Highlighted
PunkRam
Community Member

Etsy ads shows one listing much more then others

Jump to solution

I just started using Etsy and have now 12 items listed. Turned on Etsy ads and there is one item showed a lot more then other (400 times showed vs 4 times showed). All the items have basicly the same title and tags (except the differences like colors etc) .. Anyone knows how this can be better controlled?

Tx!

2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Re: Etsy ads shows one listing much more then others

Jump to solution

@PunkRam  OK, I see now that you are a very new shop with only one sale. So in your opening post, I assume you are talking about "impressions" when you say "shown".

An impression is when your listing is included in a set of search results.

A click is when someone actually clicks into the listing because they are interested in it. You pay for that click when it occurs. This is the aim of using Etsy Ads - to get clicks.

Because you only have one sale so far, there is not enough data on any of your listings for ranking purposes. So Etsy will indeed choose one of your items and promote that one more than the others.

Once you have more clicks and sales, each individual listing starts to gather a data trail attached to it. When that happens, your listings are ranked very differently, using criteria based on the history of each listing.

So the best thing you can do is follow the final bit of advice I give above about changing the factors in your listings that the algorithm uses right now, which are  - words in your title, tags in each listing, category you list in, Attributes you choose. Right now, your best move is to try and get into MORE search results that come from different sorts of search queries.

For example, all your bracelet listings say "paracord bracelet" in the title. Change at least one of them so it doesn't have that keyword in it. Use a title along different lines, something like "Water woman bracelet, summer fashion in yellow for teens or adults" or whatever.

Change another listing so the title/tags target a different type of buyer, for example "Surfer bracelet, blue cord & sterling silver, lightweight, waterpoof"

List some in "charm bracelets", some in "bracelets", some in the "spiritual" categories if appropriate.

In attributes, check suitable for teens in one listing, unisex adults in another, women in another etc. the idea is to cover as much ground as you can while still making sure your choices are accurate for the product.

For tags use a wider range - words such as these: beachwear (or beach wear), surfer accessory, water sports, gift for swimmer, waterproof, beach girl, wear resistant, unbreakable, resort fashion, holiday gift, adjustable size, Christmas stocking stuffer, secret santa gift, gift under 30, BFF gift, teen bracelet, guy's jewelry, minimalist jewelry ... and so on.

You know who you are selling to, so use the appropriate words for a much wider audience than you currently are, so more of your items appear in different searches from each other.

And take the over-exposed item out of your campaign.

3 Likes
20 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Member

Jump to solution

Where are you seeing that?

0 Likes
PunkRam
Community Member

Jump to solution

If using Etsy ads, you can find these here:

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/advertising

Scroll down .. 

1 Like
maydaylabels
Community Member

Jump to solution

That item has better shopper engagement (that is, more people click on it, favorite it, and buy it) than the others, so Etsy shows it more often.

0 Likes
PunkRam
Community Member

Jump to solution

This is impossible, not enough data for sure.

0 Likes
maydaylabels
Community Member

Jump to solution

How long have they been listed?  

0 Likes
PunkRam
Community Member

Jump to solution

Not very long. Like 10 days. In theory i think they all should be shown equal times.

0 Likes
maydaylabels
Community Member

Jump to solution

10 days is enough time to gather 10 days' worth of shopper interactions with your items (not just in ads)

0 Likes
PunkRam
Community Member

Jump to solution

Thx for your help! But if I look at the interactions and stats I think this is not possible ( to little visits and no favs or sales ) ( Even other items are sold not the one that's shown the most ) ..  Also if I remove the item that's shown extremely more then the other, the others are not shown more .. 

0 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Ive been saying this for ages regarding when you advertise all your listings, although i do not bother with the Ads now its still effecting me to get found even now i have had them turned off for over 2 months.

