TilliesTreasury
Community Member

Etsy promoting Free Shipping on my customer's receipts? ARE YOU NUTS?

Now this really takes the cake. On the bottom of the customers receipts in their emails Etsy added:

"Free shipping? Ooh yeah!

How about a little something extra? Free shipping! Get it on your next order.

Shop now

Have questions?

Contact the seller or visit the help center

Find the things you love faster than ever before in the Etsy app!
Download now" 

My comments are these:

1. Not all shops can or want to do Free Shipping. I have items that costs $15 to $20 to ship and I have tried raising my prices to offer the free shipping and my sales took a dive so I changed it back where I charge shipping and I am selling items again. Your theory is not working. Then you put what I copied above on my customer's receipts? SHAME ON YOU!

2. We are NOT Amazon. We are unique individual shops. Let us run our shops as independent businesses like we used to be able to. We do not need to be dictated to as to how YOU think we should be running our shops. We are all different and we like to present our businesses in our own unique way. Also, most of the items my husband and I purchase on Amazon - we pay for the shipping if it's a product we like and want. We could care less if the item has free shipping or not.

3. What business is it of yours whether we offer free shipping or not. Why should you care? You say it increases business but I beg to differ. Maybe for smaller shops that have items that weighs less than a pound or so then, yes, they probably can afford free shipping but most of us can't. How can we get that across to you that it should be "our" decision and not yours? Why spend money on promoting free shipping when you should be spending money to help us succeed in other ways?

4. You should NOT be using my business page to promote other shops as though they should not be shopping with me by trying to redirect them to other shops. Sorry, but my shop page should be solely for my items and not for other shops.

The “Ads” at the bottom of the page when you pull up to view a shop item cuts into our shop page where other information related only to our shops to help us promote our own items are skewed because the ads takes up a large portion of the page. Information about our shops are cut off because of this, too.

Sure, they do that on Amazon but guess what, when I'm shopping on Amazon I ignore what they have on the bottom when they do that. I want to do my own Searches. I don't want them pushing what they "think" I should be looking at. The same with Etsy. Our customers should be allowed to do their own Searches and not be influenced into what you think they should be viewing. A lot of the items aren't even relevant!

5. PHONE APP - customers cannot view my Sales. I've made so I make mine public so they can customize their orders by viewing my previous handmade items or previous items sold so that they can tell me what they're looking for. The customers cannot find "Sales" from their phones without clicking on Desktop and many customers doesn't know that's how to view them so I have to go into details to explain how to view my Sales. That's extra work I don't need to be spending on when I could be photographing more items to sell or work on my own sales strategies. 

6. Customers aren’t able to read my “Profile”. Our Profiles or "About" is where we share personal stories about ourselves or why we’re doing business on Etsy. Customers have shared that reading “Profiles/About” helps make their decisions as to who they want to buy from. "Profiles/About" should be put under "Policies" if you don't want us to use that feature. 

7. Who cares what was "Recently Viewed"?

Who cares how many Faved our items?

Who cares when the item was listed? 

That information is irrelevant as far as my shop is concerned. I want my page back the way it used to be that showed information ONLY related to my shop.

Etsy once was for the customer and that is lost and gone. Etsy no longer works with shops to help them succeed. It’s all about money and the stockholders. It's no longer about the individual shops. Etsy thinks that making shops pay extra for Ads, promoting free shipping, charging us EXTRA fees on shipping (which has to be figured into our overhead), etc. helps our shops - it is actually does the opposite especially if you carry vintage items. Where did you learn business and why has Etsy lost its original mission - in helping little shops succeed and continue to be unique? It's as though Etsy has removed all individual identities. I have seen many, many shops leave Etsy and that's sad because those shops were dependent on the income they used to get when they were selling on Etsy.

Did you know that many shops opened because they lost their jobs, ended up with disabilities, medical, personal and family situations where  Etsy was a way for them to seek income to help support their families? Seeing those shops leave is so disheartening. I see more and more leaving daily. You claim business has increased but I'm also aware that figures can be fudged to make things look good.

Etsy, if you want Etsy to succeed then you need to start listening to the shops as to what "we" want and stop trying to run our businesses for us, stop those experiments that stops our customers from finding us or changing our pages that makes shopping more frustrating for the customer. I even lost a customer the other day because they said that my payment system wouldn't allow her transaction to go through so she purchased the item from another shop. Why did that happen? That has never happened in the 5 years or so I've been on Etsy - NEVER! So I had to cancel her purchase when it did go through. What experiment were you doing at the time that made her purchase fail on my shop?

When are you going to start listening to us? If you want to make changes why aren't you sending surveys out to all the shops to see what changes WE would like to have instead of just changing things then telling us that's how it's going to be for now. Shame on you!!! Etsy is NOT only about handmade items - it's about individual people who have individual interests and businesses. Let us be that way and put things back the way it used to be. Help us succeed instead of setting us up to fail and causing us extra work in running our businesses.   

