StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Hello! New Business Owner Here

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to be here! This is my first Etsy team. I recently opened my store :) I make baby blankets, burp cloths, adult blankets and more! I made my first sale at the beginning of the month. Currently, I'm learning how to market my store and items using Etsy. Any tips and suggestions are welcome! 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchedByWeezie

Thanks!
Maria

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NobbyandNice
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Hello! New Business Owner Here

Jump to solution

Hi there! The most important thing is good seo (search enging optimization), without it, buyers won't even get to see your shop.

This is Linda from Sparkling Vinyl.  I have noticed a common thread of reasons why some stores have low sales so I thought I would just write about mostly what I see based on all the mistakes I made when I was new to Etsy, and believe me, I made them all!

#1. Not knowing your audience.  In other words, not knowing who it is you are selling to and why they would purchase your product over another store.  Also, not researching if buyers are even searching for your item.  I see many stores put up a combination of items that have no common theme or relevance to each other.  Which brings me to ……

#2. Buyers land on your page and they don’t know what your store is about.  For example, you love to make stuff, so you post a baby product, and then a fancy bracelet, a painting of some sort, you get what I mean.  All these customers are looking for different things and the person typing in the search bar looking for a baby product is expecting to find lots of baby items to choose from and instead sees an array of items that don’t relate to each other.  Sometimes the banner is also confusing.  If you are selling baby products, then your banner shouldn’t have a scary dragon on it.  Well I’m just using examples, but you get what I’m saying.

#3. Bad SEO!!!!  This is the worst one of all.  I see sellers naming their bracelets in the description area something like “purple twilight heavenly dream”.  Well people don’t search for bracelets that way.  If they want a purple bracelet they will type in “purple bracelet”.  Save the cute names for your description area or your shop updates.  Also, bad tags, I see one-word tags with broad highly competitive terms that a new store cannot rank for.  Such as gift, bracelet, t shirt, soap – these types of words are too broad, and you need to narrow your terms down to your niche.  You need to use a keyword tool that shows what Etsy buyers are looking for and what best describes your item.  You should be using an “anchor keyword” on your items that are similar. And you need to be using all 13 tags!

The first part of your description should match the first part of your tags.  I use Youtube coaches to learn Etsy SEO.  I use the keyword tools Marmalead and Erank.  There are lots of Youtube videos to learn how to use these tools.  If you look at Etsy’s handbook for SEO, they tell you there what their best practices are.

#4. Bad pictures – Dark backgrounds, dark pictures, blurry pictures!  Pictures are everything on Etsy.  The buyers can’t touch your product and a bad picture will cause no one to click on it which in turn will drop it in the rankings.  Etsy likes light backgrounds because they have done the research and those pictures have a better click through rate which means better sales.

#5. Not enough items.  Yes there are stores that don’t have a lot of items that have a lot of sales but if your competitors that have tons of sales have 200 items on their store and you have 15, who do you think is coming up in search, just based on math alone? 

Okay, there are more things, but these are the most common ones I see that can take down your shop before you even start.  I hope this was helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies

Jump to solution

Congratulations and welcome!! I am sending you hearts to your shop!

1 Like
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Congratulations on making your first sale.  Exciting isn't it?  

I suggest you try to use all ten photo slots.

My sales increased when I hit 40 items in inventory.  Just adding them slowly over time is fine and shows Etsy you are working on your store.  The activity is good.  

use eRank free tool to check your listings it's under integrations tab.

Good luck.

2 Likes
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the tips! I read somewhere else that having 50-100 items listed is helpful to getting noticed but I wasn't sure if that's true/correct. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Good luck and hello!

1 Like
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you! 

0 Likes
NobbyandNice
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Hi there! The most important thing is good seo (search enging optimization), without it, buyers won't even get to see your shop.

This is Linda from Sparkling Vinyl.  I have noticed a common thread of reasons why some stores have low sales so I thought I would just write about mostly what I see based on all the mistakes I made when I was new to Etsy, and believe me, I made them all!

#1. Not knowing your audience.  In other words, not knowing who it is you are selling to and why they would purchase your product over another store.  Also, not researching if buyers are even searching for your item.  I see many stores put up a combination of items that have no common theme or relevance to each other.  Which brings me to ……

#2. Buyers land on your page and they don’t know what your store is about.  For example, you love to make stuff, so you post a baby product, and then a fancy bracelet, a painting of some sort, you get what I mean.  All these customers are looking for different things and the person typing in the search bar looking for a baby product is expecting to find lots of baby items to choose from and instead sees an array of items that don’t relate to each other.  Sometimes the banner is also confusing.  If you are selling baby products, then your banner shouldn’t have a scary dragon on it.  Well I’m just using examples, but you get what I’m saying.

#3. Bad SEO!!!!  This is the worst one of all.  I see sellers naming their bracelets in the description area something like “purple twilight heavenly dream”.  Well people don’t search for bracelets that way.  If they want a purple bracelet they will type in “purple bracelet”.  Save the cute names for your description area or your shop updates.  Also, bad tags, I see one-word tags with broad highly competitive terms that a new store cannot rank for.  Such as gift, bracelet, t shirt, soap – these types of words are too broad, and you need to narrow your terms down to your niche.  You need to use a keyword tool that shows what Etsy buyers are looking for and what best describes your item.  You should be using an “anchor keyword” on your items that are similar. And you need to be using all 13 tags!

The first part of your description should match the first part of your tags.  I use Youtube coaches to learn Etsy SEO.  I use the keyword tools Marmalead and Erank.  There are lots of Youtube videos to learn how to use these tools.  If you look at Etsy’s handbook for SEO, they tell you there what their best practices are.

#4. Bad pictures – Dark backgrounds, dark pictures, blurry pictures!  Pictures are everything on Etsy.  The buyers can’t touch your product and a bad picture will cause no one to click on it which in turn will drop it in the rankings.  Etsy likes light backgrounds because they have done the research and those pictures have a better click through rate which means better sales.

#5. Not enough items.  Yes there are stores that don’t have a lot of items that have a lot of sales but if your competitors that have tons of sales have 200 items on their store and you have 15, who do you think is coming up in search, just based on math alone? 

Okay, there are more things, but these are the most common ones I see that can take down your shop before you even start.  I hope this was helpful.

0 Likes
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, Linda! I certainly have a lot to learn! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

thanks for info

0 Likes
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for all that information.  It was very informative.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Welcome and good luck!

Erank was also very helpful and educational for me!

I have only been selling on Etsy for a few months now and am still learning every day!

1 Like

Jump to solution

I clicked on your link, but then I get an error. I think you should remove "your" from your link. I always type;

www.etsy.com/shop/HappyTwiddle for my shop.

For you it should then be as follows; www.etsy.com/shop/StitchedByWeezie

@StitchedByWeezie  schreef:

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to be here! This is my first Etsy team. I recently opened my store :) I make baby blankets, burp cloths, adult blankets and more! I made my first sale at the beginning of the month. Currently, I'm learning how to market my store and items using Etsy. Any tips and suggestions are welcome! 

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/StitchedByWeezie

Thanks!
Maria

1 Like
StitchedByWeezie
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Sorry about that! 

0 Likes
NobbyandNice
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

You are very welcome : )

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.