People are seeing dashboard notifications & are reporting that they are getting messages when trying to adjust their Promoted Listings, so it looks like the day is finally here.

Here are the basic help files on Etsy Ads that I could find so far:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033701174-How-to-Set-Up-an-Etsy-Ads-Campaign
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033599154-How-to-Advertise-Your-Listings-with-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034223613-How-to-Review-the-Performance-of-Your-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling

It's going to take me a few minutes to go through everything, but it looks like you will be transitioned to them if you don't change your own PLs over within the next few days ("by September").

*****EDIT: this means that if you have a high daily maximum budget, Etsy may spend the entire excess on Google Ads without you knowing, if you are not checking your ads every hour. You can still edit your daily maximum at this time (I just did in my other shop)*****

Etsy first announced these during their 2nd quarter financial results call, which we analyzed here: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Pricing-and-Finance/Etsy-2nd-Quarter-2019-Financial-Results-Site-Sales-Up-21-4-to-1/m-p/127564451 

(post includes links to the announcements, the call transcript etc.)

CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Re: Etsy Ads are rolling out

Jump to solution

I sell really well, on AH, to UK buyers

Why do I sell on Etsy?

To get exposure to Etsy buyers, in particular USA etsy buyers

Where would I put my advertising budget - etsy usa buyers

where does etsy want me to put my money - advertising on google, to move my buyers from UK AH to etsy - why would I pay to do that?, 

If it's what etsy wants, they can pay for it,
my money is not going there, and If I can't direct it, where I need it, then it's staying in my pocket.

12 Likes
DelectaParis
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy still chose his interest from that of his sellers.
We must not lie, the reality is that in fine Google Ad aims to bring more traffic to Etsy than to bring traffic to our shop. It is possible that the customer buys on our shop but it is much more likely that he pursues his visit by searching on Etsy. By merging PL & Google Ad, Etsy will be able to reorient our advertising budget on Google Ad.

3 Likes
DelectaParis
Community Member

Jump to solution

The ROI on advertising will decrease significantly and some sellers who massively use PLs will suffer very strongly. Personally, I just dropped by 5 my max budget. We'll see over a week or two what this gives as a result

5 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Community Member

Jump to solution

I've cancelled PLs in our other shop here, and will be cancelling them in this shop too at the end of the month.

I don't want to advertise my Etsy shop for this brand on Google. I do my own campaigns on Google for my own website, so I certainly don't want Etsy to spend my money just so I can compete with myself on Google.

Guess I won't be doing any Etsy advertising at all now I can't use PLs just in this site.  PLs have done reasonably well for me here for many years, so I'll wait and see what happens when I don't use them.

Etsy is becoming increasingly difficult for me as a seller. We are closing down our other Etsy shop slowly as items expire, and that may be on the cards for this shop too if my ROI here drops without PLs.

Etsy is very time consuming, and its getting to the point where it is TOO time consuming for the amount of profit generated. I can earn more elsewhere for my limited time availability on the "computer work" side of online retailing. I don't have time to put into the new Etsy Ad set up, and from what I can see from info provided, it won't be a good fit for my business anyway.

25 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

I certainly don't want Etsy to spend my money just so I can compete with myself on Google.

That's exactly what I think, if Etsy wants to bring my shoppers here, from where I'm selling elsewhere, they can pay,

I'm not paying money just to move my customers from a different platform, to here

9 Likes
LandandSeaGems
Community Member

Jump to solution

“Etsy is very time consuming, and its getting to the point where it is TOO time consuming for the amount of profit generated.”

This is where I am at. Each change in the last 18 months has increased the amount of time required to add a new listing or to print labels or has increased costs with less visibility and fewer sales. This change is no different. I suspect yet another reduced ROI.  If one sells truly one of a kind items it only works with very high profit margins. It is actually cheaper for me to sell on EBay now.

It’s harder for truly one of a kind to scale and since 20% of sellers on Etsy represent 80% of their profits that is where their focus is. They aren’t concerned with the loss of PL dollars from sellers who spend a couple hundred a year. They want more of the budgets from that 20% who spend thousands and are likely to spend more. Helping that 20% to grow is a better ROI for Etsy. 

11 Likes
digitaldoodlebug
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yep. Etsy gives less and less return. I stopped spending so much time on it a few years ago after working non stop for months trying to get my sales back. I'm much happier not worrying about etsy but sad to see my small sales still decreasing and every move they make. 