75 Likes
38 Replies
howtobooksandmore
Community Member

Re: Etsy promoting Free Shipping on my customer's receipts? ARE YOU NUTS?

If you want independence, then start your own website with any and all the traffic directing support that needs.  This is what etsy is going to be from now all.  The only thing they respond to is something that increases or decreases sales.  If an idea increases sales, expect them to impose it or do anything it takes to make every shop go along with it.  If it decreases sales, they will back pedal real fast.  Not to say you don't have legitimate complaints but etsy isn't listening.  They are too busy running a business designed to make as much money as they can.

4 Likes
SeasonToSeasonDesign
Community Member

Nicely put, and valid points.  I have have been on Etsy since 2012, and was thrilled back then to have found a place specific to crafters to sell my my art. Etsy has become obsessed with shipping.  It started when they charged us shipping fees.  Now they are pushing the free shipping nonsense.  They are pushing quality of items sold over uniqueness or one of a kind.  People that come to this platform usually have the mind set of something specific they are looking for, and free shipping isn’t their first concern.  Have you ever heard anyone say they are going to go on Etsy and check out what’s for sale with free shipping? I have heard Shoppers looking for that special item are having a harder time finding what they want trying to dig through all the unrelated products thrown in the various categories. Pages and pages.  Who has time!  

I see you put a lot of time in your hand made items, and they are a labor of love based on your prices.  I have the same situation with my shop.  My sales have tanked more and more with each passing month. This has been a nice place for me to sell my hand made crafts and some vintage items, but without sales, the incentive to create has gone down the drain.  So after the new year I will make the decision to move on.  One nice thing is the resurgence of craft shows has hit our area big time, and that may be the light at the end of the tunnel for me.  I believe I read that Etsy didn’t fare so well their last quarterly report.  My my, wonder why!  Best of luck to you as you go forward.  

23 Likes
WoodenInnovations
Community Member

@SeasonToSeasonDesign  "Didn't fare so well" is putting it mildly. Etsy's stock is now back to where it was at the beginning of the year while the overall markets are at all time highs.

5 Likes
TilliesTreasury
Community Member

Because of my disabilities I'm not able to do local craft shows. Would love to but I'm pretty much homebound.

You're right about Shoppers having a harder time finding my items and going through pages of unrelated products and wrong categories, too. Frustrating for them - wonder how many give up and go elsewhere.  Anyways, thank you for responding. Good luck to all of you! 

6 Likes
WoodenInnovations
Community Member

Good post and some very valid points made. Only wish some decision makers would read what matters to the shop owners that make Etsy what it is before it gets worse.

12 Likes
HandmadeCollectionz
Community Member

@TilliesTreasury , you said: 

On the bottom of the customers receipts in their emails Etsy added:

"Free shipping? Ooh yeah!

How about a little something extra? Free shipping! Get it on your next order.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How do I see what is printed on the bottom of a receipt Etsy sends in email to my customers?  I have the box checked to send me copies of everything but have never received a copy of the receipt they receive.  Thanks. 

1 Like
TilliesTreasury
Community Member

I get an emailed copy of what the customer gets when I produce their shipping label on shipping notifications.

0 Likes
PillowDetails
Community Member

@TilliesTreasury  - right  - that's the shipping email.  In another thread, some have reported seeing this in the transaction email when they first purchase - as a Buyer, I assume.  Not sure if we can get copies of that one.

0 Likes
HandmadeCollectionz
Community Member

@TilliesTreasury wrote:

I get an emailed copy of what the customer gets when I produce their shipping label on shipping notifications.

My preferences are set to receive notifications in email but I only get a copy of the shipping notification that says "Congratulations on your Etsy sale of 1 item. Your order number is XXXX"  and then I get an email that says "Shipping Label Created for XXXX" and inside it says:  A USPS Shipping Label was created for your order # XXX. Your details are below."     

But nothing that says:  "Free shipping? Ooh yeah! How about a little something extra? Free shipping! Get it on your next order.  Shop now"

I guess I should count my blessings.  lol

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Community Member

Tillies Treasury, well put and I agree 100%.  I only wish Etsy would read some of these many posts detailing seller concerns instead of sweeping them all under the rug and pretending there's nothing wrong.

That reminds me of a joke my Russian history prof. once told us about the fall of Communism, (right before it happened ironically enough):

Stalin, Khrushchev and Brezhnev were riding on a train when it came to a sudden stop.  Stalin shouted, "shoot the engineer!"  Khrushchev said, "no, let's give him a second chance to get the train moving."  Brezhnev just laughed and said," you guys worry about nothing.  We'll just pull the shade and pretend the train's still moving."

