LegendaryStones
Conversation Maker

If I want a Pattern Shop but not an Etsy Shop

If I want a Pattern shop, but not an Etsy shop, can I just have an Etsy shop with nothing listed in it (just have the listings open in Pattern), or an Etsy shop on "permanent" vacation but have the Pattern shop open for business? Or is that a no-no?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies

Re: If I want a Pattern Shop but not an Etsy Shop

To my knowledge you have to have an Etsy shop to have a pattern shop.  The work around is to have one item listed in Etsy.  You can put your one worst selling item in Etsy if you want so any of the copycats will only be able to copy something that does not sell well anyway.  With one item and lack of sales, they will most likely not copy from you. 

If your Etsy shop is on Vacation your Pattern shop is on vacation.  Have not found a work around for this. 

1 Like

Well, I always thought you had to have an Etsy shop, but I thought you could have zero active listings in it, but I'm not 100% sure, so go with what @UniqueCardsandGifts said.

But why would you want only a Patten shop?  If you're not going to tie it to Etsy, why not get a better site elsewhere?

1 Like
LegendaryStones
Conversation Maker

@funkydreamsmosaics  - Because Pattern is about half the price of other sites I've looked at, and (most of all) because with a Pattern site Etsy handles the out-of-state sales tax which would be a nightmare to handle on one's own. That's really the main reason I've stayed involved with Etsy, because they handle the sales tax. Only other place that also handles it is Amazon. I can't imagine the quarterly filing paperwork having to file different tax % for each COUNTY (including 0 if nothing sold in that state) . With Etsy I only have to file in one state (where my business is physically located) and they handle the rest. As it is, for my state alone, there are over 20 counties with different tax % to file on. I suppose one could get an accountant to file everything for you, but my accountant charges 50 $ for each page of paperwork filed, and at (eventually) 50 states with 2 pages sales tax each, that would be $5,000.00 per quarter. 

1 Like

I think there is a certain amount of money that you have to make to even qualify for having to file state tax in each state.. X amount per state.. Maybe you have to file anyway? I'm not sure.. I only sell here and amazon and they both handle this for me.. Big reason I shut down my own website and opened up a Pattern shop.. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.