5 Likes
CoxCameras
Community Member

Jump to solution

The amount of time I spend to try to understand these changes is unreal.

Right now, I was about to start researching prices for a new batch of Pyrex and start listing items.  But I have spent a while now reading this thread and looking at my own PL settings.

I just WISH that they would leave us alone.  What a crazy place to be in where I think Ebay is the better platform in some respects.  I looked at going back to Ebay, but I know I won't get nearly as much for my items there as I do at Etsy.  Then again, if I don't have any sales at Etsy, then I guess I'd be getting more at Ebay...

5 Likes
BLaudineEminence
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy is a crazy amount of work ... but also precarious. 

I’ve had customers open cases because shipping took longer than 3-4 days ... they always end well with the customer getting their item within the next few days ... but a couple of those at once could get my shop shut down. And the more successful my shop gets, the more likely it’s to happen. 

Im working on my own shop ... I list here, but designs, photos, etc, are created with my own shop in mind.

2 Likes
LindasJewelryShopLLC
Community Member

Jump to solution

I agree with you about how time consuming Etsy is. Its crazy! And it gets worse all the time. We all just went through reviewing our shops to decide if free shipping is beneficial to us. That meant a great deal of time spent re-evaluating profit margins, pricing strategies, cost comparisons, ect. Now when that change is said and done, just when you think you are caught up with new Etsy changes, and now you may have the time to create a new product line for your shop (you know creating, the things we love to do.....) Etsy now has us all scrambling to re-evaluate our advertising strategies and what will be cost effective. How about giving us some time to get ready for the holidays like ordering supplies, evaluating our top sellers to continue, items to remove, and new items to add. Maybe time for photo updates. Besides wanting time to create, there is quite a lot of work to running a shop. I wish they would stop making so many changes, or at least slow down, especially so close to the holidays so we can use our time more effectively to run our businesses. I was hoping to work on photos this month preparing for the holidays. But now I am in a time crunch to get a handle of PL stats, keywords, and all that useful info before they automatically change us over and we can no longer access that info. It seems with all these constant frequent changes, we have so little time to do what we love to do.

3 Likes
BenMcfuzzylugs
Community Member

Jump to solution

Has anyone tried to set it up yet? All the links are dead to me 

2 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BenMcfuzzylugs   It's possible not everyone has the option yet, but I was able to set it up for this shop here: https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/advertising

Do not leave Pls to go to Etsy Ads unless you have checked all of your old keyword data from PLs and are ok with losing it, as you can only see the last 30 days & 12 months of the data, and only on listings you are continuing to advertise. And there is no way to go back once you switch.

5 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CindyLouDoesStats  Thanks for the informative blog post - I've shared it with my team and I'll post to CQ as well for further sharing

I noticed this morning that the Etsy help file on Etsy Plus mentions the credit that used to be applied to PLs now says credit is for Etsy Ads.  (wish they would date their help files but that's an issue for another day)

3 Likes
OldCastleCandles
Community Member

Jump to solution

So, I'm guessing Etsy will no longer include our products (at no extra costs) on Google Ads like they've been doing for years? This was ALWAYS included with our fees in the past. Why would you want to spend your hard-earned money on ads with Google to drive traffic to Etsy, and not necessarily directly to your shop?

5 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@OldCastleCandles   we don't know that yet. It's hard to imagine they would cancel them entirely right away, as they say they are their best performing ads, and they know most Etsy shops do not buy ads at all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
MarshFineWoodworking
Community Member

Jump to solution

The platform that Etsy uses in the new Etsy Ads is a Google Smart Campaign. Etsy provides Google a set of starter keywords based off your Title, Tags, Categories, and Attributes. From there, Google automatically expands the keywords you show up for, based on what it's algorithm deems as "relevant", and what's in your Description.  A regular Google Smart Campaign (outside of Etsy) has the ability to disable keywords that are not relevant to what you sell. Etsy's version of GSC does not. This means you have no choice but to bid on the irrelevant keywords, and there will be a lot of them. On a test I ran last month with a Google Smart Campaign, Google turned the 20 specific keywords I provided into 800 "related keywords". Of the 800, 65% of them were irrelevant or too generic. I would go in every day and disable the irrelevant keywords and over a 2 week period of time I started to see a little improvement in ROI. Etsy isn't giving us this ability. We have no choice but to waste our budget on irrelevant keywords.

