Former_Member
Not applicable

Permanent Labelling Requirements

In August, the permanent labeling requirements go into effect.

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with those, should they not be changed. Garments are one thing, but my wood products are another.

My mobiles in particular. I have NO idea how to permanently label them. I was thinking about wood burning, or a custom wood burning stamp with my logo and the appropriate info on it? Or something?

I haven't even gotten as far as reading the labelling requirements yet because I've been so busy trying to stay in compliance for the February deadlines. But August is just around the corner and I need a plan.

Any ideas?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
55 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Permanent Labelling Requirements

I'm having the same problem with my hairclips and wool felt necklaces. I think I've figured out a way to do it with my dolls, but I have no idea how I would permanently label a wool necklace or a hair clip. I'll be on the lookout for some ideas, too.
0 Likes
HipViolet
Inspiration Seeker

Here is what I gathered from the labeling:
Starting at the August deadline, all items must have a PERMANENT (no hang tags) label that states when, where, who and the batch/lot number of that product. Yup, that means that for those of you who make small batches (or batches of one, like me) have to somehow figure out how to make a label that you can customize with the DATE and the BATCH for each product. Woven labels are out, unless you can find someone to make very small batches. Of course these will be tested too.

My problem is that I make OOAK items and obviously very small batches. How am I supposed to label with the DATE I made it? I might make 2-3 things a day, none, or 10. Who knows? And since I'm just a little work-at-home-mommy, not like I could go back in my non-existant "records" and know what I made that day.

I'm just not thinking about it ;)
0 Likes

I'm stumped too for my knitted food and booties. - it seems that if you can do the lead testing, I'd still be stuck in august. - it's so frustrating.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Right, the idea of "batches" and "lots" is a problem for custom or made-to-order items.

It's a problem with my aparrel too, since I don't sew my own labels in, adding an additional label will be problematic. Maybe there's someone super enterprising out there who can think of a way to customize these labels.

Anyway, I think everyone is so focused on the testing for the February deadline, that we're overlooking the hurdles ahead. So when writing letters, don't forget to mention the other aspects of the law that are problematic!
0 Likes

I'm having the same problem. Everything I do is a batch of one. How do I label teeny tiny socks? Like I have the time or ambition to handsew label into everything. I don't sew. Oy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just wondering, are you guys planning on having one product from every "batch" you make sent out for testing and are you prepared to pay the fees? Cause otherwise, what's the point of labelling? You won't get brownie points for complying 50% of the way...unfortunately.
0 Likes
StoneMetalFiber
Inspiration Seeker

I haven't heard about this. Does anyone have a link with more info?
0 Likes
StoneMetalFiber
Inspiration Seeker

(I mean that I've heard about the CPSIA but not this permanent labeling aspect.)
0 Likes

What products does this apply to? Items like jewelry are surely exempt. I can't imagine socks needing permanent labels either.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Does this law only apply to children's items?
0 Likes

what is this labeling? Childrens items only? Or all?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I did not know about the labeling either! I sign & date each doll but they are not for children. Hummmm! Interesting!
Helene
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

What about using a permanant marker? Like, I have labels that say my shop name. What if I wrote the date and batch # on each by hand?

Granted, I have not thought or read about this much, so this might not be sufficient - I can ony mentally deal with one crisis at a time.
0 Likes

Honestly, I think all of this is baloney. There's no way they can enforce it at the cottage industry level. The government has way bigger fish to fry. Bigger corporations will have to worry about this stuff, not us.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with nickie. One of a kind things would definitely be hard to label. It's a puzzle, Hopefully someone with more brains and sense than the people who thought up this ridiculous law will get the attention of the fools who came up with this and a solution will be etched in stone.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/103faq.html

Here are the labelling FAQs if anyone needed them. This is only applicable for children's items, for those (other than me) who were asking :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

how do I put all the required information on a PERMANENT label on a 4 in tall crochet plushie, can't be ribbon or hangtag...

One of the questions I emailed CPSA, and still have no answer on.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

HappySouls says:
___
for now
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

another thing to consider...I had kind of wanted labels for my learning toys anyway and if I could use a permanent fabric pen to write date...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Are they kidding???? If someone buys something from me on etsy they know well and sure where it came from and who made it...AND...if it's OOAK who needs a batch #
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

trinlayk says:
HappySouls says:
___
for now
--------------------------------------------------------
lol. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this is just the tip of the iceberg. After all, I spent all day yesterday watching my 1 yr old niece and she SURE enjoyed chewing on all the TV remotes. Not one book or toy did she put in her mouth though. This thing could turn into Godzilla, if they wanted it to...
0 Likes
birdylegs
Inspiration Seeker

I'm thinking that this could really end up causing more problems for small manufacturers than small handcrafters. I'm betting that most of us will be considered people who make one of a kind items and will be exempted. I am actually more fearful for people who have small product lines, do the designing, then have a small shop that makes the product. They would actually have batch numbers and "lines" to test. Those types of businesses employ a large number of people in this country and we can't afford to lose them. If the testing requirements don't kill them, these crazy labeling and tracking laws will.
0 Likes

I had not heard of this.
holy smokes all over again.
off to read up.
0 Likes

hello all,
... is this all retro active?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.