I am sure many are sick of reading/seeing questions regarding trademarks.

BoyMom LLC has a trademark on both "boymom" and "girlmom".
Awesome good for them.

I have a decal that says "boy momma <3" and "girl momma <3" and they have contacted me stating that their trademarks for "boymom" and "girlmom" covers the "momma" word as well.

How is this????

If that is the case would their trademark not cover mommy/ma/mama/madre/mother and any other word that means "mom"?
It makes NO sense to me.

They got a trademark for what they got a trademark for. They did not trademark "boymomma" or "boy momma".

Does anyone know if this is actually a legit infringement or them just harassing a small SAHM company in hopes that I will just bend over and take it?
OpticalPowerLTD
Community Member

Re: Trademark question - need help

What made you choose "BoyMamma" in the first place Tara?
0 Likes
PerfectlyUnperfectCo
Community Member

I used that because I could not use mom.
I have a list of decals to make and that I have been making that have mom, momma, mommy in them.
Mom's like decals to put on their vehicles,well actually on anything. So I have been searching for anything that does not have a trademark to make decals with.
If I get an idea I stick it in the trademark search and if nothing pops up I figured I was good.
0 Likes
LeMaisonBelle
Registered Member

@Tara - you have to search for similar words, too. So, if you want to use "boy mama", you would also search "boy mom", boy mother", etc. ...and misspellings, too.
0 Likes
TheStitchedCo
Registered Member

I know I'm late to the party, but here's what happened to me:

Around the same time this thread was posted, I was also contacted by Boymom for my Boy Momma shirt. They told me that I couldn't use any variation of that but they had no claim to "boy mama". So I changed the spelling from "momma" to "mama". Which, i agree, seems absolutely ridiculous because it is the same word! How is that not a variation of it? But anyways, had it changed for a couple of months with no problems at all.

Until today. I received a notice from etsy that one of my listings was violating a trademark of Boymom. So when I contacted them about it, I was told the policy has changed and now includes "boy mama" as well. I was also told, and I quote to "find my own brand and stop mooching ours".

This is the most ridiculous company and I will never ever refer anyone to them. Not to mention, their designs suck and they are way overpriced.
1 Like
danielle83184
Registered Member

OMG Tara i literally just got off the phone with "boy mom" lawyer. You sound EXACTLY like me. When i researched boy mama nothing came up its not the same words as BOY MOM. how do they get to say every single word thats similar is theirs. Makes absolutely no sense and annoys me so bad! I'm so frustrated.
0 Likes
mamanmunchkins
Registered Member

Wow, I am SO glad I am not the only one dealing with these people!
I started selling a boy mom shirt 7-8 months ago... they approached me almost immediately saying boy mom was trademarked... I apologized and they told me I was able to use 'boy mama', so I did just that. I have been selling it for months with their approval. Until today. They email me saying I must take down my listing (I don't use etsy) immediately as it is trademarked.
OR... wait for it........
I can pay 500$ USD a MONTH!!!!!!!! To keep selling my design.
Has anyone on this thread gotten any legal advice regarding this?!
The whole reason is to make sure no customer will get 'confused' between my product and theirs... and I can surely say with 100% certainty that no one is going to confuse my shirt with their shirts lol. It is such a joke. I'm at my wits end with these people!
0 Likes
AnniebelloPaper
Community Member

Do they have 'boy mum/mummy/mumma etc' TM'd as well? What about 'mother of boy'? Ridiculous and getting more so :(
0 Likes
PlumLoveCreations
Registered Member

Is there an update or any new advice or new keywords that are now allowed to be used? I got hit with the boymom crew today and kinda irritated and all the words they say are "similar"
0 Likes
LeggingsLAmore
Registered Member

What about "Little Guy Mom" "Little Gal Mom"....sorry...I just trademarked that, but I'll take royalties :)
0 Likes
PlumLoveCreations
Registered Member

Is that sarcasm?!
0 Likes
LeggingsLAmore
Registered Member

LOL yup. JKJK
0 Likes
Woodsparkle
Community Member

This kind of nonsense makes me want to climb a mountain and live off the land. The world has gone to S#**...
0 Likes
LeggingsLAmore
Registered Member

First, you'll need to get a permit to do that.
1 Like
Woodsparkle
Community Member

Just to get the tent, RED Tape Up the wazoo ! :)
0 Likes
OpticalPowerLTD
Community Member

The question has to be, is the term used because of the famous term? ie: is it used because the Trademarked item is popular?

For example "Cup Cozy" is that because a seller came up with a name or because a seller wanted to jump on the "Koozie" train?

If so, I wouldn't want to fight that in court
0 Likes
PlumLoveCreations
Registered Member

I made a shirt that said different things like and at the bottom it said #boymom. They said they boymom trademarked and I cannot use any form of anything similar to it. Even girl mom which to me is a stretch
0 Likes
RoosterBoutique
Community Member

I guess we are going to have to get ahead of the game and trademark basic words. I guess we can wait for months or even years and if a saying is still selling big we can trademark it and then it's all ours!! I was contacted today for a shirt with... If Papa can't fix it then no one can. His trademark is for "If Papa can't fit it". I've had this shirt in my shop for over a year and he just trademarked it.
0 Likes
TheEnglishIvy
Community Member

What is boymom anyway?
0 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Member

This is what I wanted to ask. What does it actually mean?
0 Likes
PlumLoveCreations
Registered Member

The company? I used the hashtag in my shirt with a cute phrase threat things boys like and at the bottom it said #boymom.
0 Likes
TheTopTees
Registered Member

I was contacted by this company as well....super annoying. All I want to do is make shirts and keep my customers happy! I have already been contacted by customers still wanting the shirt!
0 Likes
PlumLoveCreations
Registered Member

Mine had #boymom. I asked them specifically what they had trademarked and they said only boymom. I'm confused to as why they feel they can lay claim to boymomma etc and #boymom.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.