nico6196
Registered Buyer

Compliance on Etsy?

I am trying so hard to understand all the CPSIA requirements along with FTC requirements. I was just wondering if you comply and whether or not you think most Etsy sellers comply?

A friend of mine ordered a newborn headband from an Etsy seller and when she received it, I asked her if it was labelled at all. She said no. Now we are in Canada, so perhaps the seller didn't bother as it was going to Canada (does it matter? - just curious). It just got me thinking about whether or not most sellers give themselves headaches trying to figure it all out. I, for one, would not sell anything knowing I'm not complying with a requirement I am aware of.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies

Re: Compliance on Etsy?

You have to keep in mind that the CPSIA is a U.S law. Etsy is an international website and each country has different regulations. I'm in Canada so I follow the regulations of my country.
0 Likes
nico6196
Registered Buyer

do you sell in the U.S.? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the CPSIA and FTC requirements affect items sold in the U.S., no matter the country of origin?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I thought that was what prompted this mess of a legislation...I.E imported stuff that was dangerous to us...

'course if your shipping it anywhere but here well..you might need to know the rules in the country of purchase?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, in order to sell in teh U.S., you have to follow the CPSIA rules and regualtions as well....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Especially if you're selling bicycles. I just saw a recall because the bicycle seat had an excessive amount of lead. I can't tell you how many times my mother told me not to lick my bicycle seat. (comment in jest - the CPSIA is riddled with ridiculous requirements although the spirit of the law is admirable).
0 Likes

You only have to follow the CPSIA laws if you are wholesaling to the U.S (items to be resold in U.S). Otherwise, it's the importer's (buyer's) responsibility to know the laws of their own country and they are responsible for the goods that they import. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/internet_purchases.xml
0 Likes

nico6196 says: do you sell in the U.S.?

No, I'm situated in Canada and I don't wholesale to the U.S. If a U.S customer comes into my shop and purchases something, they are responisble. If you had a shop here, I could ask you the same question about selling to Canada and if you follow Canadian regulations.
0 Likes
nico6196
Registered Buyer

herflyinghorses, that is an interesting link you provided. Thank you, I will have to read it in more detail later. Are there any Canadian Regulations regarding selling of children's apparel in Canada? Anything similar to CPSIA or FTC requirements? I'd love to give it a read!
0 Likes
clothscapes
Registered Buyer

I think compliance is quite low, often because people are not aware of these laws. I only recently learned about the FTC laws and became compliant. Also I think many people think that because they only sell a few items as a hobby that they don't have to worry, or that with their small volume they will never get caught.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

herflyinghorses & nico6196,
This maybe a better link, http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/trade/iius.ctt/iius.pdf , for sellers outside the USA looking to export to here. It a 211 page OVERVIEW of what must be done by an international seller prior to the item arriving at the US customs clearinghouse, rather than what the stateside customer is responsible for. The are references and sometimes links to more detailed regulations in some sections.

Cut -n- Paste doesn't work on this documtent so here are some pages that have the greatest interest to non-USA based international sellers shipping to the USA on ETSY. But I do suggest that when you have the time to read the full document and any applicable links for your products that it provides.

Page 106 Starts discussing what other US government regulatiory bodies and agencies need done in addition to what the CBP wants before packages are cleared or seized from customs.
Page 115 Specifically discusses that product under the regulatory control of the CPSC can be refused entry for many reasons
Pages 122 to 124 concerns diamonds and precious metals
Pages 125 to 126 concerns the Toxic Control Substance Act, Hazardous Stubstance Act, and Caustic Poison Act
Pages 126 to 128 goes over in general the Textile, Wool, and Fur Act
Pages 132 and 143 discusses what other items that are prohibited from being shipped to the USA without a broker or custom's clearing agent.
0 Likes

nico6196 says: Are there any Canadian Regulations regarding selling of children's apparel in Canada?

You can read up on canadian regulations here http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/indust/toys-jouets/index-eng.php. Our standards are very similar to that of the EU. We have VERY strict laws on sleepwear http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/indust/sleepwear-vetements_nuit/index-eng.php#a23

This website sums up the lead regulations from several countries http://www.tierracast.com/safetyinternational
0 Likes

That first link I gave doesn't work now. Let's try this one http://hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/indust/toys-jouets/index-eng.php
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Compliance seems very low, but every day or so a new person/shop is posting questions in this section of the forum, so I think it may be increasing. But I don't think this law is very well or accurately publicized to the whole crafting community. I have only heard about it on etsy, never on any other craft websites or retail establishment, or even a magazine. I am sure there is some discussion out there other than on etsy, but I've seen very little. I think a lot of people don't know.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.