So my daughter just turned 8 and had a party last week. About half of the gifts were "The littlest Petshop" items bought at Walmart, I believe.
I kept turning the boxes over and looking for a statement about safety and the certification and law.
THERE WAS NOTHING! What am I missing?

I really detest those toys. All the small plastic parts that will end up in my vaccuum. The giant mountain of trash from the wrapping. Twist-tied in a box. And really, they look quite hideous...

I don't get it. Here we are fretting and worrying about this stupid law - but the toymakers from China are doing the same old same old. I don't get it. =(
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Observations at a recent birthday party...

The last few birthday parties I hosted for my kids, I specified on the invitation that it was a 'no gifts' party-- mainly b/c one of the families that we always invite is going through some major tough times... and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. But it had the nifty side-effect of not bringing little bits of plastic junk into my house. LOL
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

(BTW, that was my 11=year-old's idea-- to have the no-gift parties, and her sibs agreed with her on it.)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Another option is to skip the birthday party, and instead have a back-to-school party, Valentine's party, Christmas party, end-of-school party, Halloween party,..... that kind of thing-- where gifts are not expected at all.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sure wouldn't want any families going thru tough time showing up with crappy Walmart Little Pet Shop monstrosities and having the gift recipient have to pretend to like it while the parent analyzes the box. Maybe a no-gift party is the way to go.
0 Likes

germandolls says:
Candejo, how in the world would they fit the information on those tiny pieces? I don't get it...

Good question, when someone figures that out I hope they let manufacturers know. Considering the volume of information that's supposed to be permanently affixed/stamped in some manner on each and every item intended for 12/under. LOL I mean, how about earrings? Necklaces? Socks? and on and on and on. Part of the futility of the whole process.
0 Likes

As far as the packaging...maybe a little googling on the history of all that and seeing who's responsible would help make sense of it. Let's just say litigation and consumers and see if that helps you find the information. So, when some of us can't stand all that baloney for packaging.....we can only look at other consumers and thank them. <rolling eyes>
0 Likes
Uneek4U
Post Crafter

My daughter will turn 8 in June and LOVES LPS toys. I cannot stand the little pieces so the rule is they are played with on a table with sides. (train table/lego type table) The packaging is annoying to say the least. I think we spend way more time at christmas trying to open packages than taking the wrapping paper off. I don't see why they can't pack stuff in recyclable cardboard boxes with a picture of the toy on the outside like playmobil does.
0 Likes

Exactly the law should apply to CHina! it sucks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We just had a no gift skating party for our 11 year old.
It was fun for everyone and no unwanted toys to deal with.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My granddaughter is a huge fan of webkinz pets; she just turned 9, and received 3 as gifts! She goes online to register (adopt)them and the whole 9 yards!!
The webkinz tags specify not for under age 3; and add that the GANZ petrs meet or exceed USA Voluntary Product Safety Standards ASTM F963...
also, to remove and discard all fasteners pieces... before giving item to a child.

BTW: Happy Easter All!! and, cute cat above, too!
:D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ulla, I would buy your darling dolls any day over some of this stuff, I get so tired of all the packaging!! Your stuff is so precious to me. :) Would you mind if I posted the gnome dress and doll pocket on my blog, http://www.HappyFlyingButtons.blogspot.com? I am doing a post about "finding your niche" and this is the perfect photo. I do a shout-out to your shop and link to your shop as well. (I probably should have convoed this but I have a cold so I am taking short cuts today.)

Thanks for the post, I am really interested in this whole CPSIA thing, I'm writing about it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

never heard of littlest pet shop. So googled them, they are made by hasbro. Gotta think they're CPSIA compliant?
are they?
agree with germandolls, can't stand all those little plastic pieces. But since I have boys, it was Lego's that were everywhere.
I'd much rather have a doll made out of yarn for my birthday.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

PussDaddy have you seen my vintage polypocket charm bracelets
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I actually have seen them, JanetLily, and I have looked more than once. :-)
0 Likes

And though everyone would like to think otherwise, the world is not full of kids who relish receiving a stuffed worm made out of socks, or a doll made out of yarn for their birthday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow, kind of ignorant. Or are the natural toy folks ok to bash around here?
0 Likes

Thanks, Flyingbuttons! Sure go ahead, you can use my pictures!
We tried a "no gifts except for books party" when my son turned 6. He was so mad at me. He did not understand at all. The idea was to donate the books to the library after we had read them...Well, maybe we should try again now that they are older...
But honestly, people stared at me when I told them that they should not bring anything but books. I could see the: "oh right, it's the crazy German lady" - look on their face... How mean of her to deprive her child of birthday gift. I felt like such a bad mother when one parent broke the rule and brought a bow and arrow set. My son said it was the BEST gift ever...and ignored the books.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wasn't bashing anyone. Personally, out of all the kids that I know, and I know a lot, not one of them would want or prefer a handmade gift. And I have bought handmade toys on Etsy for Etsy Baby Shower Gifts, because I don't mind buying it for people who will appreciate it's handmadeness. I just don't know personally myself any kid off of Etsy who would, and would go so far as to say I haven't met a kid in my entire lifetime who would.
0 Likes

So are you saying all of the people who buy toys from the Natural Kids team, toys like mine, are parents who play with the toys themselves? Or they are brainwashed somehow into liking them?

I cannot believe the kids you know are all that way.
I don't buy it, PussDaddy!
0 Likes
woolies
Post Crafter

I know many kids that would love and adore the handmade toys that you can find here. When I was a kid, (quite a long time ago) my mother rarely bought us plastic-type toys. We grew up using our imaginations, and I cannot remember complaining about being bored, ever.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No, I don't have an opinion on anyone's kids or their parent's except for the kids I know, and I know if I handed any kid I know a stuffed doll, or something out of a store, they would pick something out of the store. And with that in mind, I would not buy it for them, but I will buy it for people who do appreciate it, and the only ones I personally know who do are the ones I buy for for the Etsy Baby shower. That is what I was saying.

And yes, every single kid I know is that way. All of the people I know, my friends and family include, don't know crap about handmade, don't want to know about it, think I am crazy for buying it, and they all shop at Walmart and all the places everyone here hates, although I shop there too and make no excuses for it except that I can and do appreciate many different things and one of them is that I am able to appreciate handmade .
0 Likes

That is really sad, PussDaddy!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it is too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

These kids, you can't even say go outside and play, or they will sit there crying because they don't know how to play if it doesn't plug into an elecrical outlet and have joy sticks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

we used to go outside and play all day. never come home except to eat. sticks and dirts - and playing in the creek - it was great.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I know ...whatever happened to just playing in the mud. Of course Lorna has no problem with this..she was covered head to toe in it the other day...LOL.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.