New Item Categories

Today Etsy have announced new listing categories for every item on Etsy.

I stongly advise you to check the category Etsy may have moved your current listings.

I’m a bit discombobulated to find that my mono prints and screen prints have been put into the category “Etching & engraving”. I’ve had to re-edit all of these listings to that don’t find myself being an accidental liar.

All of my collagraphs and drypoints have also been categorised as “Etchings & Engravings”, which they are not. But this time the categories “Collograph” and “Drypoint” no longer exist – so I don’t have anywhere else to put them. Those categories used to be there and happen to be the two biggest search terms used by potential customers looking for my type of product! These two types of printmaking makes up over half of my shop...

I’m also frustrated and upset that original fine art printmaking is in the same category as mechanical reproduction print.

The fact that there were two separate sections was a key factor in my choosing to list my work on Etsy in the first place.

Anyone else have problems with fitting into the new categories?
Check out this thread and give Etsy your feedback - https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/15992322/page/1
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies

Re: New Item Categories

I was just coming in to post about the same issue... Just edited and checked all of my listings... yay.
0 Likes

All of my linocuts (the bulk of my items) defaulted to “Etchings & Engravings”, which they are not - even though there is now a "Wood and Linocut" section. You would think that it would be easy to see that things listed "Linocut" should move to "Wood and Linocut", but apparently not.

Screenprints did successfully move to Screenprints.

We can only hope that those selling reproductions will categorize them:
Art & Collectibles > Drawing and Illustration > Digital

rather than
Art & Collectibles > Prints > Digital

so that "Prints" will be left to the printmakers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yup, just commented about the same thing on the New Listings Manager team.
It has always been a point of discussion and confusion, but now it seems completely washed out and even harder for a printmaking artist to get across that printmaking art is original art and not reproduction or a poster.
Ugh.
Also all my monoprints have been listed as "engravings and etchings" as Lynn pointed out. Have to go through every single listing now.
Super frustrating.
0 Likes

There is a also a form to request a change in categories. I think we need to once again request that Giclee be placed in a different place from handprinted tradtional printmaking techniques.

I used this form:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/taxonomy-feedback

to suggest that Prints change to Printmaking and that Giclee be moved elsewhere. I think if it's called Printmaking, then it will only attract Printmakers. That way "Digital Prints" will be things printmakers create using digital means, rather than other types of artists trying to figure out how to sell reproductions. I know there are differing opinions on Digital Prints, but I think the real blatant problem is Giclee - which is by definition a machine reproduction.
0 Likes

Actually, the category Art & Collectibles > Prints > Digital doesn't even really fit for reproductions. From those in my shop, most are reproductions from ink or pencil drawings, not digital art, they certainly don't have the look and feel of it. Grmblblbl...
0 Likes

Perhaps it should go Art & Collectibles > Reproductions ?
0 Likes

same thing happened to me. Monotypes all went into etchings category.

I'm so mad at etsy these days and now "printmaking" is gone!

ugggggggggg

off to join the conversation!
0 Likes

Thanks for that link to the taxonomy form! Just sent in my two cents...
0 Likes

I used the feedback form to suggest that Reproductions should be a sub category of Art & Collectables.
Keep them out of print/printmaking section.
https://www.etsy.com/taxonomy-feedback

For what it's worth, when I put in my request for a subsection called Reproductions to be addred to Art & Collectables - this is what I wrote -

"Make it clearer where reproductions should go.

At present some reproductions could get listed as - Art & collectables > drawings (or paintings etc) >digital
But Digital Drawings are a particular medium and not necessarily a reproduction.

Or they could go - Art & collectables > prints > giclee
But not all reproductions are giclee (you do realise that this is only French for ink jet)

Or they could go Art & collectables > prints > digital
But Digital Prints are a distinct medium and not a reproduction.

Reproductions are an economical collectable “artwork”, they have nothing to do with printmaking and should NOT be listed as one of the printmaking processes that are options under the sub category called Prints."
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for posting the form, Lynn. Also, how on earth Movie and Music Posters got into the mix .... ??? Reproductions and posters have to go into a different subcategory.
I put a little note onto my facebook page last night:

Dear Etsy - how are potential buyers of artwork going to find the category of "Printmaking" in your new Listings Manager? It is hard enough to get the concept across that printmaking is original artwork just like painting and does not deserve to be lumped in with reproductions and posters?? Most people think of just that when they hear 'print'. Come on, you can do better.
Love,
Your Printmaking Artists
‪#‎Etsy‬ ‪#‎Printsy‬ ‪#‎Printmaking‬ ‪#‎OriginalArt‬
0 Likes

ALL my prints went into the Etchings and Engravings too. Will pop over to the link and complain. Thanks for this thread.
0 Likes

Thank s Lynn, I sent about the same feedback but yours is better worded.
0 Likes

All of my prints were categorized as "etchings and engravings", although they are all wood or linocut. Also, I have block print cards and gift wrap in my shop, which is now categorized under "paper and party supplies", which I'm sorry to see. Hand printed cards, to me, don't quite fit into that category. Sure, they are printed on paper. And, sure, you could bring one to a party...but...
0 Likes

I sent in the feedback as well. Hopefully they will listen!
0 Likes
kaslkaos
Crafty Poster

The saddest thing is the big YAWN that this thread produced.
"Etsy why not separate Original Paintings from reproductions?? If someone is..."
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/16051269/page/1

Worse yet, if you read down you'll find that folks think Print is a separate category for Reproductions.

I think us printmakers are tired, or Etsy is tired of us. At any rate, I at least went to that taxonomy page and made several varied requests for getting reproductions elsewhere. Who knows, maybe their adjustments in March will become Christmas for printmakers (or not)
0 Likes

Categories UPDATE https://www.etsy.com/help/article/22432375117

No change to "prints" that I can see.

I'm still having to categorise my collagraphs and drypoints as etchings. Makes me feel like a lying idiot. A less important distinction is I also I have mono prints which are not monotypes. Plus I'm still not sure if my wood engravings should be in "Wood & linocut print", or in "Etchings & engravings"....

AND we are still mashed up with reproductions.....
0 Likes

dissappointing for sure
0 Likes

I have been travelling and then I had emergency surgery so I'm really behind with all this. I was so shocked to see the printmaking category gone and all of my linocuts listed as etchings?!?!
Then I purchased an app for $1 called ShopShaper which is supposed to do batch editing. I thought I could move them all at once to Wood and Linocut prints. I hope no one else did this because their categories are out of date and so the app is useless.
Ugggg!!!
0 Likes
bfhughes
Registered Buyer

I agree that listing the category simply as "prints" is way too broad. Even Original Prints doesn't do much to describe the many processes that original printmakers can and do use . And you don't really seem to allow a combination of media to describe the result.

Most original printmakers I know bristle at being grouped with "prints" that are reproductions by other than the original processes by the artist.
0 Likes

This was meant for neew listings thread.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.