ArtsyTreats
Community Member

how can I get a mailing list of my customers

1 Like
25 Replies
AuntSusansCloset
Community Member

Re: how can I get a mailing list of my customers

There is an Etsy Integration called Mailfold.  Check it out at the Integration link in your Shop Manager.  Another 3-party app is MailChimp.  I haven't used either one. 

However, you will need your customers' permission to use their personal information (mailing address), as outlined in Etsy's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.  You can begin asking future customers at the time of the transaction if they want to be added to your mailing list.  In no event are you allowed to contact past customers for this information.

~ Aunt Susan

2 Likes
AyaJewelryShop
Community Member

Mailfold is only in US?

I find it need me to write address in US,

But I live in China.

So I can't use it?

It charges or free?

0 Likes
VintageRescueSquad
Community Member

It is against etsy's Terms of Use to reach out and contact past customers beyond the scope of the initial transaction. Buyers have to "opt-in" to receive further communcation (especially emails) from sellers. 

As AuntSusan, you can start asking customers whether they want to opt in starting now.

1 Like
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Here are some of things things we did when we started out lists nearly 12 years ago now.

* add a link to join at the bottom of every email you send anyone - make it part of your email signature. Not just on Etsy, everywhere. Add the link into your outgoing Etsy convos, emails, everything you send anyone.

* add the link to join to your business card and to all your printed packaging.

* make a separate business-type card with a blurb about your newsletter and the link to join, and include it in every outgoing parcel.

* use that same card for any in-person events, to hand out whereever you go.

* when people opt to join your list, send them a coupon and one to give to a friend if they join too, so they get a discount on their first purchase.

Once you have a list of a few people, start with your newsletters. In each newsletter, include a "bribe" for the recipient to get someone else to join your list. Word of mouth is our biggest way of adding to our list.

We have over 10,000 active subscribers now and make half our annual income from direct marketing to our email lists. It took a few years to get there, so start now :-)

Be aware that there are very strict laws around creating email marketing lists, and around how you operate them. Read up about them first, then use a service such as Mailchimp.com to run your lists. There is a bit of work for you to do to maintain your lists if you want them to work for you.

14 Likes
ClearWaterDesignsbyK
Community Member

That's fantasic advise onedays!  I've started my list by asking my customers if they'd like to join.  I'm not very diligent about asking though, so I only have about 100 people on it now.  From that list I have sent out a couple of newsletters & so far only 2 people have opted out. I use Mailchimp & am also paying Awewebber right now but it's expensive & I'm not getting many results from my facebook group funnel to the Awebber lead magnet.  I will use your tips & get more serious about this list!  There always seems to be so much to do for this 1 woman show.  At my pace it will be another 12 yrs before I have 10,000 people on my list!! LOL

0 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Well, it did take us the best part of 10 years to maintain 10,000 active subscibers. It's one thing to get people to sign up, but quite another to get them to engage and stay! We ask all our subscribers to confirm they want to stay connected annually, so we know that our lists are "clean" as far as the type of subscriber we get.

We have put a great deal of work into our email marketing - it is as much as running another shop. We don't send flier-type newsletters - we send actual NEWSletters which are more like a series of mini articles full of general info, pictures and stuff we find around the web. Of course we link it all to our products or range in some way, but that's not the main point of the newsletters which run to about 4 pages each time.

We also rarely do offers or discounts through the newsletter. Members get a discount or surprise treat only if they "do" something for us first - such as refer a new subscriber or increase the value of their order. We use the email lists to grow our business rather than to advertise.

Each month we send a regular email newsletter to most subscribers, including about 250 who opt to have it mailed in printed form (they pay delivery). As well as that, we do 2 special newsletters each month which go to focus groups within our mailing list. This month for instance we will send one to our customers who purchased baptism gifts around Easter last year, suggesting 1st birthday ideas for Godparents' Easter gifts. The other one this month is directed at men who purchased a patron saint item last year, showing our new range of patron saint products to mix 'n match with what they've already got or for gifting - as well as general interesting stuff about the saints in general.

So - lots of work. Our mailing lists are closed now - which means only people referred by existing members can join up. That way it is more of a "club" & members love the exclusive factor. We do reward our subscribers quite well for getting new members - they spread the word for us for the cost of the gift they get which is very economical advertising for us!

My first ever newsletter went to exactly one person - that's all I had on my list then haha! But she got the full deal newsletter - and the following month I sent out about 10, half of which were her referrals.

Keep at it, it's been great for us. And the orders & payment come straight to our email inbox so there are no site fees at all, just the usual payment processing fees, which is the best thing of all :-)

3 Likes
ForeverWindingWool
Community Member

@onedaysgracenz 

How do you keep track of the people who did the referring and the discounts they are eligible for?  Do you do % off as rewards or do you offer products?  If products, how do you know who got what?   Lol!  I've never heard of doing a subscription to a newsletter bonus/offer like this!

0 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

@ForeverWindingWoolthose are pretty involved questions, which I can't really answer here :-) I can say that our systems have changed a lot over the years as the lists have grown, but in the beginning we entered all the data manually into Excel spreadsheets. We used a lot of formulas & linked spreadhseets so the data was automatically calculated & updated.

Then we moved to an email list management service, which made things a whole lot easier. But we still do a lot of data capture manually, as well as having had some code written for us. Neither my sister nor I are any good at that coding stuff, so we outsource anything like that.

Basically all an email list is is a bunch of contacts for people who will receive your stuff by email. What you send them is entirely up to you, so you can send anything you want in any form you like. Our monthly newsletter has grown to be more like a small newspaper! If people don't like what you send them, they are pretty quick to either unsubscribe or drop-off.

