Imprintjodie
Community Member

DRAMATIC DROP IN SALES..THREATENING LIVELIHOOD

Jump to solution

Hi.
I am so worried etsy has done something on this platform and completely jeopardised my life as SINGLE parent and SINGLE tax paying self employed citizen. I've been on here since 2010 and never dropped in sales like this. When I search on a phone and do anything but add an item straight to my basket I am directed to sign in or sign up to sell. This is wrong..I can't even look at the items in one shop..I am directed straight to a sign in screen.
What is going on?
I am so sad that you would do this to sellers who have built your empire.
Jodie Lagazon
Imprint by Jodie
Hibiscusdays Jewellery.

47 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Imprintjodie
Community Member

Re: DRAMATIC DROP IN SALES..THREATENING LIVELIHOOD

Jump to solution

@CraftyCornishMaids 

I find it HIGHLY suspicious that I can't reply directly to your messages on here. When every other users I can ..what's with that? 

0 Likes
160 Replies
maydaylabels
Community Member

Jump to solution

I wonder if you need to update your Etsy App?  I am completely guessing as I don't have a smartphone and only use the desktop version of Etsy (Web-based), but I know the App updates sometimes and this sounds like a bug within it.

I do certainly get sales and conversations daily from people who are using the app, so I'm sure some version of it is working.  Definitely I'd contact Etsy's tech support (not through this forum, they don't really monitor it) and see what they say.  

From the desktop web-based Etsy, I can look at your listings, navigate your sections, add an item to my cart, and initiate a conversation with you (although I didn't send it).

1 Like
Imprintjodie
Community Member

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I'm not using the app, it's just a straight search from google. It lets me click on an item but then when I click to see the sellers shop, I'm directed to a sign in or sell on etsy screen. If I was a buyer this would frustrate me so I think its a bad glitch. 

It seems fine on my desktop though..this doesn't happen at all while I search from desktop (not signed in). 

Jodie 

4 Likes
TheLastKult
Community Member

Jump to solution

When you're trying to access the site via mobile or tablet, it always prompts you to download the app. It's been like that for ages, and it's not a bug. Etsy wants browsers to become regular customers, so getting them to use the app is one way they do that. But I've always seen an option to continue to use the site without the app when the prompt appears (the regular version of the site is mobile responsive, so it is usable without the Buy on Etsy app) so you should still be able to search and whatnot. 

It's unlikely that's what's causing your drop in sales.

1 Like
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

Etsy is a business , and is doing what is best for Etsy,

If you depend on your craft for your livelihood, then relying a lot on 1 selling platform is a very high risk strategy,

Etsy is changing all the time, and every change will affect some shops well, and some badly

My sales fell off a cliff, 15 March last year, I took the time to set up on Amazon handmade, and it's the best decision I made, I only sell to UK there, and my sales are more than 3 times they are here. I put a lot of work in here, to increase my sales, but they have never recovered to previous levels here, but overall, my sales are way up month-on-month.

If you rely on this for your full time income, you have to DIVERSIFY, and not just platforms like AH, but more places

Treat your business as a business, just like Etsy does.

37 Likes
ThreeBredEwes
Community Member

Jump to solution

Good practical advice, thank you.

I am so curious about AH, but although was accepted as a seller there, I have never set up shop.

I like your straight forward approach!

5 Likes
Imprintjodie
Community Member

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I have my own website site and facebook and instagram. I will look in to Amazon..I'm not sure if you have 2-5 days for turnaround on there..I know shoppers like a next day delivery on there but it could still work for handmade to order. 

I would agree with you to an extent but I feel that Etsy's changes of free shipping/%off on top and the message system changes/stats changes they have rolled out at this busy time have something to do with it. Also I am perhaps more cynical when things like this happen. 

Etsy have suggested changing our photos to display multiple items of what we sell on our listings as these do well on instagram..so these are what show up on their first few pages when searched on etsy..as their team choose these. If that is not favouring certain shops I don't know what is. This started as a platform for handmade unique items..not what it reflects now. 

