Former_Member
I have just finished reading several old forum posts on this subject but none of them were specific as to the protocol on this...

1)Do I have to state on each item that it may contain lead known to the state of California? Or can I just state it in my "Policies" section?

2)Am I allowed to sell these jewelry items containing lead to residents of California?

Thanks!

Mandy

Re: lead in jewelry

well I have a question in reguards to this?/
I am in Michigan , I use Sw Crystals in a lot of things, how do I know if sometone from California will buy them?
Do I just put it in my policy and what would I say?
Interesting/
I do not and will not sell to or for children under 12 either.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Oh jewelrydesignsbyME I just re read your post....to ay to put it inyour policy about not shipping to Ca...
Is this all we hve to do?
Why I wonder would these companies still make the swar crystals as one state will probably follow another/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The Swarovski crystal website has said that the lead content in their crystals is in the internal structure of the crystals and even with acid leech testing, the lead remained in the crystal. They assert that there is no danger at all, even if the crystals were placed in the mouth.

I think there is more danger of choking on a crystal than getting lead poison from one.

Am I correct in my understanding that relying upon suppliers' assurances of lead-free is not sufficient? I asked Fire Mountain Gems and they said they sell no product that does not comply with CA state standards.

I need to ask my other favorite supplier and see what they say. I'm going to save the emails I get from them.
0 Likes

Ok so does this mean that we can sell swarovski crystals and pearls to Ca then without a problem as I am waiting for an email from FM also.
So confusing.....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marking for future reading!
Thanks everyone for your input...;)

I put this up in my shop:
My Jewelry is NOT for children under 14yrs old.
My Jewelry is NOT tested for safety or toxins.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

CA allows you to sell swarovskis to adults only. For children's jewelry the crystal content must be less than 1 gram or limited to 1 gram (I think). One of the links these lovely people provided has a chart that tells the allowed products. Crystals are in there, as well as the amount of crystals allowed.

I put on all my jewelry that it is intended for adult use only, poses a choking hazard, and contains leaded Swarovski crystals. I think that covers all my bases. (I hope) :D I don't really see children wearing my things.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jewelrydesigner says:
Ok so does this mean that we can sell swarovski crystals and pearls to Ca then without a problem as I am waiting for an email from FM also.
So confusing.....
Yes you can sell jewelry and other items that contain any amount of Swarovski or other crystals to adults in CA, but there is some sort of formated warning that you need to include that that basically tells the customer that there MAY be lead present in some form or another. I think it also has to be posted in either your store policies or on each individual listing, or possibly both places.
As for items with crystals for children the CPSIA being a Federal Law trumps whatever the CA legislation passed in 2007 about weight allowances. So where CA allowed for items with upto 1 gram of crystals to be used on a child 6 and younger's finished retail products, the CPSIA does not and they define a child as some one under the age of 13.

===================================================================

ElderArc says:...
Am I correct in my understanding that relying upon suppliers' assurances of lead-free is not sufficient? I asked Fire Mountain Gems and they said they sell no product that does not comply with CA state standards.
For the CPSIA we can not. A this point there is NO component testing allowed and jewelry as a product class was excluded from the stay of testing. So if your going to make jewelry sized for or market to for the 12 & under set, even if it's an adult doing the purchasing, then you need to go through the government approved 3rd party testing labs using the test criteria that the CPSIA set up before listing the item. Unfortunately the CPSIA is not using a leeching solution test that CA allows, the CPSIA's approved test method aims for total destruction of all other compounds in a finished product except for the lead. In this testing method even the chemical bonds in the crystal matrix that keeps the lead suspended are broken down rendering the PbO (lead oxide) down to just the lead.
As of yet I have not found a single bead or finding wholeseller that will even tell me if their items could pass the CPSIA testing. They rather just state that their products are not meant to be used by children or to be used in a finished product that will be used by children.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for the info! :D It is very much appreciated.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

This is so confusing... I email FM to see what their take is on this matter.
Can anyone just be brief and to the point? I get lost in all this muddle/

thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here's FMG's, R-N-T's, & Monsterslayer's opinions on the use of their wares for children's jewelry. None really have a clear disclaimer other than listing the CA lead class level about the making jewelry from their raw materials being sold to customers in CA.

As for what the supply sellers are saying on a description page for an item maybe one thing but on another policy page they warn you away from using their materials on a child's product. Actual if you read some of the disclaimers from some of the more popular jewelry supplier's you can see that they are covering their @$$ pretty well by stating that none of there supplies are suitable for children's jewelry due to the CPSIA.

Fire Mountain's disclaimer on their supplies :
"Please note that none of our products are intended for children's jewelry designs or for use by children." from near bottom of page at http://www.firemountaingems.com/customerservice/csdocs.asp?docid=CSTMRSRVCLEAD

Ring's N Thing's disclaimer on their supplies :
"Our products are not intended for children's jewelry, or for use by children under age 13. " from near bottom of page at http://www.rings-things.com/index.html

Mosnsterslayer's view on children's jewelry:
"Are items on this site suitable for children's jewelry?
The products on this website are not designed for or intended to be used by children 12 years of age or younger. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) sets limits of, and testing requirements for lead in children’s metal jewelry. We have not attempted to test the products on this website for conformance to CPSIA standards. If you manufacture jewelry for children, you are responsible for testing that jewelry for lead and maintaining compliance with the CPSIA. " from near bottom of page at http://www.monsterslayer.com/InfoPages/faq.aspx

And remember their are no exclusions, other than exempt materials, on testing if you are making children's jewelry. Either use 100% exempt material or get your stuff to a lab for testing!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.