Former_Member
Not applicable

What is considered packaging?

I am considering making finger puppets sets. I know that for small toys labeling can be on the packaging the CPSIA says

"to place an appropriate mark just on the packaging-such as the cardboard sleeve of a deck of cards, or the plastic carrying case that might be provided with a toy or arts and crafts set."

I know what info I need to include and to stay with natural fibers. My question is what is considered a "package"?

I typically bundle my current -not for children- items up in tissue paper and include info with that. But, I might need something more permanent.

I would assume I might need to put on the info a statement saying "keep for future reference" type thing. Or, perhaps create a simple fabric bag for the puppets with a label sewed to that??

What does everyone think??
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What is considered packaging?

I think the fabric bag with the label is a great idea. This way your customers get the added bonus of a nifty storage spot and you've got your tag bases covered.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ya, that's what I was thinking, plus it's a tiny bit of advertising.
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

Fabric bag sounds great.

But even a plastic zip bag containing the items would be considered its package, so you could label the zip bag if you chose. A toy in a store might have a shrink-wrap plastic wrapper with a sticker label attached.
0 Likes

Put a hook and loop tape closure on it, if you do a drawstring it may fall under the drawstring issue.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FayeMaloneDesigns
FayeMaloneDesigns says:
Put a hook and loop tape closure on it, if you do a drawstring it may fall under the drawstring issue.

---

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't make toys but I lurk in this forum occasionally out of sheer fascination at the amount of ruuules... and now I am insatiably curious...

... drawstring issue?

Also I think a fabric bag is a fabulous idea. I love getting things with that extra touch :D
0 Likes

Drawsting issues?

Strangulation issues. The gov thinks that everyone under 16 will be killed by school buses dragging them by the drawstrings on the waists and necks of sweatshirts. And going down slides. And you will notice no drawstrings on window blinds. Now, yes children have been killed by these things, but there are 100's of thousands of children who have not been killed by the very same things. If we used the same logic on cars then cars would have been outlawed, and of course children are killed on bicycles, and riding horses, so we can't have those. But then children can be killed walking down the street, and then there are sex perverts. So never let your children leave home, and better yet, give them to the gov, they know best on everything.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Actually a string would just make the bag take longer. You gotta fold it over and draw it threw (which I hate doing!). Hook and loop would be quicker anyway. The bags would be an extra- not something I want to take hours on like my actual items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like the fabric bag idea. While yes even a ziploc bag is packaging, I think the added flair of a little fabric bag would be awesome!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

X_x are you serious. Jesus.

I am very much on the lefthand side of the government spectrum (well, usually) but this just reeks of Nanny State.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Government is way too ridiculous these days. A drawstring on a PACKAGE is a problem?! We've really just crossed the line into flat out ridiculous when it comes to regulation. My son likes to play with packaging, but I always take it away--that simply a parent's responsibility and we all shouldn't have to take the rap for the negligence of a few. Watch your kids!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Reading this on the heels of a series of TSA-related blog posts was not a good idea :(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FayeMaloneDesigns says:
Drawsting issues?

Strangulation issues. The gov thinks that everyone under 16 will be killed by school buses dragging them by the drawstrings on the waists and necks of sweatshirts. And going down slides. And you will notice no drawstrings on window blinds. Now, yes children have been killed by these things, but there are 100's of thousands of children who have not been killed by the very same things.

I doubt that the gov't thinks that EVERYONE under 16 will be strangled by their drawstrings. Which leads to the question- what is the acceptable number of children dead per year due to completely avoidable accidents that cost virtually nothing to prevent? 1,000? 100? ONE? ...depends on whose kid it was, maybe.

To me, the statistic that 100's of thousands of children have NOT been killed by something, (or the fact, no matter how irrelevant, that they could be in danger from sex perverts) does not negate the benefit of having a gov't issued standard designed to promote their safety.
I understand the anti-government sentiment here, but sometimes it borders on the BIZARRE.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.