Former_Member
Not applicable

Suggestions Wanted: Getting Started with Laser Cutting

Hi all, I have a jewelry shop selling state necklaces that I cut out by hand from sheets of sterling silver and jeweler's brass. I'm very interested in learning how to fabricate my pendants using a metal laser cutter. I've done some preliminary research but thought I could benefit from the expertise in this group. I know nothing about actually designing and using a laser cutter. How would you all suggest I go about getting this education? I'm located in Denver and so far haven't been able to find any classes available to the public. Any resources or ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance - Jodie
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Re: Suggestions Wanted: Getting Started with Laser Cutting

If there are no classes in your area, perhaps you could either look online (there are for instance several large and active Facebook groups for laser cutting) or you could try a laser shop in your area. They will probably be happy to let you know how to go about making your design (and they will then take care of the more technical details regarding laser cutting).

Best of luck with your project!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Stephanie, is there a particular facebook group you would recommend?
0 Likes

Hi Jodie,

Cutting silver with a metal cutting laser is indeed possible (I do it daily) however it requires a Yag or Fibre Laser and not one of the cheaper CO2 lasers such as come out of China or companies like Trotec,Uls or Epilog.
You will need somewhere about 500 watts as a decent start point to cut cleanly however you can go down as low as 100 watts and still get passable results.
In my spare time I run a forum for laser cutting for people to learn and post about any problems. (it's totally free,there are no adverts or spammy rubbish on there) if you want to message me direct I'm happy to give you the url?

best wishes

Dave
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.