why? Because without proper documentation demonstrating we remit the tax we can not succeed in an audit.  This year it is not significant but as more states are added to the list this is going to be significant 

0 Likes
GreenStreetMosaics
Registered Member

Bumping this.

Etsy admin, can you let us know how we should get answers to discrepencies in our 1099K? Again, have tried calling and writing in twice. 

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

Etsy's own Help article:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016389293-How-Is-the-Total-on-My-1099-K-Calculated-

States that your 1099 is minus Sales Tax collected by Etsy and is gross sales income from Etsy Payments.  According to the IRS, gross amount means, “the total dollar amount of total reportable payment transactions for each participating payee without regard to any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discount amounts, fees, refunded amounts or any other amounts.”

How to calculate your gross income

To calculate the totals on the 1099-K form issued for your Etsy Payments sales, you can download your Etsy Payments CSV file:

1. On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Select Options.
  4. Click Download Data tab.
  5. Choose the Etsy Payments Sales CSV type.
  6. Click Download.
  7. Open the CSV file and total the Gross column for the fiscal year. This is the total reported on your 1099-K form
1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

If the above Etsy Payments Sales CSV matches Finances > Taxpayer ID, then it's your paper 1099 that is in error.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.