Even if you made all your Tags super-specific and removed any generic keywords, it won't help. Because Etsy uses your categories & attributes as keywords. I sell engraved and inlaid wooden necklaces. So in my case, it will force me to advertise on Google for keywords like "Jewelry", "Pendants", etc. Then Google takes the liberty of expanding your keywords to words they deem are related. I.E.: "Gold Jewelry", "Sterling Silver Jewelry", etc.

The Google Ads CPC for "Gold Jewelry" right now is $1.91/click. Under this new platform, I will be forced to bid on "Gold Jewelry", though I don't sell Gold Jewelry, and forced to pay the high CPC because there is no CPC control and no way to exclude the keyword.

My average sale is $25.00. My average click-to-sale conversion is 1.8%. Using those numbers, if I have to pay $1.91/click for the keyword "Gold Jewelry", I will pay $106.00 in marketing to sell a $25.00 item. (And I'm not going to convert at 1.8% on the keyword "Gold Jewelry" because I do not sell Gold Jewelry. I stopped using Google Ads for a reason. For my market, there is no ROI. There is no cost control. I lose money. A lot of it.  

67 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

So, this gets me thinking,

if you set your budget at $1 a day, will you only get ads on etsy, as you can't afford them on google?

3 Likes
MarnasHissyFits
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CraftyCornishMaids  My daily budget is set to $1.50 and if the new ads blow through that fast then I will be forced to turn them off. I would imagine since a huge portion of sellers do keep lower daily budgets that Etsy will see a large exodus of the new ads. Seem awfully counterproductive.  I don't know the answer to your question but I hope that would be the case.

4 Likes
ClearCutSupply
Community Member

Jump to solution

The bummer here is that you will also likely be paying for the keyword "wooden" and "wood inlay" in which case most folks would be looking for furniture etc. What a waste of money. On the flip side, you may also discover a few gem keywords you hadn't thought of yet. 

1 Like
MoniqueLula
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes I just turned off the google ads after over $70 spend and no sales. Its a rip off. I do good with promoted listings. I will probably just turn ot all off now.

No bid cap? That should be illegal. Thanks for sticking it to us Etsy. 

And cannot opt out of google? How can they force us to buy google ads? I feel violated. Over ten years running my shop, this is the worst and crummiest thing etsy has ever done. I am so disappointed.

4 Likes
SoulStarChakras
Community Member

Jump to solution

I'm turning my PL's off as I want no part of this utter bull...t

I will also turn auto renewal off my listings. Etsy, it's been a blast. But enough is enough. You do not decide how I spend my advertising money and I won't have you manipulate your search results based on a bribe to be shown there by offering free f..king delivery.

Suddenly ebay seems a more suitable place. At least you only pay for your sponsored listing when it sells on there. And you can choose the %.

4 Likes
MarshFineWoodworking
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CraftyCornishMaids If you set your daily budget to $1, it will still show you on Google. I set my Google Ads's daily budget to $2.00 and it charged me $1.50/click. I would get 1-2 clicks a day.

5 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

@MarshFineWoodworking 

Ah well,

maybe I'll spend my money on chocolate cake instead, at least it will make be feel good!

24 Likes
DoceVikaVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CraftyCornishMaids  

save a piece of the chocolate cake for me too... 

1 Like
MarshFineWoodworking
Community Member

Jump to solution

What I posted in the "Etsy Ads Survey", and I suggest everyone do something similar.

Survey Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSegKpRjxCM-FI8Wnyfx9SE2aUr53-NSc0YH7eBjIb1iY8Cnqw/viewform

The platform that Etsy uses in the new Etsy Ads is a Google Smart Campaign. Etsy provides Google a set of starter keywords based off my Title, Tags, Categories, and Attributes. From there, Google automatically expands the keywords I show up for, based on what it's algorithm deems as "relevant". A regular Google Smart Campaign (outside of Etsy) has the ability to disable keywords that are not relevant to what you sell. Etsy's version of Google Ads does not. This means I have no choice but to bid on the irrelevant keywords, and there will be a lot of them. On a test I ran last month with a Google Smart Campaign, Google turned the 20 specific keywords I provided into 800 "related keywords". Of the 800, 65% of them were irrelevant or too generic. I would go in every day and disable the irrelevant keywords and over a 2 week period of time I started to see a little improvement in ROI. Etsy isn't giving us this ability. I will have no choice but to waste my budget on irrelevant keywords.