Jodie 

4 Likes
maydaylabels
Community Member

Jump to solution

they do not curate the search

1 Like
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Jump to solution

On AH you can put your production time for as long as you want, I have mine set to 2 days on some, and 3 days on others

2 Likes
SeasideRoseCreations
Community Member

Jump to solution

The Etsy social media team (that runs Instagram) suggested the multiple photos for INSTAGRAM, not Etsy.

The social media team made the suggestion for getting likes on Instagram.

That thread had nothing to do with Etsy search.

1 Like
Sofiasbijoux
Community Member

Jump to solution

I agree that you need to have more than one platform where you sell your items but this doesn't justify the drop in sales from March onwards. I used to sell really a lot here, now it is October and it is the worst month ever in the last 6 years. I am changing tags, adding new items daily but nothing works.

16 Likes
VintageTreatsGalore
Community Member

Jump to solution

About AH,  I've heard of this but when I Google AH I get all sorts of info except the AH site to sell and buy. Is there a full name I have to use?

1 Like
SignsByDiane
Community Member

Jump to solution

@VintgeTreatsGalore,

Try Googling Amazon Handmade.

2 Likes
BlaqKat
Community Member

Jump to solution

I'm exactly the same, I've had highs and lows on Etsy whenever they make changes, but in 8 years I've never had a month this bad and NEVER in October which is usually when I start getting more sales in the run-up to Xmas. 

5 Likes
GrantCityVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am 50 % down for October from last year. I depend upon the last 3 months of the year for the majority of my business since I sell a lot of Vintage Christmas Items. I have also been adding items and renewing daily this month. I started spending more time on Ebay selling and made twice as much there as Etsy for October. I did sell more high end items on Ebay since it has the bidding option and more rare items can bring more than you expect so bidding works better to sell them there. I am looking for other platforms to sell since I do not see Etsy coming back for Vintage Sellers. I feel like we get treated second rate here. I will probably hang around until after Christmas and than really look for other selling options besides here. I will not recommend this platform to any new Seller since so many seasoned Sellers are having lousy sales. I realize this is not everyone but many are especially those selling Vintage.

5 Likes
BloemLinen
Community Member

Jump to solution

Every situation is different because we all sell different things. Some do well here, some on AH, some through their own websites.

For the past 4 years I've been making and selling linen clothing. 
Through Etsy, 5 shops on AH (US, Canada, UK, Germany and France) and my own website.
It was a line going up fast and in 2018 I closed all shops except on Etsy because I couldn't handle the orders anymore.
I've been having a steady full income the past 3 years and even this last September I had a 2300 USD revenue on Etsy. (2100 euro, I'm in France)

Abruptly almost all sales stopped in October. From an average of 2 sales a day to 2 sales a week. No custom request, no messages, no activity whatsoever in my shop during my nights when the US is awake and usually 95% of my customers are from the US.

This total abrupt stop has nothing to do with SEO, with free shipping, with economy, with advertising...

There are many discussions in the forums about this problem. 
I've even been so naive to write Etsy a few days ago when I had a panic moment because I understand your situation @Imprintjodie although my kids have fur (but I have 9 and need to eat as well ;) )
But as expected, Etsy doesn't really read your message and the reply is a lot of pre-made text that is spit out by pushing a few buttons on a keyboard. In general they wrote that all is fine at the back-end and that my experience could be seasonal. 
Because after a total of 10 years selling online I didn't know that seasonal ups and downs occur and economy can cause temporary downs.

I've tried free shipping and didn't gain any new orders. I've been thinking of doing a drastic sale like 50% off, even if it's just for 24 hours, just to see what happens, if the problem lies with me. But I don't think it will help either. Something is wrong and it doesn't effect all of us but many sellers anyway. In another topic about this there was even a seller with 30.000 + sales having the same issue so it's not the small businesses. 
Also did I think it might be country related as I get no activity during the night but following the forums, that seems not to be the case either.

Keeping my fingers crossed this will be over soon. It happened also in October 2016, exact same thing, I had 3 weeks of no order whatsoever, in November all went back to normal.

