People are seeing dashboard notifications & are reporting that they are getting messages when trying to adjust their Promoted Listings, so it looks like the day is finally here.

Here are the basic help files on Etsy Ads that I could find so far:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033701174-How-to-Set-Up-an-Etsy-Ads-Campaign
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033599154-How-to-Advertise-Your-Listings-with-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034223613-How-to-Review-the-Performance-of-Your-Etsy-Ads?segment=selling

It's going to take me a few minutes to go through everything, but it looks like you will be transitioned to them if you don't change your own PLs over within the next few days ("by September").

*****EDIT: this means that if you have a high daily maximum budget, Etsy may spend the entire excess on Google Ads without you knowing, if you are not checking your ads every hour. You can still edit your daily maximum at this time (I just did in my other shop)*****

Etsy first announced these during their 2nd quarter financial results call, which we analyzed here: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Pricing-and-Finance/Etsy-2nd-Quarter-2019-Financial-Results-Site-Sales-Up-21-4-to-1/m-p/127564451 

(post includes links to the announcements, the call transcript etc.)

ZoyaMakarova
Community Member

Re: Etsy Ads are rolling out

Jump to solution

@dorothydomingo, by advertising on Google Etsy attracts new buyers to its platform and by using our money instead of theirs to do so, they also increase their profit margins. 

7 Likes
ArtfulPixels
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy wants NEW buyers (and sellers) that they can market to. A new Etsy buyer will benefit *Etsy* no matter what shop they buy from — the sky's the limit. Etsy is wanting us to fund their marketing efforts for ETSY, not for our own shops. 

That is why it makes absolutely no sense for any seller here that has their own stand-alone website (or at least aspires to have one) to pay for Google Shopping ads to their Etsy shop. Send your customers to your own website, where they will be *your* customer. When a google shopping buyer buys on Etsy, they become Etsy's customer.

15 Likes
RarePaperDetective
Community Member

Jump to solution

I'm getting tired so maybe my thoughts are not accurate as they should be but maybe they are saving MORE of their money by NOT spending it on google advertising FOR us than they are going to lose on a significant reduction in their promoted listing income? 

3 Likes
RarePaperDetective
Community Member

Jump to solution

@ArtfulPixels That is basically why I never spent on pricey google ads on ETSY. Now, for my shopify store? That's a different story. Now etsy will get no money from me for advertising... I can't afford it.

3 Likes
dorothydomingo
Community Member

Jump to solution

So basically, Etsy is happy to take my advertising dollars, spend them on Google where if I'm lucky they actually promote MY items, but Etsy is totally okay if MY dollars go towards promoting one of my competitors. It's all the same to Etsy. And I will be charged exorbitant bids with zero control. Just trust them.

Problem is, if I see zero ROI then that gravy train goes right off the track. I end ALL my ads, and just like that, no more fun money for Etsy to spend supposedly on MY behalf but more likely on someone else's listings that they always tag on to those Google ads (another big reason to not use Google ads, yo).

And call me cynical, but how good can Etsy's new Etsy Ad algorithm be on determining timing, ad bids, and keywords when Search is already a hot mess? The search algorithm here can barely perform 4th grade math, but now we're being told that the new Etsy Ad's algorithm is gonna do AP Calculus.

15 Likes
mhuglife
Community Member

Jump to solution

I just opted in. I have no idea what the hell is going on with Etsy. 

1. no select / deselect button for the listings. if you don't want to advertise all, you need to click on ever single listing

2. no filter option for the stats - but it's already updated with former data from PL, I have no idea if the new ad is working (well) or not

3. not showing how much did they spend the exact day - whaaaaaat???? I have to pay but not showing how much????

4. only two options to check your stats: 30 days and 12 months - thank you so much...

5. none of the coloumns can be sorted - no idea what is happening with the ad. how many clicks? how many orders? how much was spent??

Seriously, ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

23 Likes
BlackberryDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

"This is the Outer Limits and we have taken control of your Television".  Welcome to the new world order.

