Former_Member
Not applicable

The nice form letter I received!

Just thought I would post the nice little form letter that I received back from one of my Senators. The resprentative I spoke with definately thinks it is unfair to us but of course, he can't do anything because it is a federal issue!

Thank you for contacting me regarding product safety issues. I appreciate knowing of your views on this matter.

Here is the letter I received:

Last year, Congress passed and the president signed H.R. 4040, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (P.L. 110-314). Among other things, this legislation strengthens the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) authority and increases staffing levels. It also enhances protections for children's goods and requires tracking capability of children’s products. In addition, the bill limits lead content to 600 parts per million (ppm) in children’s products beginning February 10, 2009. This provision will be applied retroactively. Therefore, products that contain over 600 ppm of lead cannot be sold from inventory after February 10, 2009. By August 14, 2009, lead content in children’s products cannot exceed 300 ppm.

In addition, the measure requires manufacturers to submit children's products to an accredited third party laboratory to ensure that they are in compliance with current law and regulations. Manufacturers will be required to start testing for lead content once the CPSC releases a list of third party testing laboratories.

I understand your concerns. Recently, the CPSC extended the February 10th deadline for testing and certifying the lead content limits of children's products. However, businesses, manufacturers, and importers will still need to ensure that their products conform to safety standards, including the lead limits. The deadline for testing and certification has been extended until February 10, 2010. In addition, the CPSC is currently working on proposals to provide guidance on the lead requirements.

Rest assured, I will continue to monitor the situation. Again thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you would like more information on issues before the Senate, please visit my website at http://roberts.senate.gov. You may also sign up on my home page for a monthly electronic newsletter that will provide additional updates on my work for Kansas.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: The nice form letter I received!

The Senate voted down a bill that would amend CPSIA....it was brought by Senator DeMint of SC. So this was an issue before the senate already.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh yawn...the usual blah, blah, blah. Wasn't it nice that some intern took the time to put this in an envelope to you????
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Unfortunately, since Mattel just got hammered this is not going to help our cause.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

TammysSewingBasket says:

Unfortunately, since Mattel just got hammered this is not going to help our cause
----------------------------------------
You're right because the news stations will pick this up and make it a major story. Wish they had made people more aware of CPSIA and all that it means.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The worst part is that they used our tax dollars to pay for the stamp to mail this letter.

It is so interesting that this letter is word for word to letters others have received. There must be one central file of standard response letters for all of Congress to use.

Isn't this Congress wonderful?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh.....Just wonderful! :P
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I thought that Mattel was one of the big companies that not only help write the bill but also had a leading heads up of knowing about this law from the start so they could force their overseas maker to comply......

:0/
0 Likes

It's my understanding that we can't force China to comply, nor make them take the product back. It's part of the horse trading the gov does. Beside, supposedly, China has strict standards, and "does test". Ha! And who has the most certified testing labs? China, what does that tell you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It tells me that I would never send any of my stuff to China for testing......

:0/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I know that I am keeping this off topic and I am sorry, but I can't help and whine about this......

Example: I buy some stuff from the store (made in China) and make something for a kid to wear and to make sure I am safe, I send my stuff to a lab in China for testing and it fails....

I am the one that is libel and out of money from my own pocket, not China.... RIGHT....

:0(
0 Likes

Right, life's a bitch and then you die! We voted the ass holes in, so now we are paying the price of our apathy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FayeMaloneDesigns says:

Right, life's a bitch and then you die! We voted the ass holes in, so now we are paying the price of our apathy

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks fayemalone....I needed a good laugh tonight!!
0 Likes

BuggaLove says:
"The Senate voted down a bill that would amend CPSIA....it was brought by Senator DeMint of SC. So this was an issue before the senate already. " Okay so the Democrat controlled congress voted down an amendment By Senator DeMint (R) no shock there. I think we need to start seeing a Roll Call vote of how the House and Senate are voting so when mid term elections come up you can vote accordingly. The Democrats are running the show now and they IMHO stand for bigger government and more government control.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Has anyone else thought about this from the side of what if this does indeed stay intact? I have. And you know what I think? I think it's all a tidy package aimed at repaying our debt and keeping us shackled. We owe bazillions of dollars to China. Did you know per household we are now responsible for over half a million each? That's more, I read, than most of us will ever pay in housing, cars, and college EVER. China has been selling us toys forever. The labs are in China.....so, they FORCE all of us out of the children's toy/clothing/accesory business and what do you have left? Toys/clothing/accesories FROM CHINA. I wonder if they're keeping receipts. :/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very good point about testing in China.
I fielded a question about this exact issue at the recent hearing I testified at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8gXOOAL1k&feature=channel_page
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

WOW! I watched the whole group of testimonies and questions and thought you handled yourself amazingly several nights ago! How cool to "meet" you!
Your reference to "Alice down the rabbit hole" is right on. It's a big circle of nonsense!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.