Former_Member
Not applicable

What's the rules? Swarovski crystals

I bought swarovski crystal cube mini charms to put on my doggie collars and such. My sculptures are already not recommended for children. Display only. And I hand write in all this on hand made cards in pen so it can't be easily rubbed off. I also know that the crystals contain trace amounts of lead. My sculptures can end up in the hands of children I know. But can I just write that the crystals may contain lead? should I give my customers a choice of the crystals or something else? Do I need a fabric tag containing this info. They're really pretty and I want to use them but I don't want to make anyone sick. These are brand new btw not vintage

Thanks
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
30 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What's the rules? Swarovski crystals

Anyone?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm not sure if you can get sick from swarovski crystals, but ALL crystal has lead.

In order for it to be considered crystal it has to have at least 4% lead oxide. Swarovski crystal is higher quality so it has 30% lead oxide.

So I would certainly check to see, but honestly, I'm not sure. I would like to say no though..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just found this article you might be interested in :)

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/9500.html
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My crystals are "Jolee's" dangle pendents. Tiny cubes, about the size of the smallest ABC bead cubes you can buy and they each contain 4 crystals. It doesn't say anything except that CA recognizes Austrian swarovski's as potentially dangerous and we are required to warn residents of it's content, which is fine. And I think I will give my buyers a choice. I will put a disclaimer on my listings and recommend those with children under 14 go with lead free. But what I can't find is do I have to fix a warning label to the doll itself that it has a lead containing element on it or not and would you recommend I do that anyway. It's no biggie if I have to really.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for the article It did help a little
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Actually besides the CPSIA there are individual state laws that require you to put warnings on any product that contains any number of elements or compounds that the particular state considers toxic or harmful.
Most notable is California Prop 65, http://ag.ca.gov/prop65/regs.php & http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html . Even if you are only shipping items direct to a customer there your supposed to make sure that you have the correct warning labels and/or testing certificates included with the item. I believe Illinois passed a similar law last year, but there hasn't been as much talk about the specifics of that one that I've read online. Also other states like New York and Minnesota have been looking over the CA lead laws to see if something like it should be enacted in their state.
0 Likes

JUst looked at your needlefelted dogs. Pretty darn amazing!!! Look like the real thing! Wowza! And they don't need to be fed and taken for walkies!!!

Don't just put on a card that they are not for children. State it in you listing. "This are not toys and are not for children. These are collector items." Do not use the words, children, kids, toys, dolls, or anything that would come up in a search for children.

If you don't want to sell to Cal because of their laws, say so, they are getting so screwed up, they will be without lights and water before too long. Ill is close behind. And I'm a Calif native who's family arrived there in 1918, and I fled there in 1993 because of there insane business atmosphere, which was putting people out of business.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I will have to see if I can find it... but someone contacted Swarovski themselves and asked this question.

They said because of the heat, and seals and basically the way the crystals are made the lead is actually enclosed/sealed in. It does not rub off, and can't rub off... and according to the company themselves it does not pose any lead danger. I am not using their exact terms obviously, but if I can find that response for you I will.

But basically (oh I remember) the lead is immobilized by the process used to create their crystals. Since the lead can't move, or leak... and isn't on the surface where a person would make contact with it... it poses no harm/threat
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

galla15, unfortunately all of these laws, the CPSIA -Prop 65 - the IL lead in products, have one thing in common : It doesn't matter if the lead is inert or bound at a molecular level making it harmless to the human body if lead is one of the ingredients that went into the making the item or one of the components used on the product then in needs testing info &/or a warning on the product under those laws. So even if there are mountains (and there is) of scientific proof that Swarovski crystal will not cause harm to a person even if swallowed under the state issued laws if you sell an item to a customer that lives in that states with lead laws you still need to follow their warning label regulations or face possible consequences that would be more than a slap on the wrist but less than a federal charge. Or in the case of the CPSIA, a federal law, anyone that makes or modifies or markets a childs product without testing or copies of the proper certificates to to insure that the lead level is under the current allowable level can face very heavy fines and jail time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

WOW!! GOOD TO KNOW

There are a LOT of people who make Swarovski jewelry for kids!! Especially on here, I wonder if they know.

I am actually surprised by the amount of people asking for me to make custom pieces for kids.. especially when it is more expensive.. and they want it say for a 5 year old!!

Seriously worried for a lot of people that are selling it to kids right now :(

THANKS for your help
0 Likes

marking
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah I do have a warning in my shop announcement about them being display only. I don't make these for kids at all, but they can be plucked off a shelf.