Best wishes,

10 Likes
Woodsparkle
Community Member

They are trying so hard to make people want free shipping because they deem it important. That message is beyond cheesy, it makes my stomach turn.  Ooh yeah! 🤢

10 Likes
cityfreeglass
Community Member

And to think I was upset when Etsy asked people to make a paper airplane out of their receipt when they were done with it.

7 Likes
ThrowItForward
Community Member

I don't like the idea of Free Shipping being promoted on my customer receipts. 

My decision to not use free shipping benefits my customers.

If I increase my price by $12.00 to cover shipping got to far west or east in the US then those buying closer to me such as Chicago and Denver will pay $4.00 more for that item. Plus, it causes Vintage prices to be way out of whack so researching for correct amounts to charge for an item becomes extremely difficult.

USPS raise their prices EVERY year, like clock work, and I don't think it's fair to be forced to change our prices to create the illusion that we are offering something free when we will have to raise prices to cover it. 

Anyway, I wish our Etsy shop could be like our own website. 

If I spend my time promoting my items on social media, I certainly don't won't rows and rows of other options to show up on my shop page.

8 Likes
JDCreativeHands
Community Member

Actually I found it easy to offer free shipping to the west coast without adversely affecting any of my buyers.

I looked at what profit I needed and then decided on a range for that profit point.  That way I comfortably added a shipping cost that would allow me to easily send to buyers close to me and one further out without having to adversely add more shipping cost to cover the west coast.  It's worked out nicely.

You know I a fully aware as many other buyers are that shipping costs are contained someplace.  It's just that at time of purchase seeing that one price point makes it easier.

After all we pay shipping on items we buy in a brick and mortar store and think nothing of it.

1 Like
TheHomespunLoft
Community Member

@HandmadeCollectionz 

If you go into your "settings" and then go to "Info & appearance" You will find your note that is sent automatically when someone buys from you.. You can put a blurb in that to explain to customers your position.

and Make sure that you diversify and Etsy is not your only selling venue. When more things go sour here.. it won't matter as much with other venues on board.

2 Likes
MouseGarden
Community Member

Etsy can do whatever it likes, but I wish it would keep things clear.  If the receipt says free shipping on your next order, people will think it is this shop and it won't be.  They obviously want buyers to demand free shipping.  If I don't offer it, there are reasons for that.

Free shipping works best if you can combine items, and I think Etsy should have left it easier to stay in one shop because then you can do that, rather than doing everything they can to lure them elsewhere.

On losing a sale to a glitch:  last Christmas a customer who bought a large item from me didn't get the usual checkout completion page.  Instead she got a message saying the item was sold out (because she just bought it).  She thought that meant it really was sold out, and bought from another shop and I had to cancel her order and refund when she realized later that she really had bought the first one.  Etsy never even bothered to reply when I asked them about it, and I know it happened to other people too.

5 Likes
TilliesTreasury
Community Member

JDCreativeHands - I don't see where you have items that varies in weight anywhere from 5 to 15 lbs. and where package sizes could be 30 inch wide boxes, also, that would make a huge difference in shipping out items to the different regions in the US. Yes, if I were to carry only totes, sure, I could figure in shipping into my costs but, if you read, the different posts in the forum you will see that each shop is unique and different, carrying a variety of items where free shipping just doesn't work for many of us. Not putting you down but each shop is its own entity and business and not all businesses can be operated alike.

1 Like
FlamingoEmporium
Community Member

Etsy doesn’t give a _ _ _ _..

they will ruin a good thing. Well actually they almost have. 

somebody there needs to recognize this. 

keep out of MY Shop decisions Etsy. 

12 Likes
ScenicRiversNets
Community Member

Etsy, why don’t  you just send me a gun and I’ll shoot myself in the foot for you!

6 Likes
YorkModular
Community Member

Bit late for that.

They took aim at their feet and shot themselves in the head. Repeatedly.

7 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Community Member

York Modular, yep, and they're bleeding to death as we write.

Best wishes,

2 Likes
JDCreativeHands
Community Member

Such melodrama.   How familiar are you with the retail business?  

Etsy makes changes to meet their needs.  Ours is to work with those changes.  That is our obligation as a seller and what we agreed to when we opened a shop.

Etsy is doing quite well.  As for my shop, I withstood other changes well enough but not this time around.  It is, however, up to me to decide the course of action to take.  It is not Etsy's nor do I blame them.  I made the decision to have a shop here knowing full well that any change Etsy does could impact my shop negatively.  It has happened so now I am on the path to reinventing my shop.    

3 Likes
lulubugjewelry
Community Member

It's called gallows humor, and I find it very appropriate given what is going on around here lately.

5 Likes
DreamCatcherDen
Community Member

If that is the case I will have to remove all my supplies and lower priced items and sell them somewhere else. It will not work with these items. Etsy should explain to us how this is suppose to work. Is Etsy paying the shipping costs? Is Etsy going to start Prime like Amazon? What the heck.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.