We offer a number of incentives for subscribers to help us by growing our lists. Some have a money value, some don't - people don't always want discounts. I'm not telling what they are though - that's our top "trade secret" right there. Our incentives are how we keep our subscribers so engaged.

1 Like
ForeverWindingWool
Community Member

I totally understand.  I thought it would be pretty involved, but I wanted to make sure you weren't doing something easy that I didn't know about!   I imagine the main people would have to contact you with the newbie's names.

Working a subscription/incentive based newsletter is brilliant, but I didn't know how you knew what people recommended the newbies.  I use MailChimp, and to my knowledge, they don't offer that in their services.
Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes
PolinaCouture
Community Member

Very interesting insight! Thank you

0 Likes
PolinaCouture
Community Member

Very interesting and very useful insights!

Thank you

0 Likes
JDCreativeHands
Community Member

You must ask buyers to opt in to an email list.  If you don't ask them to opt in you will be breaking the law in some countries.

There are many services that offer the ability to start asking buyers to opt in.  Mailchimp is one.  There are others though.    

Quite honestly I don't like getting email requests from anyone I have bought from.  And since that is my personal preference as a buyer, I don't use email lists as a seller.   In the past I did sign up for emails as a buyer or supporter but it became so tedious and annoying as well as consuming so much of my email that a couple of years ago I removed my name from every email list.  What got me even more was that on some I had to request removal 10 times before it finally took.  At the least annoying. 

2 Likes
ClearWaterDesignsbyK
Community Member

Maybe annoying @JDCreativeHands but if @onedaysgracenz find that over 50% of their sales are coming from direct marketing & so many sellers are complaining about being found on Etsy I'd say it's worth doing!

0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Member

@JDCreativeHands  I completely agree!  About a year ago, I unsubscribed to a TON of newsletters, etc.  If I have already purchased from a particular shop, I already know it's there if I need anything else!  I don't have to be reminded.  Reminders would just put me off.  I have every email address from customers in my order book back to 2007.  I would NEVER bother them.

0 Likes
mrsdiz
Community Member

Hi ArtsyTreats.  I have been using Aweber to help with this and it integrates with Etsy.  They also do a free trial.  You can read more about them here.  (I am not that technical but found it pretty easy to start up.)!!  :)

https://www.aweber.com/easy-email.htm?id=498524

0 Likes
ClearWaterDesignsbyK
Community Member

When you say it integrates with Etsy what do you mean? I have been paying for a subscription to Awebber to use a lead magnet in my fb page but because fb puts the e-mail tab on the left hand side of the page, I don't think people see it or know that's where to go to sign up.

0 Likes
MoonlitOrganics
Registered Member

Hello!

I created an email list with Wix for free.  I then add a little "flyer" as the last picture on each of my listings.  It has some info my customers might want as well as an incentive to join my mailing list.  I have definitely had some people use this code and join my mailing list. 

Hope that helps!

Corie - Moonlit Organics

1 Like
mrsdiz
Community Member

On Aweber, they have an option to link up your Etsy store and then after a sale they ask customers if they want to opt in so it's legal because buyers are asked and have the choice to choose not.  Etsy must have teamed up with Aweber so in my eyes this is all legit.

1 Like
LettermixStudio
Community Member

I realize Etsy allows the Aweber integration, however, in sending that very first order confirmation email via Aweber asking to opt in (essentially without buyer consent), customer has already been added to an email list of sorts. Etsy already sends an order confirmation email so the second one from Aweber or similar seems non essential and spammy. Does Aweber also integrate with the Etsy order confirmation email somehow?

0 Likes
ClearWaterDesignsbyK
Community Member

Thanks mrsdiz! I knew I kept paying that subscription for something! LOL  I'll check it out! That sounds sooooo much easier & less time consuming than having to contact each customer who makes a sale & ask if they'd like to be added.

0 Likes
mrsdiz
Community Member

You're welcome :)  Yes I found it hard asking each customer, although it is more personal than an auto form but you can customise the forms on Aweber and there are alot of email templates too as you probably know if you are already on aweber.  Here is the link again if you aren't

https://www.aweber.com/easy-email.htm?id=498524

0 Likes
ClearWaterDesignsbyK
Community Member

@mrsdiz I just wanted to give you an update.  I connected my Etsy shop to Aweber yesterday.  I've had some sales today & was wondering if it worked? I checked their receipts but couldn't see it anywhere so I just looked at my Aweber account & so far I have 3 new subscribers!!! Already!!!  4 pending which means that all of the 7 sales that Iv'e had so far today, checked the box that they'd like to be on my e-mail list!!!! 4 are pending confirmation so I'll see what happens to those.

Thanks so much again for the tip.  Like I mentioned above, I've had an Aweber subscription for over a yr now. I use it for getting e-mails from my fb page but didn't take the time to really see what else it had that I could use.  You brought this to my attention & I'm sooo greatful! This is the fantastic stuff that I learn from these forums.  So happy that I still am able to in the NEW FORUM!

0 Likes
mrsdiz
Community Member

Oh wow that is so awesome! and you are very welcome :)  Glad I could help.  Someone told me once and it really helped me and we Etsyers need all the help we can get!  Beautiful shop too by the way.

All the best

0 Likes
ChevaldeGuerre
Community Member

On Gmail at least, if you click the options - 3 vertical dot menu - on any email from a customer, select 'show original', then press ctrl & F at the same time, enter " mailto " you will find the email address you are looking for.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.