Now I read a statment from Swarovski that they are trying to get their crystals on the exempt list because the matrix of the crystal keeps the lead at the center and they have done tests with their large crystals like 1" and bigger, crushed them and put them with acid to have maximum lead output and those tests came back as still being under the, it's either 40ppm or 600ppm I can't remember. They also said that through their testing their crystals pose no threat to human health either hand to mouth or complete ingestion. My pendents are 4 4mm crystals

I agree with putting a warning on each listing though. Some people may not read the shop announcements.

I will definitely give my customers a choice to pick crystal or bead, I will warn of lead and I will put warnings on listings and in packaging. I may even get a little fabric tag to put on the ones that do go with the crystals.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone and your help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

galla15
galla15 says:
WOW!! GOOD TO KNOW

There are a LOT of people who make Swarovski jewelry for kids!! Especially on here, I wonder if they know.

I am actually surprised by the amount of people asking for me to make custom pieces for kids.. especially when it is more expensive.. and they want it say for a 5 year old!!

Seriously worried for a lot of people that are selling it to kids right now :(

THANKS for your help
---------------
Most of them know and choose to ignore it. You know they know because in their policies sections in huge capital letters they say a warning to that effect and then state that the buyer will not hold them responsible.

This is absolutely ridiculous LOL you can not make something in a child's/infants size that you clearly know and acknowledge is illegal to make then market it to a child or infant (ie baby bracelet in title and tags) and then think a warning like this is going to protect you...it is not lol

This is of course different from folks who are truely not making for children and say "product not intended for children under 13 ..."

I can't tell you how many people I've turned away saying "sorry i can't make you a 3 1/2inch swarovski bracelet for your infant" LOL but I am quite sure they find someone on Etsy willing to take on that kind of liability lol
0 Likes

following
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

very interesting...marking
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Most of my items have Swarovski Crystals on them and I send a label saying not for children under 14 years of age,also see http://www.i-kandi.com/CPSIA-Crystal-Lead-Statement.htm
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

marking
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have nothing useful to say except what ever happened to common sense in this world? For heavens sake. At this rate we'll have to put warnings on zips - 'do not swallow could cause internal damage', buttons - do not poke in eyes could cause blindness, all jewellery, could choke, strangle, scratch. If I bought a rolex watch and pulled the strap too tight, it could cut off the circulation in my hand and that could go gangrenous - did they think of that?
It just stuns me.
0 Likes

Well somthingxtraspecial, soooo soo many think that they are not responsible for themselves, and blame "big evil business" for everything, and the FED who loves them so much (NOT) will fix everything that they should perhaps be saying no to. So they rail on China (who darn near owns this country) GE, Goldman Sachs, and a slew of other gigantimous corporations who take bailouts and you and I are responsible for paying back, but are in the back pockets and financing of the projects of Al Gore, Obama, George Soros, SEIU, the Chicago Carbon Exchange, Ayres, and a ton of other radicals that only want to stifle small business and make us beholden to the Gov for everyday life.
This law does very little if nada to make anything really safer for children. The only thought by Henry Waxman was "let's do what we can to put the fear of gov into people and they will come running to us for their everyday needs". I Abhor this progressive administration and will do my best to abide by the laws, but will not believe that what they are doing is in anyway "saving the children" from a damn thing, as long as the majority of our goods come from the down right evil China that wishes us no good.

My rant is over for the time being. But this is an evil law, written only for one purpose. To Strangle Small Business, and put fear in the people.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

woh Faye! - impressive response - very eloquent!
0 Likes

I state the following in my POLICY section to handle this:

Swarovski crystal is an Austrian lead crystal which usually contains about 32% lead. Is this a health hazard? Not likely unless the crystal is ingested. General handling and skin contact is not thought to pose any significant health hazard because of the special manufacturing process which reduces the ability of transferring lead from the crystal to skin surfaces. This is different from non-plated metals containing lead that are more easily transferable to skin surfaces. Having said this, lead containing products are not suitable for children.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

DJA - I presume by you putting that here you don't mind if others use this? I have no inkling of anything like this in UK but I do sell to US so wonder whether I should be putting this on mine. I only use sterling silver,but sometimes use swarovski crystals. Would never imagine anyone buying my stuff for kids (and what constitutes kids?? what age does this worrying have to stop being a worry - or is it always the case - gosh).
If so that is very kind of you.
0 Likes

Marking.

My family has been in America, both North and South, since the 1600s. They were importers. They also used what they imported, which included lead crystal goblets. Nobody in my family ever got lead poisoning.

The CPSIA is an ignorant law. We have much more to fear from the Chinese products in terms of toxicity than we do from Swarovski. I've been wearing and using Swarovski for years and haven't died from it yet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very good to know as I use crystals also.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.