36 Likes
MouseGarden
Community Member

Jump to solution

It's interesting you mention October 2016.  I remember that as a weird no traffic time too.  

6 Likes
MamaFeelsGood
Community Member

Jump to solution

My store is exactly the same.

I normally had at least 1/2 sales every day, very rarely went a day with none, so far this week I've sold 2 things and they were to return customers, had 5 days were not sold a thing.  Etsy is dead for me and it's been like a switch; I totally appreciate you need to be operating on multiple channels but in terms of Etsy as a selling module it's taken an abrupt and obvious nose dive for me. "Something" has happened and this is me compiling with the free shipping demand.

Frustrating beyond belief and scary, this time of year for me is when it gets super busy,  not on etsy 

9 Likes
lacroixdollon
Community Member

Jump to solution

I sell Antique and Vintage, and have only sold 2 items since March

6 Likes
papiergut
Community Member

Jump to solution

I´m located in germany and have the same problem! Doesn`t look like its a country based problem!

3 Likes
BoulevardVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

I totally agree with you. My sales dropped since end of August 2019. No orders anymore. What a disaster. Before the sales drop I had customers all over the world. I am located in The Netherlands and sell quality vintage items. I have no idea what is happening. I would like to know if Amazon Handmade is a good alternative for a Dutch shop? Perhaps somebody can share their experience. Ebay is not very popular over here. THXs!

4 Likes
lovedeanjax
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am in the same boat. I swear October 1st came (I remember because I was out of town and I was so frustrated the entire week) and nothing. It happened literally overnight. 

0 Likes
EvesLittleEarthlings
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have been here 10 years and read many threads with the same comments.  October can be a very bad month for sales.  My shop sales all but disappeared twice, both in October.  I used to have a full time busy shop here on etsy with over 120 items.  Over the last two years, I have cut back to around 30 items.  I got a part time job outside the home which is so much easier to manage than all the work that goes into etsy.

I am expecting to gradually fade away. Etsy is not for small makers anymore and it hasn't been for years.  I highly recommend any small maker keep diversified as far as sites and sales opportunities go.

3 Likes
RobertKlineArt
Community Member

Jump to solution

Jodie don't feel too bad I have been on Etsy since 2012 and eBay and Amazon for longer than that I see many sellers reporting the slowdown as Etsy moves to their "pay to be seen" platform. I'm feeling the slowdown as well and as I keep jumping through Etsy's numerous hoops nothing seems to help improve my sales. All I can says is use Etsy for what it has become another place to advertise YOUR website and YOUR products the bonus is you may make a sale once in awhile.

IMO once Etsy went "public" they sold their soul to wall street and became just another eBay or Amazon sellers are where Etsy derives it's revenue from and you can see the slow curve as Etsy heads away from "handmade" which was what made them different and cool.

Good luck everyone!

30 Likes
CrossCreekPokeweed
Community Member

Jump to solution

Wow...reading all of these comments did bring a sense of comfort as I, too, have been experiencing the same with sales dropping and at a rapid rate.  I've been selling since 2013 on Etsy (for 10 yrs as a power seller on Ebay prior to Etsy) and have not seen such a slow down.  I left Ebay because they began to increase what they collected on each sale and for all the new restrictions and changes that kept being introduced.  Now I see Etsy doing the very same thing, the worst is the "pay to be seen" as RobertKlineArt mentioned above.   I was doing really quite well but with each new change that Etsy brings I see a further reduction in my sales.   I have really enjoyed selling online (vintage, antique and handmade) and greatly appreciate my customer base but Etsy has done something to make it so much harder for those of us who started small and put the time in to grow something bigger and better.  All I ever see Etsy promote these days are the super large companies that put the big bucks into advertising....it is very off balance and disappointing.    It may be time to find another selling venue as I suspect that Etsy is going down the same road as Ebay.    

I will continue to try to do the very best I can but I am quite worried about the future and what Etsy can offer the smaller seller who appear to be left out in the cold.   Wishing everyone the best of luck as we move into the holiday season! 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.