JDStudios480
Inspiration Seeker

So frustrated with imports being sold on Etsy.

Jump to solution

Hi love handmade artisans. 
I just need a minute to vent. I’ve been an Etsy shop since 2018. I take great care in designing and making my goods. I’m sure you do too. ive recently noticed the pop up shops in the last 6 months taking advantage of selling masks on Etsy. I’m not against other masks sellers. The more wearers the merrier and safer we will be. WhT I am against is the imports being sold on Etsy. They even use the same listing photos from alibaba to list their mass produced masks. Etsy is not the place to sell this. It really makes me mad that they say proudly made in America and they are from China. Nothing against that either. Etsy is not the platform for imports. 
they don’t even silkscreen a design on them. cheaters and liars. 
Any suggestions? Please share your advice. 
thanks. 
judy. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: So frustrated with imports being sold on Etsy.

Jump to solution

I agree with you Judy.  Unfortunately, Etsy could care less.  They (Etsy) are all about money.  The truth of the matter is that all this fake handmade items, that are really mass produced in China, can be sold for cheaper than individually handmade items.  So, in theory, the cheaper the item, the more people will buy it - thus making more money for Etsy.  Etsy liberalized its definition of 'handmade', in order to allow this kind of thing to happen.  I don't know if there is really anything that we, the truly handmade item shop owners, can do about it.

View solution in original post

1 Like

Jump to solution

contact the etsy administration. They don't keep track of all the shops, so if you alert them, they will look into it.

View solution in original post

1 Like
4 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I agree with you Judy.  Unfortunately, Etsy could care less.  They (Etsy) are all about money.  The truth of the matter is that all this fake handmade items, that are really mass produced in China, can be sold for cheaper than individually handmade items.  So, in theory, the cheaper the item, the more people will buy it - thus making more money for Etsy.  Etsy liberalized its definition of 'handmade', in order to allow this kind of thing to happen.  I don't know if there is really anything that we, the truly handmade item shop owners, can do about it.

1 Like

Jump to solution

contact the etsy administration. They don't keep track of all the shops, so if you alert them, they will look into it.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@JdvintageCreations  I don't know about Etsy tracking or even caring about non-handmade being listed as handmade. I legit hand make doll clothes and also carry manufactured doll shoes which I clearly describe as a "supply" and describe as manufactured in the description, but there is a (actually lots more than one) shop on here that lists all manufactured doll clothes & accessories as handmade. Which obviously she can sell for much cheaper than truly handmade clothing. I clicked the report button on this one shop and even gave Etsy the website of her supplier, they have done nothing so why should I bother taking my time to help clean up Etsy Handmade when they don't appear to care. I have no problem with sellers listing items non-handmade in the right category, I wouldn't even mind if Etsy created another category (or site) for reselling of manufactured items but I really think that the "Handmade" category should be protected. Just my 2 cents. 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I wholeheartedly agree.  Etsy could care less.  They are in it for the MONEY only, and nothing else.  They have no correct, decent, or proper way to contact them (email addresses of people in authority, and/or telephone numbres).  The crappy methods they do provide are absolutely useless.  I have tried them many times and have never received any response from Etsy.  It is too bad that there is not another platform (similar ti Etsy) available for just truly handmade items.  If there was, I would leave Etsy in a heartbeat. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.