When i had the Ads on it appeared they only ever picked out 6 items out of 70 items to show all day long and all week long even if i had something else similar to the description of what someone was looking for they would not show them, at one time i had 4 rose quartz pendants and they only ever showed the same one, also i had various moonstone pendants and again they only ever showed the same one!! and even now with my Ads off they still insist on just showing 6 of my items per day and this is why my impressions are always so low, where most peoples are in the 1000s mine are always in the 100s,

Also the other problem i have  they keep picking out the same item  constantly  to show even if the search request does not match and if i run out of this item i then get hardly any views or sales, so basically i have to have that one item in my shop to get seen which is not great as i dont like to make items over and over and try and do either one off pieces or a max of 20 in a design, but looks like i will have to keep making this one item constantly to keep my views up, I ran out of this item yesterday and my views today are 79% down and this will now continue like this  until i get everything together to make some more!!

I just wish i had never started up the Ads in the first place as its messed my whole shop up. so yes i know exactly what your saying and its very annoying!!

0 Likes
PunkRam
Community Member

Jump to solution

Thx for your reply. I think the answer of @onedaysgracenz  explains a lot. I'm going to give it a try. Might maybe work for you too.

1 Like
GemmaxMontreal
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have seen this happening in my Promoted listings in the past. Then one day, it disapeared and the visits were then shared equally amongs my listings. I now rarely have more than one visit per item even since Etsy Ads replaced PL.

But, now, I face an increasing amount of visit for a few bunch of listings, Always the same gang of listings. I dont like this because I do not have best sellers and prefer that all my listings be showed equally. I just let the AI figure it and work differently.

1 Like
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Jump to solution

The search algorithm will always favor one item over other similar ones when relevancy is pretty much the same for them all. It does this with Ads as well as with organic results.

It becomes a self-perpetuating cycle because the more it is shown the more it is likely to get shown. Some sellers don't mind this as the item being shown is a good seller and/or useful for drawing eyes into their store.

If you don't want that to happen, take the over-exposed item out of your Ad campaign for a while. That forces the algorithm to select a new similar product to show instead.

If you are finding the item being shown is not producing sales, just empty clicks, then take the item out of your campaign so something else gets shown instead.

However, if all your items are basically the same, then there isn't much point in advertising them all. The algorithm will always favor one over the others.

Another thing you could try is to use very different keywords in your titles and tags for each listing so each listing ends up in different search results. Use different category choices and different attribute choices too where applicable. If you do that, the algorithm might think they are all "unique" products and so show more of them in different, wider sets of search results.

2 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Jump to solution

@PunkRam  OK, I see now that you are a very new shop with only one sale. So in your opening post, I assume you are talking about "impressions" when you say "shown".

An impression is when your listing is included in a set of search results.

A click is when someone actually clicks into the listing because they are interested in it. You pay for that click when it occurs. This is the aim of using Etsy Ads - to get clicks.

Because you only have one sale so far, there is not enough data on any of your listings for ranking purposes. So Etsy will indeed choose one of your items and promote that one more than the others.

Once you have more clicks and sales, each individual listing starts to gather a data trail attached to it. When that happens, your listings are ranked very differently, using criteria based on the history of each listing.

So the best thing you can do is follow the final bit of advice I give above about changing the factors in your listings that the algorithm uses right now, which are  - words in your title, tags in each listing, category you list in, Attributes you choose. Right now, your best move is to try and get into MORE search results that come from different sorts of search queries.

For example, all your bracelet listings say "paracord bracelet" in the title. Change at least one of them so it doesn't have that keyword in it. Use a title along different lines, something like "Water woman bracelet, summer fashion in yellow for teens or adults" or whatever.

Change another listing so the title/tags target a different type of buyer, for example "Surfer bracelet, blue cord & sterling silver, lightweight, waterpoof"

List some in "charm bracelets", some in "bracelets", some in the "spiritual" categories if appropriate.

In attributes, check suitable for teens in one listing, unisex adults in another, women in another etc. the idea is to cover as much ground as you can while still making sure your choices are accurate for the product.

For tags use a wider range - words such as these: beachwear (or beach wear), surfer accessory, water sports, gift for swimmer, waterproof, beach girl, wear resistant, unbreakable, resort fashion, holiday gift, adjustable size, Christmas stocking stuffer, secret santa gift, gift under 30, BFF gift, teen bracelet, guy's jewelry, minimalist jewelry ... and so on.