4 Likes
Highlighted
mhuglife
Community Member

Jump to solution

okay, I found 2 new clicks. One for $0.90and one for $0.71. Thank you, I'm out.

24 Likes
RarePaperDetective
Community Member

Jump to solution

@mhuglife You gotta be kidding me!?!? $1.61 for 2 clicks!? Jeepers... I only budget $1.50 now but that gets me about 15 clicks....

Looks like ETSY is saving me a buck fifty each day because that is FLUSHING $45 a month away. I'll never get enough conversions with 2-3 clicks a day...

What a Steaming Pile!

17 Likes
ColorfulCastAndCrew
Community Member

Jump to solution

$1.61 for 2 clicks????!!!!!!  This is exactly what I was afraid of, guess l'll be shutting the ads off once they convert me over.  A steaming pile indeed RarePaperDetective!

6 Likes
mhuglife
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes, all the clicks are somewhere between $0.6-1. That's ridicilous. I set $20 because I was curious but do they really think that we are willing to pay $20 a day for 20-25 clicks?? I'm checking Google Analytics at the same time, my traffic is boooosted but I have no idea how much did they spend so far... As it is showing it only for the last 30 days...

3 Likes
CustomShowerCurtains
Community Member

Jump to solution

This is exactly what is going to happen - Google Ads are E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E and most of us found that out when Etsy offered $100 in credit to try Google Ads.  I took a poll 4 weeks ago to see who tried it:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Marketing-Your-Business/POLL-Did-you-try-Google-Shopping-Ads/m-p/12734...

Every seller (but one?) said they tried it, blew through the $100, with few or no sales, and then stopped it.

This is NOT going to be any different.  Google Ads has very low ROI for us small artisans, especially for high competition products.

17 Likes
SewSoDarling
Community Member

Jump to solution

yep... if i see that in my stats for even 1 day I will be done paying for ads. Its really a shame, PL's have been working really well for me, im very ticked about this

12 Likes
lulubugjewelry
Community Member

Jump to solution

Wow. Etsy is f******g high if they think we are going to pay for this. Adios, Etsy ads! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! 

16 Likes
MarshFineWoodworking
Community Member

Jump to solution

Google Ads simply don't work for my shop. I'm certified by Google, so I'm extremely familiar with the Google Ads platform. What Etsy uses in Google is Google's "Smart Ad". This means there is no CPC control, just daily budget. Then Google decides (you don't) what keywords it wants you to pay for and how much. 

Here lies the problem.

I sell WOODEN necklaces. I ran a separate Google Smart Ad campaign outside of Etsy to see what keywords Google automatically added in. In 5 days, the original 20 keywords I had put it, Google had increased to 800 keywords. Of them, 65% were for things I DID NOT OFFER. "Silver Jewelry, 14K Gold Necklace, Charm Bracelets, etc). This is why Google "Smart" campaigns don't work well for ETSY sellers. We are unique and for the most part make handcrafted items that are different that the normal stuff you find on Google. 

With the "Smart" campaign, Google sets your bid, you have no control. It bases it off what other competitors are selling. 

There's the 2nd problem.

It's advertising me for "14K Gold Necklace" (which I don't sell), and then forcing me to bid competitively against people who sell $2,000 14K Gold Necklaces. As one would expect, my Cost-Per-Click went through the roof because my competitors have much larger average sale amounts than I do. My average sale is around $25 per order. I can't compete with someone making $2,000 per order. But with the new Etsy Ads, I'm forced to, or not market at all.

I've had great success with Etsy PL. My shop has only been open for 3 months and I've made 100+ sales, 95% of them from PL. I fear all the profit I make in Etsy PL is now going to be wasted in Google Ads and I have no control other that to stop the marketing completely. Setting a "Daily Budget" to me just means "How much profit are you willing to let Etsy lose in Google per day?"

I really wish they would keep the ability to choose which platforms you want to market in. Etsy, Google, or Both. Being forced to either do both or no marketing at all I fear is a lose-lose situation and going to tank my profit. 

