Former_Member
Not applicable

I allowed my grandson to play with lead CPSIA!

Yes, that's correct. While in the attic, my husband found a huge box of his toys from boyhood! My 4 year old grandson had a ball with them! He loved asking me if this "old-timey" toy was around before or after I was born, etc. And the Evil Knieval (sp?) toys really made him smile.

Now my hubby was born in the great year of 1965 and I am sure there's lead in most of them.Ialso have a HUGE vintage children's book collection and my grandson is now showing interest in those as well. He played with those toys for 2 hours and did not want to go home but keep playing!

The point of my post is this: I love my grandchildren just as I do my own children and would lay my life down for anyone of them, literally and do NOTHING to hurt or harm them in anyway. I have worked in medicine for 20 years as well. The time my grandson, myself, and my husband spent with these toys will be an everlasting memory and now everytime he is coming over he calls to ask me if he can play with the "old timey" toys and I say "of course you can sweetheart. They are yours.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
48 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: I allowed my grandson to play with lead CPSIA!

What a sweet story, Wv. It really saddens me that the government has turned this issue into a witch hunt of sorts.
You'd better hurry up and destroy those books...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

my books will be destroyed over my dead body..LOL..Actually this is not a laughing matter. The way this whole CPSIA thing is going, I could possibly be arrested for child abuse!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

CPSIA can kiss my big fat a$$.
my 2 year old's book collection consists of 75% pre-1985 books, some even have the dreaded staple binding!!!
i live in Canada but because of the kind of shop i run, i am very interested in, and trying to keep up with these new laws.

my brother had Evil Knievel, he was so cool. you let your grandbabies keep on playing with him. and vintage books?
the thought of what will happen to all those beautiful books brings tears to my eyes....
0 Likes
MyTheta
Inspiration Seeker

Wow - you are young grandparents!!! woo wee! that is awesome! ...or am I just getting old?LOL I wouldn't worry about the law in regards to you, the law is for manufacturing and reselling, right? Not so much for what you have tucked away that you still use. The lead levels were extremely high in many cases with regards to manufactured goods, in light of the restrictions on lead, which were already being in place.
Nobody is being forced to destroy their own books - you have to re-read the regulations - am I being too serious? I have so many beautiful "vintage" - more like antique - books that aren't going anywhere... they aren't handled by children anyway!

How do you know your toys have lead anyway? They might be perfectly fine...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I just bought fishing lures..... (I am taking my kids fishing for the first time, I haven't fished in like 15 years,,,, he he) I can do this...

Anyways, the lures said they have lead in them.... I just read the packaging... uh oh
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey, um, lets think about this for a minute.... if we have to destroy all the bad and go BUY all the new again... we are creating Jobs by the thousands... we all have to do more research and do more testing, labeling and on and on and what are we doing... Stimulating the economy at least the ones with the money to redo the whole house and whole kids extra playroom... (not me) but don't you think sometimes somebody knows what they are doing to make money flow again..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just sayin....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

think of all the little shops that will go out of business though... and destroying all those beautiful books and toys and clothes is criminal in itself! so so sad... get ready landfills, here they come.
0 Likes

good point....as someone who adores vintage, I am not worried in the least if my children play with old toys and read old books.....I have a good head on my shoulders and will keep them out of harm's way when necessary....this is not something I would ever worry about.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

yay!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FYI, the CPSIA does not require you to destroy the items, but you cannot sell or disburse them. That means you can't legally give them to your Grandson, however if he just happens to find them and start playing with them.....
0 Likes

Yeah, we'll we're not dead right? Good for you! The next thing you know, they'll be putting you in jail for letting your kids play with our vintage toys! Good grief!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

****************** RUSSIAN MIX ************************

...........could you leave a comment here..............

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=57887

...................................BE ORIGINAL.........
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'll still be selling my vintage childrens books as colletibles which CPSIA has deemed ok. All mine will come with the disclaimer that these books are sold as collectibles only and not intended for use by children. I have a 1950 copy of "The House at Pooh Corner" that I am listing tomorrow!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm REALLY sorry. I didn't know that I shouldn't do that.
It's my first time. I never use forums before and I didn't know this rule.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I bought my 4 year old daughter some vintage My Little Ponies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls from sellers right here on Etsy. She loves them. I played with all those "toxic" toys and read all the "toxic" books as a child and I'm healthy and alive. There are a lot of even more toxic things out there to harm not only children but adults. And what makes throwing all these toys and books into the landfills better? In an age where recycling and saving the planet is so encouraged I can't believe they consider the answer to this so called problem is to just throw everything in the garbage. Shameful.

(I live in Canada)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thats a sweet story!:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, it's a sweet story but please make sure your 4 year old grandson doesn't put any of those toys in his mouth and washes his hands after playing with them.

I am not advocating CPSIA, but lead poisoning is a serious risk for children under 6. It affects their brain development, causing learning disorders and attention problems. House paint is by far the cause of most childhood lead poisoning, but if those toys really do contain lead, it's best to be careful.
0 Likes

Hey, I just wandered in here... what is wrong with old children's books?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't know how any of us made it to adulthood without getting lead poison, or so you would think with the new laws.
I think the real problem is the junk they import from China.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Anybody try taking old books or anything to the toxic waste dump? If our misrepresentatives need reality to sink in, their laughter at such stupidity should be enough.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love your story, but the thing that caught my eye was ....

your hubby was born in 1965 and is a GRANDFATHER!! Yikes.. I'm older than I thought I was! :O

I'm younger...but not by much!! lol
0 Likes
bobbinalong
Registered Buyer

Dear goodness me! I am a Grandma. I can still remember when I was 7, living in the city, and the horsedrawn wagon delivered the milk! I was in love with the horse. And the horse that delivered the ice. My stepgrandmother was born in the late 1800's and would tell us about going, as a child, across the country in a covered wagon I have shoes older than most of you, including a pair older than the "60's grandparents"!

And I was going to sew today! Don't know if I will have the strength to get to the sewing machine. Time goes by so quickly. But through all of my years, we never thought about dangers. A lot of the years when I was young were consumed with the war and fathers being gone, moms working and trying to survive. Lots of rationing of food, clothes. Actually, there have been lots of wars through the years to deal with.

I, along with all of you, agree that this CPSIA is way out of control. The people that voted it in are probably younger than "my vintage shoes"!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I guess I don't buy into the idea that everyone having to go out and buy "new" and "approved safe" toys because all the old stuff that is feared to have some minute level of lead will have to be destroyed, is going to create jobs. Certainly not in the USA. Where do those toys still come from? Oh yeah... China.. Taiwan.. So all we're doing is continuing to support their countries, not our own. New jobs my hiney.

In addition, the whole point behind Goodwill and thrift stores is for people who cannot afford to buy stuff NEW to get these things at extremely low cost. So what happens when there are no more "used" toys to sell? These same people who couldn't afford "new" toys before aren't going to magically be able to afford the new stuff, so they'll either go without, or search high and low for someone who is still selling used items under the table. It will still do nothing for these supposed new "jobs" if the new toys aren't being purchased in any greater numbers than before.

And since all these testing requirements are thus far cost prohibitive, that means the handmade sellers will have to increase their prices to compensate (or just not sell at all - again, new jobs? Ha. ), and those thrift shoppers are still left with no affordable toys.

Yep, not buying into it at all.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.