People are seeing dashboard notifications & are reporting that they are getting messages when trying to adjust their Promoted Listings, so it looks like the day is finally here.

Here are the basic help files on Etsy Ads that I could find so far:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033701174-How-to-Set-Up-an-Etsy-Ads-Campaign
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033599154-How-to-Advertise-Your-Listings-with-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034223613-How-to-Review-the-Performance-of-Your-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling

It's going to take me a few minutes to go through everything, but it looks like you will be transitioned to them if you don't change your own PLs over within the next few days ("by September").

*****EDIT: this means that if you have a high daily maximum budget, Etsy may spend the entire excess on Google Ads without you knowing, if you are not checking your ads every hour. You can still edit your daily maximum at this time (I just did in my other shop)*****

Etsy first announced these during their 2nd quarter financial results call, which we analyzed here: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Pricing-and-Finance/Etsy-2nd-Quarter-2019-Financial-Results-Site-Sales-Up-21-4-to-1/m-p/127564451 

(post includes links to the announcements, the call transcript etc.)

SewardStreetStudios
Community Member

Re: Etsy Ads are rolling out

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, in the last 2 days I have seen multiple people complain about the lack of targeting in the ads on Etsy.  People looking to buy specific items, like a vintage art deco sapphire ring, was being shown ads for vintage carpets.  When I did the search I didn't get carpets, I got door knobs.

Because we can't control our CPC, or specify target keywords to advertise, the bots are picking things to show willy-nilly. Fortunately (?) this is the sort of complaint Etsy does listen to.  Buyers saying they can't find what they are looking for will carry more weight than sellers unhappy with change.

It makes me wonder if the AI used for ad selection is the same one used for the general search.  The non-ads are all spot-on, it's just the ads that are not lining up with the search.  But with an ad row every 4th line, it does put a lot of mis-matched results in front of the buyer.

7 Likes
HeatherJordanJewelry
Community Member

Jump to solution

I’ve seen the same thing so that’s why I’m wondering if bad targeting is the reason my clicks & budget consumption has crashed so badly on items that were previously very active. It may also explain why sales from the EAs are so much smaller now than before. This is why I swapped in smaller items— they may be more likely to sell as “impulse buys” to folks who found them accidentally while searching for something else. If it works, I will definitely change the items I advertise here on Etsy. I’m just searching for the best items to promote, as opposed to fiddling with the budget. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Spellbinderie
Community Member

Jump to solution

PSA: For those seeing zeros in the stats columns when using the CUSTOM DATE RANGE option

I believe I have figured out that the issue is due to language settings.  Seems this option wasn't fully developed.

My issue started when I switched from US English to French and was fixed when I went back to US English.

I posted this fix in bugs and others have started to report that this fix works for them as well.  It appears that any other language (including UK English for example) causes the zeros.

If you're having the problem, set your language to US ENGLISH.

6 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Even though they are a day behind now on my charge for the ads, only just got charged today for the 14th, at least now they have stopped charging me vat on top of the max ad budget and have included the vat in the cost, need to call up etsy today to get all the wrong charges back to my account today, does anyone know the uk call centre number as lost it and its really hard to find on the internet, thanks.

1 Like
YaBeezer
Community Member

Jump to solution

Out of interest, do you get charged VAT on everything? every time you list, sell, vat on transaction, vat on processing fee, vat on ads?

I'll need to check if I'm being charged VAT on top of max ad budget, but isn't that hard to find out when they're going over the ad limit every day?

1 Like
ZoyaMakarova
Community Member

Jump to solution

@daisysjewellerygifts 

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/were-just-a-phone-call-away/505439329497
+1 (844) 387-9910 in the United States
+61 1800-951-925 in Australia
+44 808-164-9593 in the United Kingdom

2 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

@YaBeezer 

They should  charge VAT, on top of the ad cost,

so if you spend $1 a day in ads, you will be charged an extra $0.20 VAT, the vat on ads shows on a separate line on the payment account.... or it did up till the 15th, when I switched them off

3 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

the vat is still showing separately but before they were charging me my full amount in click budget and then adding on the vat on top of that but this time the total click cost and the vat cost has added up to my set budget where is before it was going way over.

