Yes or No, please help...

Cotton and Linen Embroidery Thread?

Exposed Elastic?

Polyester sewing thread?

Cotton sewing thread?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
18 Replies

Re: Yes or No, please help...

Oh, and thanks in advance! I did a search and only found part of what I was looking for. These are my remaining questions. :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cotton and Linen Embroidery Thread?
- Exempt as long as there are nothing "metalic" looking in the thread

Exposed Elastic?
- Not explicitly exempt, though some do argue that this is a type of fabric. Best bet to get a hard copr of any test results from a manufacture of this componant for your records or devise a means to completely cover the elastic in the fabric of your designs.

Polyester sewing thread?
- Exempt as long as there are nothing "metalic" looking in the thread.

Cotton sewing thread?
- Exempt as long as there are nothing "metalic" looking in the thread.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

And if I am not incorrect..Not for kids under 13 exempt

from what I have read that as long as your items are not intended or look like they are intended for children under 13 they are exempt
0 Likes

Thanks! I was asking because my niece is going to elementary school tomorrow with a hair accessory I made her and she said will tell everyone that Auntie Caroline made it.
:-D

Just wondering if my components pass as official business. :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

sorry I can't come up with something better than 'aaak', but this extends to hair accessory's also? I know, I know, I have a lot of catching up to do in this category. I have made things for my daughter to wear in her hair for years.... was thinking of listing some of these designs on Etsy.. sigh.. maybe not.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It applies to EVERYTHING intended for children under 12/13
0 Likes

ok I got it , I was sort of lostg for a second, I see your asking for children.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, it not only applies to clothes, hair accessories, toys, but also to items used to decorate their rooms and other childcare items.
0 Likes

Perhaps it will depend on what the elastic is made of. I'm looking at some packages of elastic I have. Nylon elaseic thread okay to use. Another one is 87% polyester 13% rubber, but the rubber is totally covered by polyester. I would say okay, even if rubber is not because there is no rubber that can be touched. Another is sport elastic 65% polyester and 35% rubber, but again the rubber is not accessable. So I would not really worry about it. I can't imagine that elastic in itself could possible contain lead.
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

"Rubber" is in the exempt list (way down there, somewhere in the expanded version with comments), so polyester/rubber elastic should be fine. I'll see if I can fine the source of the info...
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

Source: http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr09/leaddeterminationsfinalrule-draft.pdf (which is the Lead Contents Limit, Final Rule. August 2009)

pg 30 Section 13 "Fabrics, Dyes and Similar Materials"
At the end of subsection a on page 33, rubber and spandex are specifically included in the exempt list for lead content testing.
0 Likes

There you go.... Thanks for catching that... Now we can put elastic in the waist band of all our 12 year old boy's pants. Can't let them use zippers ya know!!!..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

LOL! I keep imaging all these little children, playing with plain wood blocks, wearing tops with fabric ties and elasticized pants pulled up above their waists. I think the only people who can comply with CSPIA are the Amish.
0 Likes

lol! Can you see it now, the right of passage on becomming a teenager, not going on a date, kissing a girl, driving a car. But......zipper fly pants!!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

And shirts with buttons!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have a large box full of thread and I have had a lot of it given to me. I know this can't possibly have lead in it i think the government is getting a little out of hand on these things. Even serger thread I bought last year that I have not used much does not have lead in it. another thing just how can elastic get lead in it unless it was put in something with lead dust.
Does anyone see what I mean? The thread sold in th stores we buy it from have been informed about these laws how are they complying? Most of the people that come in to my shop don't even know what I am talking about when I mention it.
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

lindaandcompany, thread (nonmetallic) is on the exempt list, so those products are fine to use for children. And so is elastic (see my prior post).

Thread in the stores is not a "kid-specific" product, as it can be used by/for everyone. Therefore, even if it were not exempt, the manufacturers would not be required to test it for lead and the store does not have any responsibility. IF it were not exempt and you used it for 12-and-under products, then you would be responsible for making sure it was compliant.

But it is exempt, so you can relax.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the info!!!! Anything to stress the working people like us out. The government does not care......
Just to mention here there is so much stuff made in China people need to look for made in the USA before they buy.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.