Even if I make my Tags super-specific and removed any generic keywords, it won't help. Because Etsy uses categories & attributes as keywords. I sell engraved and inlaid WOODEN necklaces. So in my case, it will force me to advertise on Google for keywords like "Jewelry", "Pendants", etc. Then Google takes the liberty of expanding your keywords to words they deem are related. I.E.: "Gold Jewelry", "Sterling Silver Jewelry", etc.

The Google Ads CPC for "Gold Jewelry" right now is $1.91/click. Under this new platform, I will be forced to bid on "Gold Jewelry", though I don't sell Gold Jewelry, and forced to pay the high CPC because there is no Max CPC control and no way to exclude the keyword.

My average sale is $25.00. My average click-to-sale conversion is 1.8%. Using those numbers, if I have to pay $1.91/click for the keyword "Gold Jewelry", I will pay $106.00 in marketing to sell a $25.00 item. (And I'm not going to convert at 1.8% on the keyword "Gold Jewelry" because I do not sell Gold Jewelry.) I stopped using Google Ads for a reason. For my market, there is no ROI. There is no cost control. I lose money. A lot of it.

On a related note, I am Google Adwords Certified, so I'm not your average seller that doesn't know the ins-and-out of Google.

I have tried 4 separate times to use the Google Shopping Ads within Etsy and all 4 times failed miserably. Why? Because there's no ability to control what keywords I'm marketing for, and no control on cost.

A Google Smart Campaign CAN be successful IF you have the ability to disable irrelevant keywords. This new Etsy Ads platform does not. You are forcing your sellers to waste their marketing budget on keywords for items they DO NOT SELL.

You want me to make money right? I make money = you make money. Fix this.

Either:
A) Give sellers the ability to choose a "Basic" Marketing strategy "i.e. Etsy Ads" or an Advanced campaign with the ability to have more control over CPC, enabling/disabling keywords, etc.
B) Give sellers the ability to choose which platform they want to market on. i.e.: Etsy, Google, or both
C) Give sellers the ability to set a Max CPC that applies to Etsy & Google both. (which can't be done with a Google Smart Campaign, would have to be a normal Google campaign)

You've taken away all marketing control from your sellers and are treating us like idiots. We're not all idiots. Some of us understand marketing and how to employ it properly. But this new Etsy Ads platform handicaps us to the point where there is no cost or keyword control and it will fail.

I have been very successful with Etsy Promoted listings. Why? Because I can control my cost and I can see what keywords people are finding me under and make adjustments if needed. On this new Etsy Ads platform, there's no useful analytics. I can't tell if a click came from Google or Etsy. Don't know where a sale comes from. Don't know how much of my daily budget is being spent where. Don't know what I'm spending in CPC in Etsy -vs- Google. Don't know if I'm profiting on Etsy Ads and losing money on Google. Can't change it if I am.

I have tracked all my analytics from Etsy Promoted Listings for the past 30 days (Impressions, Clicks, Sales, Daily Cost, CPC, Imp-Click Conversion, Click-Sale Conversion, Average Order)

I can tell you what's going to happen with Etsy Ads and being forced to use Google Ads with no control of cost or keywords:
• Impressions will go up (being found under lots more irrelevant and generic keywords)
• Clicks will go down (people are less likely to click on something that isn't what they're searching for.)
• Sales will go down (the more budget wasted, the less remains to focus on relevant keywords that turn into sales)
• CPC will go through the roof (Google average CPC is far higher than Etsy Promoted)
• Imp-Click Conversion will drop
• Click-Sale Conversion and Average Order should remain the same, but with less sales because a larger percentage of the daily budget is being wasted.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

If Etsy Ads performs the way I fully expect it to, I (along with thousands of other Esty sellers in the same boat) will have no choice but to turn off marketing completely and focus on other marketing channels outside of Etsy, or a different venue completely.

Easiest Solution: DO NOT FORCE YOUR CUSTOMERS TO USE GOOGLE WHEN THE ROI ISN'T THERE!!!!!!!!

95% of my shops sales come from Etsy Promoted Listings. All 4 times I've tried Google Ads, the Ads spent more money on marketing that I was actually making. Sometimes 200% more! I'd spend $50 to sell a $25 item. In Etsy Promoted Listings, I spend 50%. I spend $12.50 to sell a $25 item. I can live with that. My shop will not survive this switch to Etsy Ads if I have no cost control or ability to disable Google.

36 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.