Former_Member
Not applicable

Junk mail overload

Does anyone else here think this is wrong ...
http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2011/improving-etsy-emails/

Apart from the fact that it says Etsy is going to start sending unsolicited email to buyers -
"... We’ll also suggest other items they might like, based on what they’ve previously purchased" -
it indicates that Etsy will be selectively promoting items of their choosing in official email -
"... we’ll also be including items and shopping features ... in existing emails, like the order confirmation."

I would have thought a sale was a transaction between a buyer and a seller and not an activity that Etsy could hijack for marketing purposes.

???
AM
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Junk mail overload

alot of folks are complaining about this change
here's the main thread
www.etsy.com/teams/7718/site-help/discuss/9218837/page/1

while some others see it as the bigger etsy gets, the more it acts like amazon or ebay, etc . . .

I was origionally upset, but there's just so much we can't control here
I have to detach, for me, as an artist, I don't see every having tuns of sales, just a few here and there, so I just can't care too much anymore--make sense?

0 Likes

I'm with you, Kelly. With my dismal sales, I don't think anything Etsy does is going to affect me one way or the other. I'm just going to keep creating. Besides, Etsy is not exactly "original printmaking" friendly.
0 Likes

yeah

I don't have the energy to launch a shop on toher more art focused sites
and I've heard so much mixed results

at the end of the day, etsy is almost a vanity posting for me where I get to share my art with kindred spirits and celebrate the enormous creativity here inetsy!

so here's to us printmakers!
glad to know you all
Kelly
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am glad to hear that other printmakers are concerned with this. But I just keep hoping that this change might offer some more exposure for us [crossing fingers and toes!].
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I had a look at that discussion forum - not many happy campers there.

I realised not long after I started here that my work is not likely to sell so I guess I don't care too much about their policies either but it does seem wrong to hijack someone's sales receipt and use it to promote other sellers.

I think I'd take the site more seriously if it seemed that Etsy knew anything about art, but sadly I don't think they do and they don't make it easy for us to show our work here.

I do enjoy looking at what other artists are doing though and there's some fabulous artwork here so the time I spend here is worthwhile

AM
0 Likes
GreatHat
Crafty Poster

I don't need Etsy wasting my time randomly sending me emails of things I "might like" or suggesting that I offer my hats at a discounted price to someone who has favorited it or put it in their basket. I don't even look at them, click, delete. I sure this will soon be a way for them to charge you for any action that is a result of their emails. Gotta keep the investors happy.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.