0 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

Hmmmm.... maybe the programmers are tinkering!

1 Like
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

no idea what they are doing but i got a refund on being over charged and got a refund for when i had no listings showing and they were still charging me, got over £10 back onto my account but i am sure that will soon get swallowed up in the next couple of days.

Every time i look at my stats it tells me something different, its all very strange, and can only see my clicks if i change to  usa english and have it set to show me the fees in GBP it shows my in dollars still.

Maybe one day it will sort it self out and then they will probably change it again!!

2 Likes
CarpetCollectionAU
Community Member

Jump to solution

@daisysjewellerygiftsYes, The numbers to call are there but really hard to find. You have to navigate the Etsy Help Centre to get to one option which gives you Contact Numbers

Hope this helps

North America +1 844 659 3879

United Kingdom +44 00 011 9700

Australia +61 1800 531 536

4 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

thank you so much :)

0 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

finally my clicks have come up and they have charged me for 1 click on a item $0.66 so even worse than i thought :( have turned that one off now and the rest of the few items they have shown have been charged at between  30 cents and 45 cents a click, there is no way i would of ever set my clicks to those costs, but it does appear they have picked out the new listed items to show and of course even on the old promo they used to set the click rate high but of course you could change it then but now you cant, so i am wondering the more new items i add will it be the case of even less than 4 clicks a day because the click cost will of course go up and my budget will run out even quicker, one item has just been  renewed so that must mean my click charges will also change  every time I renew something and i have no control to change the cost :(

With the old promo i always promoted new items for a short while at $0.30 per click because obviously now when you list something new it starts as the bottom of the search results and takes forever to rise up then once i saw the item getting in the top 100 search i would take it back down to $0.10 but now I wont be able to do that unless i up my budget to a stupid amount per month where i promote new items for a few days but then would have to turn them off because of the click cost.

so going on that i would never be able to renew items and also would only be able to show old items as a promotion so to keep my click cost down and i get shown more in the 24 hrs, but the only problem with that obviously when you sell an item it automatically renews, so will that change the click cost?

3 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CindyLouDoesStats  @Spellbinderie 

This is why I think clicks are so much more - they are showing our  items that are not relevant to the search, and if someone clicks on curiosity, it's a lot for the click, as the item wouldn't have been that far up the search by itself, with a low bid

I did a dump of all my search terms, before I was switched over, when I was switched over, I turned off my crochet jug cover. Which was getting views, and purchases, on 1c a click.

I turned it on for a day, and had 1 click, at 44c, (no purchase) the search term was - white jug

it's in - home and living - kitchen and dining - linens - table linens,

The material section is ticked as - cotton

I do have white, and jug, but not together,

I have - "milk jug cover", and "white crochet", as tags

I also have high price clicks on my tea cosies, for

crochet cup cozy
New Zealand Pottery
pottery cup

......... so, etsy us using the PL budget to bump me up, on not very relevant terms, by finding a word, and bumping up the bid, so it is very high up, and as I had no purchases from ads in the time they were on, the clicks were just people looking as something a bit different, with probably no intention of buying.

by capping the cpc, I was able to limit etsy's daft SEO - and bumping mine up to a good place in the relevant search, with low cpc,
but now, we are paying for the fact that etsy's SEO is rubbish, so it's bumping up items in non-relevant searches, which costs a lot, when a browser clicks.

basically, I don't need much cpc to bump my tea cosies up, in a tea cosy search, where it already probably has a good quality score, and less competition, but I need a lot of cpc, to bump it up in a pottery search where there is more competition, and I have a poor quality score.... and people may click, but won't buy!

12 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Community Member

Jump to solution

I think your analysis here is spot on!

