Former_Member
Not applicable

Obama and Top Ten issues ?

What ever happened with the CPSIA being in the Top Ten Issues presented to Obama??

I thought he'd save us. At least have the congress look at the stupidness of the law and effects again.

I thought he'd care about saving the jobs - businesses in jeopardy.

Did I miss it?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
54 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Obama and Top Ten issues ?

Sorry to say and no political implications intended but the Democrat Party has taken a hard line position to support CPSIA as written ("to protect all of the children") so there is no way - as head of the Democrat Party - that Obama is going to go against the Party line. And he has appointed new members to the CPSC including a new chairperson who are strong advocates of enforcing CPSIA as written.

So the fact that children from families who cannot afford new clothes will have no clothes now because they are no longer in the thrift stores and the children whose parents no longer have jobs because they cannot make a living any longer selling because of CPSIA will go hungry, don't matter as much as the children they are protecting from the small business craftsperson whose products have always been safer than the imports from the big manufacturers who are going along comfortably now with CPSIA.
0 Likes

Frankly, CPSIA is probably the least of our worries in the comming months. When legislation is written with only wild as s ideas, and no real plans and studies have been done. When that same legislation is only printed in the dead of night, and no one has read it (how can anyone read 1400 pages in 5 hrs, and understand the ramifications) When Walmart is imtimidated by the Unions and suddenly folds and supports the Union causes, and banks who are almost insolvent are receiving billions of dollars because the senator who started the bank 40+ years ago calls the fed and makes a request to save his investment, how do we really think that they really give a damn about putting us our of business? I'm sick of the lot of them.
0 Likes

I so 100% percent agree FayeMalone! I've never seen such a bunch....our rights are being whittled away. Makes me ill....
0 Likes

More gonvernemnt intervention is not the answer it is the problem
0 Likes
MaleahTorney
Inspiration Seeker

Obama is big on lots of government so it will be a cold day in you know where, before he helps this one out. Sadly, this is only the beginning. :(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This will all be over in 3.5 years.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

What is going to change in 3.5 years?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cheer up guys, don't forget to re-elect Obama in 2012 to make certain everyone understands exactly what he has done to us.

My favorite author said it once, "You can remove a trouble-maker from power at great expense and only a small amount of people will understand and thank you, and you can be seen by nearly everyone else as the big bad tyrant. OR You can allow the problem to fester and become so terrible that everyone understands what you are doing when you remove the trouble-maker from power at even greater expense and you will be viewed as the hero.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

People are counting down the days until they can elect a new president.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FayeMaloneDesigns,
SO glad to see that someone else is getting what is going on! You are so right about all that you said!
marysgranddaughter,
Hopfully, the Dems will be voted out of office BUT I think (fear) this take-over will keep them in power a LONG time!!!
Helene
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Not all people:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Excuse me.

The only senator who voted against this puppy at introduction was Ron Paul.

I think your marvelous "conaservative" R's have even more to answer for.
0 Likes

we have to get past parties and realize that all the politicians and the government are out of control and nothing is going to change until we the people stand up and stop it.
0 Likes

Tinahdee is right--we the people need to stand up and stop it.

Senator Jim deMint is also opposed to CPSIA as written. He tried to offer an amendment in April, but of course nothing came of it: http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=JimsJournal.Detail&Blog_ID=681d50c3-f69b-0d99-2...

Attend a tea party! Democrat, Republican--it doesn't matter what party you are. We need our government to hear us!
0 Likes

bombalurina
April 2, 2009 there was an amendment put forth By Jim DeMint(R) (DeMint Amdt. No. 964) and the purpose was to "To establish a deficit-neutral reserve fund to protect small and home businesses from the burdensome and impractical requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008." the amendment was rejected the nays were 58 and the yeas were 39 with the democrats voting against
0 Likes

Please, wake up and realize that big government is the enemy of small businesses. There are countless examples, this is just one.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

<------------- LOVES Ron Paul!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

pattispolkadots, you are so right. I'm not sure this forum is large enough to enumerate them all... ;) (and, to be certain, both parties have sinned in this regard).

bombalurina, Rep. Paul was the only congressman to vote against it; I believe that only a handful in the Senate (can't remember the number off the top of my noggin) followed suit. But really, if you were going to be up for (re-)election, would you want your opponent campaigning on "s/he wants to poison children"?! Political reality.

tinahdee, absolutely right! Both parties are due for some scolding! America's future isn't the place for party politics and all the games they're playing on the Hill (i.e, 3 a.m. amendments).

John Adams was right to be opposed to the formation of political parties...
0 Likes

Yes, and I agree that both Democrats and Republicans have not represented us well for years.
0 Likes
MaleahTorney
Inspiration Seeker

Totally agree Tina, well said. It's not about parties, it's about protecting our rights that are being stripped away slowly but surely. It concerns me greatly that the leader of our country isn't the one looking out for us. It is truely time for "WE" the people.
0 Likes
MaleahTorney
Inspiration Seeker

Hey, just wanted to say, how nice that this politically related thread is so civil! Very refreshing! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

urbandesign, isn't is sad that civility is noted as the exception, not the rule? (Though, in all actuality, I've found Etsy forums to be fairly civil overall... certainly moreso than other websites.)
0 Likes
belovedbows
Registered Buyer

I have been up at night thinking about this stuff, my head is swimming. But I got to thinking...If this law passes, I won't be able to go to a craft fair and buy say children's clothing...so I go to a class and learn how to make clothing...what is the difference if I buy the fabric myself and make it for my child or if I go to someone else to make it for me...my point is it needs to start with the manufacture of the materials we buy, not with the finished product. Again along these lines if something isn't safe for my child it probably isn't safe for me right...so again if I go and buy something that is manufacture to specifically "make" something like fabric, buttons, ribbon, etc. it should already be safe. Does this make sence?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

TheHumbleSeamstress
TheHumbleSeamstress says:
FayeMaloneDesigns,
SO glad to see that someone else is getting what is going on! You are so right about all that you said!
marysgranddaughter,
Hopfully, the Dems will be voted out of office BUT I think (fear) this take-over will keep them in power a LONG time!!!
Helene

I didn't realize that the CPSIA forums were for political pissing matches.

I thought it was to discuss getting the legislation changed, & making the adjustments to our business as needed.

I guess I just remembered why I don't come up to this one anymore....
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.