You know who you are selling to, so use the appropriate words for a much wider audience than you currently are, so more of your items appear in different searches from each other.

And take the over-exposed item out of your campaign.

3 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@onedaysgracenz  as your always really helpful and full of brilliant advice, how do i sort my mess out? since i have not had the one item available since Saturday my views and visits have dropped off again, although etsy are telling me that most of my items are in the top 100 of search results but it does not appear they are because i have to rely on that one item to  get any clicks and visits

Yesterday i was 78% down and today i am now showing 82% down, so if i am 82% down on yesterday it just makes me feel when i do not have that item in my shop i am put in a a very deep dark hole and never to be seen again and have no hope of getting any sales again until i am able to make this one item again, but i dont want to rely on that one item to get seen :(

I have had 2 days in about 4 months where it appeared they showed most of my items in the search results and then the rest of the time they just seem to throw in 6 of my items out of 70 every day including the one i am now out of stock of so that will now bring me down to 5 items being shown, its just ridiculous, i have now got 9 items that i listed 3 weeks ago and they have not been seen, where these items i have sold some of each on Ebay in the first week, i just feel now even if i keep adding items its not going to make any difference to getting seen.

This whole mess has only started happening when i started promoting my items and now its appears its going to stay this way for the rest of my time on here,  i think next year if i am going to stay on here i will have to start a new shop and close this one and start all over again

0 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Jump to solution

@daisysjewellerygifts, I honestly don't know how you could "sort out" what you are doing because i don't know enough about your individual shop to offer any advice. I can't give specific store advice unless I know a whole lot about your store, which is why I don't go there in forum posts. I try to keep anything I say as general as possible and use examples from my own shop or examples of things that apply to many/most shops.

But here is what I would say, reading your recent posts. You are way overthinking the whole subject. Take some time out from watching your stats.

You can't ever tell anything about your business by looking at short periods of time, or by doing your own searches for your own products.

You must also take into account external factors that might be impacting your sales. Certainly the current political uncertainty in the US & UK isn't helping anyone - not you, me or Etsy. That is not your fault, or my fault or Etsy's fault.

If you are not happy with how Etsy Ads are working for you, and if using them causes you a lot of stress, perhaps it is better to consider not using them. Somewhere around 80% or more of Etsy sellers NEVER use them at all.

If you can't afford to spend money on them for a period of time without getting sales directly from them, then you actually can't afford this type of advertising. You should be able to fund advertising out of money you don't "need" to live on or to run your shop on. Advertising is a luxury for most small owner-operated businesses.

I suspect you are so focused on tiny small details that you aren't considering the bigger picture of your goals for your shop, and how best to make your goals a reality. Take time out from Etsy Ads and think about how you can achieve whatever your goals are by other means. Advertising is not the only way to run an online shop - there are many more facets to selling than using a few Ads :-)

I'm sorry I can't be more personally helpful to you, but that is outside my capabilities in a forum.

2 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

I stopped using them over 2 months ago but it still seems to be the same thing happening, i have just gone into the stats now and even that is messed up, because i  click on the calender 7th november to the the 11th november and now its showing me July so its obviosly doing the date figures as the usa style and picking up the 7 as a month, so have just clicked on the same range in july and now its showing me November so even that is all messed up today!! i just give up now,

Just to top now my shop is not  loading, im just getting a blank page!! thats it  im going out for the day as I know i wont be getting any sales today and had enough of this now, give me strength :)

0 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Its now day 4 without that one item available in my shop and I am completely flat lined today, no views and no visits for over 10hrs ,I think I might need to call Etsy and ask them why if i do not have that one item available for sale i do not get seen, as surely this cant be right.

0 Likes
IglinzCrafts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Stats have not been updated for 14 hours now, so don't be surprised about no visits today.

1 Like
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

@IglinzCrafts , thanks, i will see what happens tomorrow but this seems to happen alot now if i run out of that one item.

0 Likes
JJJewellerySupplies
Community Member

Jump to solution

If they all have very similar titles then Google might think they are duplicates and only show one of them.  You should always mix up the word order for each listing so that no two listings are the same. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.