TheVintageStrip
Community Member

Time to Boycott Etsy Ads

Jump to solution

This October had been the worst ever. Etsy Ads is not working. Very costly. Lower views & visits no sales.

Turn them off everyone. Ask to revert back to Pl's. Its the only way. We have to make a stand.

Reply if you have turned them off. Keep it going.

118 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
WoodenInnovations
Community Member

Re: Time to Boycott Etsy Ads

Jump to solution

The ads are a significant income source for Etsy and if enough people turn them off you can be sure etsy will make some changes.

89 Likes
VintageVarietyFinds
Community Member

Jump to solution

I agree  with the  boycott. If enough people  turn them of it can be done.

45 Likes
235 Replies
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

yeap turned mine off ages ago, not worth it when your budget gets used in a few hours.

30 Likes
CuriosAnCollectibles
Community Member

Jump to solution

I did a few searches in the week, ALL the ad spaces on ALL  the pages were filled with items totally unrelated to my search. 

Why is this happening? I don't pay for them myself but if I did I wouldn't be happy with the placement. It's also very irritating for the buyer when you're bombarded with "stuff" you have no intention of buying! 

And no.... It wasn't sellers mis-tagging, it was that no one was obviously paying for that search so Etsy decided in their wisdom to chuck anything in. 

43 Likes
PATRINASPLACE
Community Member

Jump to solution

I don't have paid ads and won't because I spend enough and haven't had any sales at all this week. I used to get about 40 a week the old way but since all these changes I have gone down more than half. I am seeing ETSY is only trying to take our hard earned income. It is typical we do all the work and they keep finding ways to take it away. They also need to get rid of manufactured China items being sold thru China. This site is supposed to be for handmade items . Yet people are buying from Alibaba and reselling at cheap rates we who actually hand make our products can't compete with. Anyone have another store that has decent sales?? I need to go elsewhere. I have the Etsy and Ebay site but need another if these sales keep going down.. 

33 Likes
AdorableMadnessBears
Community Member

Jump to solution

As someone who is only a customer here now, I can assure you it IS annoying.  So much so that sometimes I just stop searching and leave the site.

33 Likes
CustomPortraitArt
Community Member

Jump to solution

My Iisting for a drawing of two cats was shown to people searching for “two naked women exploring each other.  The only word in common is “two”

13 Likes
JasminesTreasuresLLC
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have noticed the same thing and it is so annoying! I searched for something like salt shakers with a certain pattern on them and got candles, crochet hats, etc. Things that weren't even close. I don't have Etsy Ads and never have. If I did, I would definitely not be happy with it working like that.

5 Likes
blingblingfling
Community Member

Jump to solution

Seems to me that their algorithms are hopeless......??? I think its a miracle if we are found by a search, I've always thought so.

8 Likes
foodforthesoul
Community Member

Jump to solution

You said exactly what I was thinking!  All the ads do is annoy the hell out of me when I'm searching for for one thing and see everything but.  I never paid for ads and never will after reading about the cost and hearing from unhappy sellers who used them.  Ads are for people with disposable income and I work too hard for my money to throw it away.

3 Likes
SilversmithcoUSA
Community Member

Jump to solution

same

0 Likes
creativepetra
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have turned them off 2-3 weeks ago. I really love to have the old advertisement method back.

42 Likes

Jump to solution

The same here.  Since they change the method of advertising I spend twice as much on adds and have almost no sales.  I reduced the budget to the minimum and thinking about turning it off completely.  On this method of advertising only Etsy is making money.  We are actually loosing money.  So sad.

5 Likes
mloartware
Community Member

Jump to solution

just got back after...6 months away overseas and as usual I have to adjust to changes, the Etsy ads beofre let you select listings and manually gear certain ones for better viewing, it is not the case. Why?

0 Likes
PTarlowArt
Community Member

Jump to solution

I turned mine off too. They were spending too much too fast and I was being searched for the wrong tags. Sales down when they should be going up. I loved Promoted Listings and being able to choose the amount per click. They worked. What have you done Etsy?

3 Likes
Kitschosaurus
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have turned them off too. Tried them for 30 days, cost a lot, didn't bring in a single sale.

21 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Member

Jump to solution

If they work, then use them. There is no need to "boycott" a service if it is an effective tool for your business.

If they don't work for you, just switch them off, nobody is forcing you to use them.

We're not boycotting the new Ads system, we just switched them off because they're not useful for our business.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

27 Likes
BrickHouseFabrics
Community Member

Jump to solution

What Lawrence said... boycotts on sites like Etsy don't work... they don't even know they are being boycotted... if they don't work, don't use; if they do work for a seller, then great!

The Etsy ads worked for us, but when they switched we turned them off. It is like anything... a tool; and it is a choice to use it or not, whether that tool works for a particular shop.

8 Likes
WoodenInnovations
Community Member

Jump to solution

The ads are a significant income source for Etsy and if enough people turn them off you can be sure etsy will make some changes.

89 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Community Member

Jump to solution

I completely agree. It would be great if this would happen organically.
You can see from Etsy behavior that some of the features they have tried to sell us in the past have fallen flat, on their own lack of merit. No boycott needed.

Then I see so many shops here offering "free" shipping, at the same time stating in the forum that it doesn't benefit them, or even causes them to lose money. WTF?
So, yes, try something if you think it might benefit your shop. Stop it if you think it isn't working.
And if that seems to decrease sales, start up again. But don't just do what Etsy tells you to do because you know, at this point, what Etsy tells you to do is what will benefit Etsy and not necessarily you.

27 Likes
timelapse
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am in this group... not really boycotting, I just could see they don't work.  Turned them off when the whole mess started. Sad because PL had worked well for me. The only ones this is meant to benefit is the shareholders.

17 Likes
tassellove
Community Member

Jump to solution

I'm getting about half of my sales from ads.   Ads don't work for some people (a LOT of people) but I'm supposing they are working for a lot of people, too.  I'm going to keep them on for now.

2 Likes
Rosie247
Community Member

Jump to solution

Never used them, never will.

13 Likes
MaiaShopTR
Community Member

Jump to solution

I use. However, only my budget is running low. No sales are coming. I'm thinking about what to do.

3 Likes
WoodenInnovations
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BrickHouseFabrics @FancyTogs  Your missing the point. Ads are a significant source of revenue for Etsy and if enough shops stop using the new ads because they are no longer working, Etsy will need to make some changes to get that revenue back. As you can see in this and several other forum posts the new ads are not cost effective for many many shops. No one is suggesting boycotting the site, just turning off the advertising. 

3 Likes
socialtyes
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am not getting anything from the Ads, that is why I turned them off, but darn it they keep turning them back on again, I'd like to know where they get that permission from, certainly not from me.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.