Former_Member
Not applicable

CPSIA testing - making it affordable for you

Hi All,

My name is Kristie and I am a chemist. All this uproar about the CPSIA and how expensive it is to get testing done has lead me to open my own lab - one that makes it affordable to handcrafter! I am in the beginning stages of opening, and it will be a few months before I am accredited for lead and phthalate testing.

However, I would like input from the Etsy community on how to make the testing fit into your budget. Having several friends who are handcrafters and have sites on Etsy, it deeply saddens me to see Etsy shops closing due to CPSIA compliance testing. My goal is to help YOU. Also note that a portion of my profits will be donated to a children's charity (although I have not decided which one yet).

What services would you like to see from my lab? How can I make this affordable to you? Are you even interested in such a lab?

Please give me some honest feedback. Thanks!
Kristie Armstrong, Ph.D.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
40 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: CPSIA testing - making it affordable for you

Your lab must be APPROVED officially by CPSC or your testing is not acceptable for compliance with CPSIA. The law very specifically states that testing must be done by an "Approved Third Party Lab". CPSC has a list of labs that only may be used.

So your idea is great, but unless you get that government approval under this law, it your testing will not be accepted.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love to have affordable testing, especially since my items are in the grey area of products. Here's a link to the CPSIA with what would you need to get accreditation from the CPSC along with the testing procedures that are acceptable to to the government
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/labaccred.html .

Here's the links for the types of testing I would need for my products
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/CPSC-CH-E1001-08.pdf
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/CPSC-CH-E1002-08.pdf
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I intend to get accredited by CPSC. It will take me 4-6 months to get accredited. Please realize that I am very professional and serious about providing the best quality at the lowest price possible. I have done thorough research into the accreditation process.

I appreciate your feedback and interest in the testing. I will definitely let you know when I am accredited!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't have and input...just wanted to say thank your for doing this. Gives handcrafters hope! : )

I don't have a handmade shop open yet....waiting to see how the component testing issue plays out.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

any input (not and input)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This forum section has been getting slower and slower lately. I think that we are all waiting to see what happens with CPSIA in Feb 2010 - will the exempt list continue and will componet testing be allowed and if we will be allowed to rely on supplier testing, where available.

If those 2 things happen, then you may be very busy testing some components.

None of us is very happy with having to make 2 identical items and having one destroied by testing. That doubles the time required to make anything and the cost of materials.

Most of us have low profit margins as it is. We make one of a kind or a few of a kind so unit testing will really add to our costs - even at a low cost lab.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I believe component testing is the most logical way of testing, rather than destroying an item. Besides, it is the materials used to make the item, not HOW it is assembled!

I will keep all of you posted. Thanks for your interest at this point!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, most of believe that component testing is the way to go and that the manufacturers/suppliers should supply CPSIA testing certificates when asked. However, our job seems to be to convince the CPSIA and Congress that component testing will provide the desired safety levels.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is great! I have no suggestions. I don't understand how long it takes to test something and why it costs so much. My mom is starting to make some baby things, and would love to be able to put buttons and velcro.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm waiting to see what happens in February. If component testing is allowed and testing is reasonable for my profit margin, then I'll be interested. I'm really truely hoping that supplier testing is going to sufficient!
0 Likes

I would love this type of testing for products that are just so difficult to find information on. Such as all the fabric in my cupboards that I've had for years and have no way of getting any kind of component testing certificates. etc. etc.
If it were, in fact, affordable, I would be a wonderful service for people like me.

I think time and affordability are the biggest factors. The service needs to be fast and cost effective.

Good luck to you and thank you for your efforts.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marking this for reading later.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

One thing that would be helpful is if you keep a database of your tested products. I would be willing to pay for the results of a test you had previously done on a product. Many crafters use the same supplies.

For example, if you test xyz button from W lot made by whatshisname for me and you keep that information in a database, you should be able to sell the results to another business/person for them to use also. This will help reduce costs for everyone. Coming up with a fair pricing system (i.e. access to the database, vs. doing the actual testing) might be tricky. But in the long run, it would be a good thing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been following this for some months now. Here is the link to the latest comment from CPSIA as of Nov. 3rd. This is not the final word of course. But, the many voices are being heard and our concerns are being taken into consideration. I thank the many people who have been at the forefront of this situation, fighting for us small businesses.
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia10/brief/102testing.pdf
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

littlecreekboutique says:
I would love this type of testing for products that are just so difficult to find information on. Such as all the fabric in my cupboards that I've had for years and have no way of getting any kind of component testing certificates. etc. etc.
If it were, in fact, affordable, I would be a wonderful service for people like me.

---------------------------------------------------------

I believe that all fabric (other than a coated fabric like oil cloth) is on the exempt list. Hopefully, they will continue to allow exemptions for those items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

marking so I can find drwifey later.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

marking this
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

BuggaLove,
The database is a great idea and something I could absolutely do. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Likes

marking-want to be kept up to date on progress
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I thought they had overhauled enough by now that you didnt really need to be tested...they've added so many exempt things. I thought you just needed to label your items with your business name, location, and date of manufacture.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for offering your help to Etsians. The process of testing is far beyond my understanding, so I have no suggestions for services I would like. But, of course, lead and phthalate testing would be key.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good suggestion BuggaLove! A database would be incredibly helpful.
0 Likes

marking
0 Likes

Have they made used clothing exempt? Kids and adults.

Just starting to get involved with this mess and have a trillion questions about what is going on!

May just stick to working with items not for kids!

Leave it to the government to screw up a way for the average "Jane" to make a little extra money for her family!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.