38 Likes
CustomShowerCurtains
Community Member

Jump to solution

THIS is why I think this is truly the end for a lot of us.  This change beats all the other ridiculous changes that have preceeded it because this ONE change, will COST us A LOT OF CHANGE!

And to hide this fact, the few who switched today and posted above, have stated that Etsy is NOT showing you how much you are spending on the Ads page (daily totals, or 30 days total, etc).  Instead, you will have to wait until the next day and look at your Payment Account charges to notice the total daily money trickling out....  am I correct in this assumption?

2 Likes
SmithFamilyDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

Same boat here.

My average sale is $20-$25 and also make wooden items.

I can't compete with things that come off a factory assembly line and sold at half my price. Advertising on Google puts you in the same searches. There simply isn't enough overhead for me to compete with that. 

I got off Google Ads for a reason, the ROI wasn't there. It was costing MUCH more for Google, and for far fewer sales.

And with the way Etsy favors certain shops in the search engine, the only way to be found is to advertise in promoted listings.. If that becomes too costly, I too will need to close shop and find somewhere else to sell.

2 Likes
dlcgems
Community Member

Jump to solution

100% agree. I do well with paid listings, I have grown my business tremendously with paid listings. But google ads have given me very little return and I choose not to spend my advertising dollars there. Now, Etsy ads will no longer give me a choice in the matter. I will be forced to spend advertising money on a platform that does not perform for me, and I no longer control the cost per click. This is a lose-lose situation. 

4 Likes
ZoyaMakarova
Community Member

Jump to solution

self deleted

2 Likes
BlackberryDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

They really need to stop that nonsense if they expect anyone to pay for google ads'.  They have been doing this for a few years now, and need to rethink this, but as others have said the bid rates are through the roof so I suspect paid ads will have a large downturn unless etsy can get them to perform.

4 Likes
BlackSheepDyeworks
Community Member

Jump to solution

I don't have the option for Etsy Ads yet (I intend to at least try them), and am still running PLs.  I noticed something rather alarming though - my PL impressions have now dropped to near zero, since 8 pm tonight.  I do not see any of my PLs in any of my popular search terms.  Completely gone.  So they are clearly affected by the changeover, for which I'm not eligible yet to participate.  Thanks Etsy.

3 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BlackSheepDyeworks   I am not running them in my other shop, but my ads are still showing. They did take a dip in the afternoon after this all rolled out, though, possibly because I dropped my daily budget from $10 to $5.

& I expect there will be a lot of fluctuation for the next month as things get fixed, people adjust their budgets etc. 

1 Like
JoyMerrymanStore
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CindyLouDoesStats   Mine also took a dip right when I lowered the daily budget. I lowered it to roughly double what is usually used thinking that would have less of an impact, but I guess not.  My impressions haven't fully recovered.

1 Like
BlackSheepDyeworks
Community Member

Jump to solution

@CindyLouDoesStats& @JoyMerrymanStore - I did not make any changes to my budget (it isn't super inflated to start with).  I guess I'm just really sensitive to the ads showing, because of the problem I'm having with my bestseller being excluded from my most popular search term.  I have a decent bid on that listing, so it will still show up on page one of that search.

That said, for about the past week, I've been hitting my PL budget many days around 11 pm.  In the past, I would only spend about 2/3 of it daily.  I figured it was due to Etsy rolling out changes ahead of Etsy Ads.  My click through rate has increased, but not my ROI.  I'm really close to my budget now, so maybe that's why they dropped dramatically at 8 pm?

2 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Jump to solution

@JoyMerrymanStore @BlackSheepDyeworks  the impressions on my top seller always go up at the end of the day as others max out their budgets, so they have gone up again, but it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

I've currently spent $2.42 today with zero sales from ads, but sometimes that happens. My daily budget used to be $10, & I have dropped it to $5. This month I upped some individual bids to see if that would help counter the free shipping placements, which it mostly hasn't, but I only went over $5 twice even with the daily budget at $10.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.