Former_Member
Not applicable

Bibs

I received a private message asking if my bibs were compliant. I don't know much about all of this. I thought it was mostly for toys. Would you recommend that I pull the bibs from my shop? I see a lot of other bibs which don't mention any compliance. Thanks.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Bibs

Kitchenstitchen

The fusible laminate needs to be certified lead and Phthalate free. The cotton and the binding are exempt on your bibs. Contact the manufacturer of the laminate and see if they have tested it for lead content and phthalates. If they have not, then you have a choice. Find a tested vinyl where you can get the testing information, have it tested yourself by a cpsc certified lab, or change your design and not use the laminate.

Check with Michael Miller fabrics, I think they were going to issue some of their fabrics with approved/tested vinyl coatings.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Faye! Should I pull them from the shop until then? And are there "police" or spies sending private messages to shops asking this? This person just created their account today and the note felt a bit threatening.
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

Spies? Probably not officially, but anyone could report an item of yours for investigation if they think it is non-compliant. The penalties can be very large, so it might be wise to consider removing all items for kids 12 and under that use non-exempt materials.
0 Likes
knitwit4ever
Conversation Maker

...at least until you can get your documentation in order, that is.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help. Can I still get in trouble because they WERE in my store? This person has documentation that they were. Plus they said that the law will be going into effect later this year. Also, I noticed someone at Martha Stewart picked up on this use for fusible vinyl. Can she get in trouble for suggesting that people use this for this purpose IF the material does not meet compliance? From my brief research, it seems vinyl, in general, may contain phthalates. Not sure about this particular product . Am I going to get in trouble for attempting to sell these? I didn't even know of any potential problems until today.
0 Likes

I don't think that the gov would come after you in you once had them in the store and removed them. And they are wrong that the law is going into effect later this year. It's been in effect since Feb 2009.

I wouldn't worry about Martha Stewart, she has a battery of lawyers. And you can use whatever you want to make bibs, and items for your own children. So far they haven't invaded our homes to check our closets. You just can't sell them, or donate them.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.