Highlighted
Riverbirchjewelry
Registered Member

No more stand alone Paypal?

I just got an email stating I have until May 15th to accept Etsy integrated Paypal. Anyone else get that email?

35 Likes
1,163 Replies
PrincessTingTing
Registered Member

Re: No more stand alone Paypal?

Yes. And I am really upset by it. It seems that Etsy really could not care less about what sellers think. 

113 Likes
Riverbirchjewelry
Registered Member

Thank you for letting me know. I was worried it was just me. I was concerned I did something to warrant not having paypal any longer, but could not think of what that was.

8 Likes
SilverCedarJewelry
Registered Member

Etsy has an online survey asking for feedback about the Paypal changes here:

https://forms.gle/TNdRBMq9sxmPxfng8?segment=selling

Let them know how you are impacted!

66 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Registered Member

Silver Cedar, thanks for the link.  I added my 2 cents, not that it likely makes much difference, but it does make me feel a little better, so at least that's something.

Best wishes,

22 Likes
herflyinghorses
Registered Member

I hardly doubt they got a lot of positive feedback on the survey that they sent to some sellers, especially since the survey was sent out a couple of days before the billing fiasco.

10 Likes
cynthiahill69
Registered Member

Everyone got the email. It was addressed to "Etsy Sellers," even me with my shops closed for the time being. I wondered when this would happen.  Etsy never seems to leave anything as is. It's been kind of nice taking a break from what are almost everyday changes sellers can do little or mostly nothing about.

13 Likes
RAINBOWFIBRES
Registered Member

I took the survey. I am Canadian selling in US dollars. I pay exchange

6 Likes
CarolsEpiphany
Registered Member

I will quit Etsy before I integrate my PayPal.   I use my PayPal at craft shows to sell jewelry NOT in my Etsy shop.  I also use PayPal at Home Depot and other stores and I do NOT want those transactions processed through Etsy.  It is my right to have a standalone PayPal that I use in my daily life and Etsy has no right to be ivolved with it.  I feel like that demand must be illegal or something because PayPal is worldwide and Etsy can't demand that we use it only through them.  That's insane thinking on Etsy's part.  

41 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Registered Member

@CarolsEpiphany  this is only about using your standalone Paypal as a seller on Etsy. Etsy cannot stop you from using it elsewhere.

18 Likes
EnergyPeace
Registered Member

@CarolsEpiphany  you can still use PP by itself in other situations. they are not taking over your PP account.

so when you are out on shows and use the thing to swipe, that is directly to your PP account (assuming you use PP's swiper).

it is only orders processed through etsy, that they are in charge of if someone use PP. 

I agree with you though, it sucks. I am extremely opposed to this integration. Just don't think you can't use PP by itself elsewhere, you can certainly do that. 

12 Likes
DixSterling
Registered Member

Of course they don't. 

0 Likes
MixedUpMetal
Registered Member

I barely sell anything on Etsy anymore. Mostly because I haven't been working it or keeping up my shop. I HATE this idea. Etsy keeps my money as long as they can and that's why I like taking PayPal, I have access to MY money right away.

Etsy is feeling very controlling, almost creepy now. I miss the good ole days of Etsy, the first few years. I'm not sure I'm going to even bother with Etsy anymore which makes me sad. I was planning on getting my shops back in shape later this spring.

25 Likes
ThePamperedStitcher
Registered Member

I responded to their 2 question survey and basically told them they are becoming the reason why I left Ebay 9 years ago. I also told them I am willing to call it quits and put 100% of my energy into my Paparazzi accessories business. 

7 Likes
MaliakeiBags
Registered Member

I filled out the survey, but they will just do what benefits THEM.
Why don't they give us an option? Opt-in or Opt-out of stand-alone PayPal?
Getting rid of stand-alone PayPal is upsetting. I'm not satisfied with this at all.
I cringe each time Etsy forces another unwanted change upon us. 😠😠👎👎

5 Likes
ArtWildflowersDigi
Registered Member

This downright sucks!

I get a special lower rate at Stand-Alone PayPal because my items sell for so little (which had to be aproved by PP) - My inital fee is much lower, but once I top the $10 in total costs, it does cost me a higher persentage), but when you sell items for only $2.50, every single penny counts!

2 Likes
BluePoppyBath
Registered Member

Yes, and I'm very irritated about it.

50 Likes
LeaflingBags
Registered Member

Your deffinetly not alone. 

15 Likes
LaLunaDePlataSilver
Registered Member

I have just 'complained' about it; go to 'Contact' everyone and tell them .. how dare they say "That’s why we’re requiring you to send your PayPal sales to Etsy Payments instead of using your standalone PayPal account."

12 Likes
charmsgalore
Registered Member

@LaLunaDePlataSilver They could just tell us the real reason they're doing this is to make more profit off of OUR money. That would be the "transparent" way to go about it.

57 Likes
thelostrooms
Registered Member

This seems to be the  only way they can show their shareholders they're making money. By taking more from the sellers. I don't see it lasting too much longer. So many great sellers have left and they can't compete with Amazon on anything. Unless maybe supplies, but between post office hikes and etsy hikes, it's no longer affordable to sell here.

2 Likes
DoubleBMonograms
Registered Member

Yes, and it's not making me too happy! I rely on PayPal for instant $ when I need it, and for making purchases. Great. Just more control by Etsy.

96 Likes
wierclock
Registered Member

Exactly. About 50% my sales go in PayPal account, then used to buy more inventory.  Now have to add extra steps and records transferring from bank, arrrgghh!! Enough to do already!!

46 Likes
wierclock
Registered Member

Oh, don't forget extra fees......

30 Likes
CatsBeadKitsandMore
Registered Member

This is my reason for keeping stand alone pp too. Also EP is glichy at times which does not make me happy that now this is the only option we are going to have. It's BS!

30 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.