Highlighted

How do you plan to use the variation photos tool?

Last week, we announced the launch of a new, top-requested tool for sellers: Variation photos! Now, it’ll be easier than ever for buyers to picture the items they’re purchasing. Pretty exciting, right?

With that, we’d love to hear from you and how you plan to use this in your shop. Specifically:

1. What kinds of items will you use this tool for? Do you sell t-shirts in different colors? Or necklaces in different lengths?
  2. What tips do you have for those photographing the different variations they offer?

We look forward to hearing from you!

20 Likes
73 Replies
ALotOfLifeAndLove
Community Member

Re: How do you plan to use the variation photos tool?

I sell vintage, but on the occassion, I may come accross mutiples of something.  I have already utilized the variation tool to offer a choice of cute mini lampshades on the vintage brass pineapple lights and on different pet picture mat boards to frame.  Close up of the mini shades and the photo mats take the confusion out of the equation for the customer, especially when trying to come up with short name options to fit within the variation listing title!

6 Likes
CountryLaneHomeDecor
Community Member

Honestly, I won't use it. I make some items to order, which is why I have a color chart on those items. If I MADE the items, I would not use a photo variations tool, I would list them seperately for more exposure.

13 Likes
urbaneye
Registered Member

I do both and increase my listings and chance of being spotted. I list each colour and have a listing with first picture of all colour options, and I make sure every listing has each colour option too.

3 Likes
CountryLaneHomeDecor
Community Member

I don't want to do both and have inventory just sitting there in a color no one wants. :) Also, the items with color choices are large and I don't have the room to store a bunch of premade items. I would rather the customer choose the color they would like when they purchase. Color charts seem to work fine for me.

1 Like
artbyjocelyn
Community Member

I am mainly using it for t-shirt, etc., colour choices.

2 Likes
AVAArtsSupplies
Community Member

We are using it for bundles of party supplies (ie lg plate, napkins, & confetti vs sm plate, napkin & confetti....). We plan to use it for color choices on beads and charms. 

Tips I have is that you have to have the picture seperately in your pictures, so if you have to many choices it will be unusable in the way it has been set forth. It would be great if we can upload a picture into the variation without having it in the normal pictures. 

12 Likes
ThePineTreeShop
Community Member

Before you create more problems, I just wish you'd fix what it is that has driven the sales way down for so many of us.

34 Likes
charmsgalore
Community Member

I won't use it. I would rather see my shop branding put back at the top of my listings where buyers can easily click into my shop again and make multiple item purchases. Shop announcements also need to be moved back to the top of our shop pages.

You know, the important things that actually helped our businesses.

44 Likes
CLJewelrySupply
Community Member

Indeed!

3 Likes
ToysFromTheAttic
Community Member

Well said..

0 Likes
SDDStudio
Registered Member

1. "What kinds of items will you use this tool for? Do you sell t-shirts in different colors? Or necklaces in different lengths?"
  2. What tips do you have for those photographing the different variations they offer?

1.    I have tried the Variations Tool to post all of my different etching and lithograph prints. > The tool is not working well - I cannot post the photo I want to attach b/c it keeps choosing the main photo. [Don't know what I did wrong, so I have just resorted to adding all of my pictures to the top.]  It's a great idea but, it doesn't function for me in order to offer customized colors and/OR collage pieces to my limited prints.

2.   Unfortunately, I just got started and my digital camera will not work without a memory card [no thanks to FujiFilm].  In the meantime, I have just resorted to using my scanner to post my items. 

*I guess one tip I may have is to use  a variety of backgrounds to shoot your products on.  If my camera would have worked -  I could have used my awesomely "cut-up" backing to my large black art portfolio.  Slanting and angling are also better than the mundane "professional" looks.

0 Likes
RustyCrustyRepurpose
Community Member

I'm afraid to try it.

7 Likes
AlteredRusticDesigns
Registered Member

Why? It's so easy and takes away ANY confusion about which item is which for example I had a basket that I referred to as pastel and a variation of it that I referred to as stained colors. I thought everyone saw pastel like I did but they don't and there was confusion! If you don't ever have that problem then you don't need this but believe me when I say:  it.is.easy. I do think the listing page is getting quite long and some attributes are not necessary ~ needs work!

1 Like
CoquetteBath
Community Member

I don't even have a clue on how to use this. So likely I'll stay with the way I've been doing it.

4 Likes
NinaCorrea
Community Member

Big thanks to Etsy for adding this great new tool! It's easy to use and really helps buyers see a photo of what they're purchasing from the options.

1. I sell some items in various colors and patterns.

2. I always photograph each item separately then make a composite photo with all the items in it. Then I upload that composite photo and the individual item photos to the listing. From there, it's easy to use the tool and click on whichever one applies to the option.

Again....... Thank you Etsy!

13 Likes
MDMJewelry
Community Member

I just tried out the tool. Very easy to use, sort of for a non tech person. I like it a lot. The client can see the picture of their choise before looking at the rest of the pictures. I will use it in the future.

5 Likes
FabuEllaEmbroidery
Community Member

A lot of my items have too many variations to use them. I like to use my photos for information since they usually can't see the item details or know where to find them. I am just adding collages of my options to my photos and then have them on the drop down menu. So, I will not be adding photos to my variations at this time. I like the idea, just not the fact that it takes from something else to use it. 

Example...if you're looking at a purse that is available in 10 different colors, do you want to see the bag in all of those colors or would you like to see what the bag looks like from the front, back, inside, a font chart, a thread color chart, etc.?? If I use my photos for the variations, this is very important information that will not be able to be added to my photos. People will have no clue what they are buying until they get it, if they even decide to buy after only seeing one photo of it. 

5 Likes
JoeBcrafts
Community Member

How I could see you using this for your embroidered bag:

You set up variation for font.  Place all the font options and link each to the photo of the fonts.

You set up another variation for thread color.  Place all the thread colors and link to the photo of the color collage.

It would be a long list, but it would help the customer select the font and then the thread color instead of having to put everything into the single personalization box.  The nice thing about the link is that when they are making their font selection it would be automatically changed to the photo with the fonts.  When they select the color box it automatically changes to the colors photo.

The other benefit is for you when the sold listing shows seperate line items for font and color in the exact format that you want for getting the product made and ready to ship.

3 Likes
FabuEllaEmbroidery
Community Member

@JoeBcrafts I was under the impression that we only have 10 photo slots, do we get more if we use this feature. I have a lot of thread colors, fonts, and other options as well. Maybe I will look at it again when I have more time. I didn't go past the fact that you linked it from your photos, but maybe I just read it wrong. 

2 Likes
JoeBcrafts
Community Member

Yes there are only the standard 10 photos to choose from.  What I was saying is that using the same photo for several variations is possible.  I have a couple color choices that aren't in a separate photo. They use the same photo that has multiple colors in it.  It isn't perfect but is helpful.

0 Likes
SusySewandSew
Community Member

I love this new tool.  It is very simple to link photos and I love the fact that the variation the customer chooses, prints on the packing slip and shows in the "sold" listings.  Love it for my items in different colours or with different fabric prints.

2 Likes
JoeBcrafts
Community Member

The associated photo showing in the sold listing definitely aids in getting it made and ready to ship.  I can tell at a glance which stain color was chosen.

1 Like
PhotoCharmByFelim
Community Member

I have used this new tool and like it very much. 

It let the customer see the variation they have selected.

Anything that helps the customer is good for me.

5 Likes
secondarycreations
Community Member

The only thing I've used variations for is choices in packaging - what type of pouch the buyer would like to receive with their rosary. I've tried photographing packaging before but haven't stuck with it. With this new tool, I may try it again. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.