BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Item Not Paid?

Jump to solution

I sold an item about two hours ago. Received a payment pending message. Still showing that the item has a Not Paid status. Checked the buyer's address and the shipping address, they are identical. Underpayment method, it says only Etsy payments, so one cannot figure out what payment method was used. Never had a similar issue before. What is going on?

One thing I like about Paypal is, you always know if an e- check was used, and that is here impossible to determine.

BB

1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Re: Item Not Paid?

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts  The bottom right of the full order receipt shows if the order was paid via Paypal (assuming standalone), Etsy Payments, Check, Money Order or Other.  These are the payment methods that Etsy currently allows.

If paid via Etsy Payments, then you will not see the buyer's payment source which could have been any of the many sources that Etsy Payments allows including Paypal.

0 Likes
21 Replies
ChenilleBliss
Community Member

Jump to solution

It can take 48 hours for unpaid orders to process.  Info is in Help Center.  If it lasts for more than 48 hours, you can contact Etsy.

You (the seller) will never know what caused the processing delay.

1 Like
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@ChenilleBliss "You (the seller) will never know what caused the processing delay." 

So much about transparency. Very disheartening.

BB

0 Likes
ChenilleBliss
Community Member

Jump to solution

Transparency does not apply to buyers' private financial details or financial institutions' payment processing security procedures, for reasons that should be obvious.

2 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@ChenilleBliss It does, on PayPal. You always know why the payment is pending, when the buyer pays via an e-check rather than via CC.

Besides, what you are saying is in direct contradiction to the information posted on a similar thread here, where the seller in the same situation was advised by multiple respondents to "check the payment method" on the Etsy payment page. So, I did my homework, and tried to do this before posting here. So, who of you is correct?

BB

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Jump to solution

Simply means the order is still processing.  A percentage of orders via EP have always experienced a certain amount of processing time though many do complete within minutes.

0 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@GRITZ Yessss. Which is why there are around 2,000 posts here about pending pmt, when you run a search, most saying payment was still pending after more than 48 hrs. Hmm. The one I have reviewd last has Admin commenting that they are aware of the problem and it will be corrected.

BB

0 Likes
ChenilleBliss
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts You said the order was paid through Etsy Payments, so the discussion and situation on that other thread does not apply to you.  That other seller had both checks and money orders enabled.  He was not in the same situation you are.

Knowing that an eCheck is pending on Paypal is very different from knowing why a payment processor has delayed processing a payment.

0 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@ChenilleBliss Thank you. Your response, however, does not shed light into why someone would recommend to check the Etsy payment page to find out what payment method was used, when it is impossible to find it out.

BB

0 Likes
ChenilleBliss
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts When a seller has other methods for payment set up, like Other, Check, or Money Order, or has standalone Paypal (for two more days) the payment method shows on the Order page, just as Etsy Payments shows on all your order pages, because that's the only way your buyers can pay.  We weren't telling that seller to check the EP page, we were telling him to check the Order page.  Again, it doesn't apply to you because you don't have other payment methods enabled.

To your other point:  People whose processing payments clear quickly generally do not post in forums, but many of those posts are actually from people like you, when they get their first one.  So many of them haven't been pending for 48 hours.

0 Likes
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts  The bottom right of the full order receipt shows if the order was paid via Paypal (assuming standalone), Etsy Payments, Check, Money Order or Other.  These are the payment methods that Etsy currently allows.

If paid via Etsy Payments, then you will not see the buyer's payment source which could have been any of the many sources that Etsy Payments allows including Paypal.

0 Likes
ButterflyFeetDigital
Community Member

Jump to solution

If you only take Etsy Payments, it is probably that the cc used by the buyer is causing a delay - possibly expired or something. Or, it could be a first time buyer, which takes longer to process. I would relax and wait until Etsy sends the email saying the payment cleared and it is safe to ship.

0 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Well, they better figure what is going on, but thank you, ButterflyFeetDigital (I collect butterflies, not real ones, just Papillon puppies, hehe). 

It is still showing NOT PAID and the order was placed on Sunday. We shall see. 

Take care!

BB

0 Likes
WitticismsRus
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts  In the old forums when admin actua;y participated now and then they often suggested reaching out to support if it hs been over 48 hours and they can check on the order for you. We get about 1 order per week that stays in processing a bit longer than others but most resolve within the 48 hours or less. Sometimes they can't complete the processing for whatever reason (payment failed) and then etsy will just cancel the order and refund fees. The longest one we had was in processing for 7 full days but did eventually complete.  I know it can be frustrating but try not to worry about it too much. Your processing time doesn't start until the order finishes processing so try not to worry about shipping timelines and such if you are. I hope it finishes processing asap!

0 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@WitticismsRus Thanks, Witti!Since this never happened before, of course my biggest worry is to not let my customer down. You have picked up on that well! This is a GUEST buyer, so, while I do have her email address, I do not want to contact her so as to not be nosy or overwhelm her with messages. I am sure Etsy already emailed her that her payment is not o.k. (yet). Have a nice day

BB

1 Like
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Update - I just received an email from Etsy which is identical to the one I originally received about the sale, on Sunday. This new email, however, does not have the NOT PAID comment, so I logged in to see the order. While it now says, PRINT SHIPPING LABEL, the order itself is not showing up among my SEE ALL ORDERS page, and it is still sitting under the NEW tab, where it was sitting since its inception on Sunday. Yet, it is telling me to ship by the 16th. All fees also went out from the Shop Finance account. So, is it safe to ship now, or not?

Thanks

BB

0 Likes
WitticismsRus
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlueBirdPrettyGifts 

If the red 'not paid' bit is gone and the funds were placed in shop payment account (or paypal if you still have stand alone pp) then it should be good to go. If it failed to process then the order would have been moved to 'completed' orders tab and say 'cancelled' in red where it once said 'not paid' in red .

0 Likes
BlueBirdPrettyGifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

O.K. thanks. Ready to ship, then. BB

0 Likes
JudyStalus
Community Member

Jump to solution

You're not correct about Paypal, yes you can tell if it is an Echeck but if there is a problem with the buyer's account or credit card you can get a payment pending from Paypal too. I've had them a couple of times...when Paypal cancels they of course (like Etsy) can't tell the seller why because they cannot share the buyer's private financial information with the seller.   

Sometimes these things happen for a reason as simple as the buyer transposed numbers on their credit card number...but the payment can't go through until the buyer returns and fixes the error.

0 Likes
NiteLifeFashion
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem with an item sold this morning- its still showing as unpaid over 12 hours later.

0 Likes
JunaydTasbihSilver
Community Member

Jump to solution

Why do they even show the 'potential' purchase if payment hasn't cleared!?  

I got an order saturday, didn't even notice the little 'not paid' note,, assembled the piece,, mailed it out,, $50bux expedited to Germany,, --then-- I saw the 'not paid' note!!!  <;~O

It's tuesday now, and same status is showing!!!  Gawrsh, I hope things work out.  <;~o

0 Likes
DoYouEvenSage
Registered Member

Jump to solution

Thank you to everyone for your wisdom shared in relationship to this matter. I too have this pending atm for a treasure from my shop and have been able to ease my mind, through this thread and all the great information and assistance to others.  I just wanted to ask, something I have not seen mentioned, is it appropriate procedure to message the customer, to acknowledge that it is pending as a courtesy being the seller and customer service, or should we not make any communication, until the process has completed on their end and than becomes a purchase? 
Would love some advice here as to the best approach. 
Thank you for your time in advance. 
Blessings :-) 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.