CeciLeibovitz
Inspiration Seeker

The Stay has been extended!

The stay of enforcement for testing of lead content in children's products has been extended by the CPSC until 9/14/11. Follow the link for more info.

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia11/brief/staylead.pdf
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: The Stay has been extended!

Just 2 questions:
- Where is the ballot record recording the vote on which avenue each member of the commission is reccommending to be followed?
- What is the federal register # for the draft to be published as?
0 Likes
CeciLeibovitz
Inspiration Seeker

This is all the info I have right now. I will post more information as it becomes available.
0 Likes
CeciLeibovitz
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

SO the extension right now is a false rumor?
BUT may yet pass on 1-31-11 if the committee votes to?
0 Likes
HoldsIt
Crafty Poster

OMG why can't these people just make a decision and let us all get on with our lives! `
0 Likes
CeciLeibovitz
Inspiration Seeker

Correct jewelrydesignsbyME.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It did get extended till Sept 14 or are they voting on Monday for the extension till Sept 14?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I didn't follow the link above, but I was reading some stuff I got in my email updates yesterday.

From what I understood they are voting on Jan 31 to extend the stay to Sept 14th. did I understand that correctly?
0 Likes
CeciLeibovitz
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, the CPSC will vote on Jan 31 on whether to extend the stay until September 14, 2011. I've received confirmation of this from the CPSC. The earlier report I received was false.
0 Likes

I googled just now, and apparently (I HOPE!)
the commission voted 4-1 for extend the stay...........
until DECEMBER 31st!
0 Likes

Nancy Nord's blog said that the vote was indeed 4-1 to extend until December 31st.
0 Likes
HoldsIt
Crafty Poster

Just got an email from American Apparel that the stay is extended but they also point out that there is a lot of work that needs to be done on this law by 12/31 and it if isn't done we will all be screwed a year from now.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

yay!
0 Likes

Don't say yah yet! They have just given us snother drink of kool aid.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-01/cpsc-delays-key-part-of-anti-lead-law.html

We got the delay and it's even longer than expected. Very relieved.
0 Likes

Here's a portion of the email I received -- I left off the other articles he refers to since they all say basically the same thing and are much too long to post here.

At least this will get us through Christmas...
----------------------------------------------

Dear CPSIA stakeholder –

Thanks in part to your advocacy in recent weeks, the CPSC voted today to extend the stay of testing and certification requirements for lead (which was scheduled to expire on February 10, 2011) until December 31, 2011.

Your emails and advocacy helped create the environment that led to today’s vote.

The announcement doesn’t appear to be on the CPSC website yet, but below is a blog posting by CPSC Commissioner Nord from earlier today announcing the good news. At the bottom are several articles and wire stories that discuss today’s action. Below that is the AAFA press release welcoming this news.

However, while this announcement is good news, it only pushes the deadline down the road by a few months. As Commissioner Nord notes, absent further CPSC action or any action by Congress, the stay will lift on December 31, 2011.

Much work remains to be done to fix the problems that have been created by the CPSIA legislation. Your continued involvement and advocacy will be critical throughout the year to make sure the CPSIA can be finally amended to ensure a functioning product safety regime that advances public health and safety while not creating burdens for business or confusion for consumers.

You can learn about future advocacy campaigns for CPSIA in part by friending us on Facebook (facebook.com/apparelandfootwear) or following us on Twitter - @apparelfootwear.

Thanks again.

Steve Lamar
AAFA
-------------------------------------------------

Lead Testing Stay Extended to December 31
Nancy Nord | February 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

The Commission has now voted (4-1) to extend the stay of enforcement on third party testing for lead content—until December 31, 2011. Although the recommendation before us was to extend the stay until the middle of September, this would have imposed an expensive testing burden on small manufacturers during one of their busiest seasons.
This extension will also give the agency more time to complete the component testing proposed rule and the testing and certification proposed rule. Both these rules need to be in place before the stay of enforcement is lifted. While I would have preferred to specifically tie the lifting of the stay to the issuance of these rules, the December date gives everyone—the agency and manufacturers--a bit more time to prepare.
The stay of enforcement does not relieve anyone from complying with the underlying lead regulations. Therefore, consumer safety is not impacted by the agency’s action. Instead we have pushed off for a bit longer this burdensome requirement. However, unless Congress changes the law, the testing requirement will go into effect at the end of December.
0 Likes

This is great news, but here we go again . . .
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

While I'm pleased the stay is extended, I'm not confident the stay won't be denied in the future.

As a result, I've decided to stop creating children's hair accessories and just sell off my supply inventory. If you are looking for supplies for clippies, bows, headbands, etc...please stop by my shop and stock up from my overflowing inventory of extra supplies!
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

I'm so glad that they got this taken care of well before the expiration deadline (so we all knew what was happening on 2/11/11)...! Normal, efficient government functioning, I guess.

So it's "business as usual" with test results from manufacturer's allowed until the end of this year and exempt materials still exempt for now?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it makes good sense to be able to use components as long as they have been tested by the manufacturer. I'm glad that they're taking more time to come up with regulations that will continue make products safer for children while working to lessen the impact on small businesses like us. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.