3 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CraftyCornishMaids  thank you for this! A few others have noticed this as well. I even experienced it with PLs a few times, but at least there I could adjust the bid to correct for times my item had far too good a PL quality score & was being shown for 1-word searches where I only had the word in the tags. 

1 Like
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes but also in the last 2 weeks before the switch over they were starting to put the prices up on their recommended  click cost, because every time i listed something new i would go straight on to the promo and lower the click cost because it was just getting ridiculous, on the last item i listed and had to change on promo they wanted to charge me over $2 per click for a £14.99 item, so they were obviously raising the click charges in time for this new Ad Promo, and of course now you will not have a clue what they have set your new items at until they get clicked on!! very crafty!!!??

0 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@DaisyJewelleryGifts   I think that some of the ad inflation in August was people trying to compensate for not offering free shipping. I know I tried that on a few listings, budgeting more than twice my usual spend for the month to try to see if that would work (answer: not really, for my items. The ROI went down a lot for only a small increase in sales.)

1 Like
GwenMeyerson
Community Member

Jump to solution

I stopped the ads before the weekend.  They had been on since Sept. 9th.  No orders from them though I had a few orders midweek. I was unsure if I did the right thing as it was a low traffic weekend.  But Sunday nights are usually good and I did get 4 orders with one a multiple item order.  So these came from ordinary search from within etsy I am thinking.  I will monitor this thread as some are having luck with ads.  I was concerned as many are with my CPC going up but will try again maybe in a week.

1 Like
Buntique
Community Member

Jump to solution

Well I just turned the ads off. The cost of them has steadily been going up since the switch over to the Etsy Ads with no sales. Since support is telling people it will take 30 to 60 days for the machine learning to kick in, I'm just not feeling like funding that learning, especially with no control over the click rate and the most abysmal access to any stats for these ads. It just seems like Etsy wants us to pay more for less than we had before.

14 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

I had half the listings this time last year, never did promotion and its now saying i am down 34% on last year.

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy isn't being a good steward of your advertising budget either.

See this one example of many.
UK search for: mismatched coloured wine glasses
US search for: mismatched colored wine glasses

While I see more organic search results in the US than in the UK, both one page search results have the same issue. The Ads being shown are for unrelated wine glasses that do not match the search terms. The unrelated Ads only show in Ads (no organic listing), so if a user is curious, their only choice is to click on an Ad for the unrelated item, costing the seller an over-inflated CPC charge via new Etsy Ads.

And even more curious, Etsy Ads are running on my three organic listings in the US search, yet none appear in the Ads shown.

Is Etsy a good steward of your Advertising budget? The answer is NO, as the above so clearly illustrates.

NOTE: Thank you to the UK seller banned from the Forum long ago that called this example to my attention.

9 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@GRITSGirlz  that's definitely one of many problems with ads right now, in small searches. That one predated the Etsy Ads roll out by a month or two, though, so it seems to be compounding issues rather than being directly caused by Etsy Ads. (my best guess, anyway, given the timing.)

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CindyLouDoesStats  Yes, I agree it predates the new Etsy Ads, but it's a perfect example of why Etsy is not a good steward of a seller's Advertising budget.  Items like this should have been addressed to ensure Etsy wasn't spending a seller's budget unnecessarily.

3 Likes
daisysjewellerygifts
Community Member

Jump to solution

its  showing me zero results in the uk but showing me over 11.000 for everywhere.

Last month when it seemed my listings were not being shown and it was like they were just showing 6 of my items, pretty much like they are now with a pathetic 300 impressions a day,i did the trick where i deactivated everything , signed out, then signed back in and activated everything again and all of a sudden it seemed like every  one of my listings came alive and i was getting lots of sales and lots of activity on my dashboard, and impression were coming in at 1500 to 2000 per day but then it just came to a very abrupt stop in the matter of 3 days !! i have tried the trick again since and nothing :(

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.